[Bile] Forbidden Planet Southampton = Scalping Pieces of ****

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

[Bile] Forbidden Planet Southampton = Scalping Pieces of ****

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who frequents the So'ton branch [or rather, frequented], but I'd keep an eye out for other members of the chain doing this. When in So'ton TRU, I noticed one of their employees buying the store's entre stock of reduced Starscreams, Optimus reissues and the PM Op/Jazz deal. When I went in there a couple of days later, the lot were on sale marked up about 100% each. Forbidden Planet are scalping bastards. Avoid them. Anyone know of any sort of regulation they might actually be breaching?
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I don't know about illegal, but I would certainly think it is immoral, and in fact I am sure their corporate offices would appreciate hearing of such practices.

I know in stores like that, and TRU that employees often are the ones taking advantage of buying a hot item en mass, and then reselling them on eBay.

I would follow up with either a nastygram, which I know you would be able to write easily, or a phone call to notify them of this.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh... I had a feeling there was nothing strictly illegal about it... It just pisses me off because the Cardiff branch, for example, goes to the effort of importing the Takara ones, and this lot just scalp all the stock from TRU... and Optimus for one, at £20, is an item quite a few people wuld have wanted. At £40 in a much lower profile store, they won't sell any as most people that into it will realise that they'd be being ripped off, and an imported Takara version would cost about the same. But a call to their management might be the best idea. Either that or smuggling some sort of sign into their shop ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I was pretty amazed at the success rate of eBay auctions on Prime.

If there's stock next time I'm around TRU (I'd never take the last few items of anything) I'll probably pick up one or two to resell. Lots of people have trouble finding the things elsewhere, so a reasonable "finding" mark-up is just that -- reasonable. I think I'm the only person to touch the remaining Rodimus Majors in our local branch, so a couple a time and a low buy-it-now with an incentive such as 'free' p&p is usually a guaranteed sale.

There ought to be something written in store contracts about picking out rare and shortpacked items. Stores lose a lot of business that way.

I'm surprised they're shifting SS even at the reduced price...
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Small business card or index card sized would be the one I would use hehehe :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So, an FP employee bought TRU's sale stock, then sold it to FP, who put it on sale in their shop?

I can't see any rationale for that at all. Even if it's heavily reduced at TRU, it would still be cheaper for them to get it direct from Hasbro UK... which means a smaller outlay and a higher profit margin (especially with FP's prices).
Saul
Protoform

Post by Saul »

In some shops they raise the price for about a week or more then lower it to the original price and have written on it "reduced from this much", so then people will think, damn that's a bargin and it should sell better. Wait and see, hopefully that will happen.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

They were sellling a RID Prime for $50+ last year.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brendocon
So, an FP employee bought TRU's sale stock, then sold it to FP, who put it on sale in their shop?

I can't see any rationale for that at all. Even if it's heavily reduced at TRU, it would still be cheaper for them to get it direct from Hasbro UK... which means a smaller outlay and a higher profit margin (especially with FP's prices).
I would assume he brought it on behalf of FP... but would they be able to order it from Hasbro? Aren't the reissues TRU exclusive? It is possible it was some sort of insane coincidence, but why would the guy be buying it from TRU? Surely he'd be able to wangle wholesale prices as an employee or something?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Aren't the reissues TRU exclusive?

Are they? Dunno... I know FP Cambridge have the reissues in stock, but I've never cared enough to look whether they're imports or Hasbro UK stock.

Thinking about it, I've not seen any trade press for the reissues, so it's plausible that they're exclusives here. Pass.

I'd consider letting Hasbro consumer services know... but if they're not a supplier to FP (and TRU have no way to vet every customer), I doubt they'd have any recourse...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm sure I've heard mentions of the reissues being TRU exclusive in the UK, but I can't remember where... it's quite difficult to tell, as TRU would be practically the only store over here bothering to stock them anyway. I know the So'ton one does at least have access to US imports as they had some RiD months ahead of the UK releases, and did have a Scourge [£64.99, IIRC... worst thing is, I assume some sod bought the thing...].
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

well i dont know about legality but in Tru here in newfoundland canada they had complaints from several people about the g1 stock being bought up by scalpers and they have a limit in place two items per day per customer. maybe u could inquire to get such a thing in place where u are cliffy. i know its a longshot but if tis possible at one tru its possible at annother
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Only problem with that, though, is that the reissues aren't big sellers here... In So'Ton TRU, for instance, the second series has barely arrived because Magnus and Rodimus Major are clogging up the shelves, so TRU will be pretty glad if someone comes in and takes forty of the things off their hands...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

gee thats ****ty man :( well thats about all i can tell ya. well when i go back to university after christmas if i spot anything u are after ill email ya or soemthing u dont know me but i know from your posts that your a comicbook fan so anything i can do to help ya out. ive sent tfs through the mail for people before.:D i know this dont help ya out much now but maybe in the future.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*