Even more new Henkeis: Red Alert and Smokescreen

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Even more new Henkeis: Red Alert and Smokescreen

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ouch... too much kids' show-friendly red on Red, especially the upper wave of crap. And transparent plastic, by the looks of it.

Smokescreen, however, is a quantum improvement from that small picture. The mould is so flawed as to be miles from rescue, but at least they've done it competently unlike that hamfisted Hasbro skiver. Actually, that one seems to actually eliminate all the needless flaws of the Universe version.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I'm not too keen on Red Alert's head being red, and in this case, the insistence to look like the 80's cartoon doesn't quite work with this mould, but it otherwise looks really nice. Always liked the colour scheme anyway.

As for Smokescreen - yes. Just yes. The colours are better balanced here, and works far better than Hasbro's attempt. Even the race car decals look better here.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I didn't think we'd seen the last of the lambo mould, but wasn't expecting that.

I was, instead, wondering how long it would be before a design team caught sight of Maximum Dinobots and realised how much mileage there'd be in endless Diaclone-inspired Sunstreaker redecos...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm kinda gutted Prowl came out first, to be honest. Prowl or another police car who might as well be Prowl comes out in a new guise every couple of months, and it'd have been nice to officially back Smokey but putting some money up for his reappearance. However, I just can't justify spending money on such a poorly-engineered figure for a second time :( If I didn't know how shit the mould was, I'd do it.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

A new head would have done Red Alert more justice I feel. And different weapons altogether, but anything to save money I guess :nonono:...
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Regardless of how much better a paint job can be from Takara, I'm just too money deficient to be able to import their versions. I can only stick to Hasbro, so the Universe version of Smokescreen will be fine. Wonder when Red Alert will hit here. Also, wasn't too surprised by Red Alert's appearance since the Legends fig is already out. Now it's just a matter of time for Jazz....
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

I'm really not impressed by Red Alert's paint scheme. Smokescreen looks much better. I'm not that find of either character or mold to justify a third purchase though.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I like Red Alert's bot mode, but i hope the actuall toy's car mode isn't as gray-ish, i'd prefer it whiter.

Smokescreen is WIN. This is only the third henkei i consider necessary compared to the hasbro versions. Thank goodness they removed the yellow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Ah, two of my favourite G1 Autobots.

Smokescreen looks absolutely badass. He's got exactly the right amounts of red, blue and white, omits the gaudy yellow entirely and is generally everything the Hasbro version isn't.

They managed to do pretty much everything wrong on Red Alert, though. Ugly cartoon-red head, random splotches of red on the chest, all-white arms, the randomly-chromed spoiler, the lack of a lightbar and the fact that they've omitted the jetpack thingy...all bad choices.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Like the majority, I really like Smokescreen. I don't really mind Red Alert's red head, and since these are simple photoshops, I'll reserve the final judgment until I see the end product.

Then again, I'll get both and whoever else they put out in henkei anyway.

Oddly though, the autobots have hit the 20 + releases mark whilst the decepticons are still dwindling with less than 10 releases.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Knightdramon wrote:Like the majority, I really like Smokescreen. I don't really mind Red Alert's red head, and since these are simple photoshops, I'll reserve the final judgment until I see the end product.

Then again, I'll get both and whoever else they put out in henkei anyway.

Oddly though, the autobots have hit the 20 + releases mark whilst the decepticons are still dwindling with less than 10 releases.
someone here once mentioned that 'bad guys' in japan usually barely get half the releases of good guys. cultural thing, or something. ask nevermore or something, he seems to know about this stuff.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Warcry wrote:Ah, two of my favourite G1 Autobots.

Smokescreen looks absolutely badass. He's got exactly the right amounts of red, blue and white, omits the gaudy yellow entirely and is generally everything the Hasbro version isn't.

They managed to do pretty much everything wrong on Red Alert, though. Ugly cartoon-red head, random splotches of red on the chest, all-white arms, the randomly-chromed spoiler, the lack of a lightbar and the fact that they've omitted the jetpack thingy...all bad choices.
Since Henkei! Sunstreaker and Sideswipe both have the spoiler chromed, can you really claim Red Alert's spoiler being chromed random anymore?;)

Smokescreen is indeed much better than the Hasbro version. Everything just seems to flow better on it. Red Alert looks OK. Not great, but not awful either. I suspect though that we won't see Hasbro's attempt on it until after RotF.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Smokey is much better than the Universe version, like everybody noted. Definitely better than Universe Smokescreen, Prowl or Silverstreak. Red Alert's colour scheme is a bit... weak, and they omitted the engine thing again like in Sideswipe, didn't they?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Ah crap. If this guy comes Stateside, my weak, weak willpower will not allow my to pass him up. I already have the Legends version, but I like the deco, red head and all. The blue windows are sweet.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Of course right after I make my own Red Alert... bastards.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Binal Convoy
Protoform

Post by Binal Convoy »

-
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Red Alert's head looks worse now.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"