Time for RiD to go?

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.

Should the RiD section get scrapped?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 11

StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Time for RiD to go?

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

It's open to you guys, should the Robots in Disguise section of the site be scrapped? Lack of content being the main reason.

Vote Now!!

And if you're so inclined, leave a message with what you think should replace it!!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hasn't Spengs got profiles on the way?

Hmm, I wouldn't scrap it until you've got a decent replacement, though personally I'd be for a Comic section and a Cartoon section, both with subsections. But then I'm like that.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Merge it into Armada. Neither is likely to recieve much aside from profiles and toy reviews, and the RiD logo is going to be used for current releases anyhow...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Hasn't Spengs got profiles on the way?

Car Robots - Japanese Continuity....

I was thinking maybe a seperate section for TFUniverse as it's growing so rapidly...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Might as well lump it in with Armada.

I had an idea about new names for the sections though...

How about G1/G2 being together as Transformers 1984-1995, and Beast Wars/Beast Machines being Transformers 1996-2001, and RiD/Armada being Transformers 2001 - present? I mean, have the dates as subtitles with catchier names for the actual sections of course.

The VoC layout may work for the other sections too, or some variation of it, dunno what you're planning on doing.

I would like to chip in that I think the site should go with more graphics. We have the quality content, now let's add more of the flash bang stuff to attract attention.
Highbrow

Post by Highbrow »

I wouldn't so much get rid of it, as merge it into Beast Wars/Beast Machines, since it follows an alternate continuity of that group.
SCREAM MY NAME IN BINARY!!!!!!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Beast wars\Machines are based off the G1 continuity. Not RID

I think you should keep it though. I'm not sure what you could do to spruce it up
maybe epsiode reviews and more toy reviews?

There wasn't too much to RID was there?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

No. If you need more space, merge with Armada.
Highbrow

Post by Highbrow »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Beast wars\Machines are based off the G1 continuity. Not RID

I take it Car Robots didn't have Predacons..... But wasn't Skybyte a reprogrammed Maximal?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

The predacons from RID were not the predacons from Beast Wars era
and there were no maximals in RID (Except 1 toy but that's beside the point)

In the japanese Car Robots (which is what RID came from) has Cybertrons and Destrongers (no predicon\Decepticon devision)

In Beast Wars The maximals actually take up residance just out side the Ark from G1
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

It shouldn't be scrapped. People should be able to contribute RiD stuff if they're so inclined. A merger with Armada makes sense, and I'd support either a TFU or a G1 Comic section as a replacement.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I would like to chip in that I think the site should go with more graphics. We have the quality content, now let's add more of the flash bang stuff to attract attention.
Would put me off visiting it, for one. Any graphics require careful filesize optimisation. I'd like to see this place accessible to as many people as possible... the fixed-width format (whilst irritating to anyone still stuck with 640x480) has been a step in the right direction, catering for the two main screen resolutions.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Highbrow
But wasn't Skybyte a reprogrammed Maximal?

Never heard that. No cannonical mention of such in RID.

He was a repaint of a maximal toy, though.
Highbrow

Post by Highbrow »

Ahh. I see. I was under the impression that RiD was a continuation of Beast Wars, in a different continuity from Beast Machines. I knew Skybyte was a repaint of Cybershark, but I read somewhere( the name eludes me, I was only there once.) that Skybyte wasn't just a repaint of Cybershark, rather, he WAS Cybershark, and had been reprogrammed by Megatron. But that does clarify things, quite a bit. I always wondered how the Predacons had returned to the size of Autobots and Decepticons, and why there were no Maximals with the Autobots. Maybe the merge with Armada might work, after all.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Would put me off visiting it, for one. Any graphics require careful filesize optimisation. I'd like to see this place accessible to as many people as possible...

Being acessible doesn't make things anymore attractive or interesting though...besides, I'm sure Warp or yourself are more than capable of making graphics with small filesizes.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Being acessible doesn't make things anymore attractive or interesting though...
Whereas it's a definite fact that making things inaccessible reduces their appeal.

Graphics a) eat more production time, b) involve larger filesizes, c) are more time-consuming to update... and if it's a choice between getting up quality content and making a sparse collection of content look pretty...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Do you think a lot of time would be spent updating the images after the initial change? I'm not saying that all the menus should be graphics or anything, but that there should be more images on the site and in the menus - not leading to the sections, but to the side explaining the whole section or something.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Honestly, you've lost me. A specific example'd be useful.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Ok, something I'd suggested to Warp a while back about redoing the different sections was to have an image on the left side of the screen with either some sort of smooth collage of the series in the section, or a single, representative character with a little monologue describing the series and the sections within that section.

Visual explanation...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Visual is good, and the inverted L menu arrangement is justly classic... not sure what kind of image would suit, though...