thoughts on Ruination colors

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Angus
Protoform

thoughts on Ruination colors

Post by Angus »

What reasons made Hasbro change Baldigus' colors to sell it in the US as Ruination IN YOUR OPINION?

i have a theory: since baldigus bootlegs are very easy to find, very cheap and looks pretty much like the official toy by takara, maybe Hasbro decide to make ruination look a little different to the knock off, so people could tell the difference just by looking at it. does it make any sense?

------------------
Angus
ICQ 1389871
Brasilia-DF,Brazil
Scourge
Protoform

Post by Scourge »

Why the change in colors? Probably to make him appeal to U.S. kids more. And I've gotta say, the silver of Ruination looks much more natural on an army vehicle than the greenish gold of Baldigus. Then why the switch to blue for the tank? I dunno . . . maybe because the blue was cheap and convenient. I'm sure a thousand things are factors when making changes to toys for international releases of toys. But I honestly doubt that knock offs played any role at all in Hasbro's deciding to change the colors of Baldigus for RID . . . But I also do not know.
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Metallic gold flake plastic costs more then flat grey plastic.

------------------

Who is?: Wild Harry, Wildfry Heruld, Wildfighter Herbal, Wildfly Harold, Mildchild Gerald, Wilburforce Hairgel, Wildchild Feral, Widebirth Lovechild, Willy Harrelson, Wally Hell, Wildfur Hairball, Wilco Herring, Wendy Harvard, Wes Holevinski, Wildabeast Gerard, Wildnuts Ferald, Hillbilly Weasel, Wilson Halfwit, Freight-train Hellbound, Wildlife Herald, Wheelchair Fairchild, Wherefore Hendrix, Wimmenfolk Halibut, Where's Harry?, Mildwild Ferald, Wildfry Harry

"'Speedbreaker got a new Spark engine and he was impressed' good, good for him" -Flec on Techspecs

Keep CR alive, refuse retarded western names
SN: ScUm 0 tHe EaRtH
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I think it was to appeal to the kids more.

Most kids would not want to buy it if it were the same toy, same color, but give it a new paint job, and a different name, and oh boy, watch out.

------------------
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Plus you get the anally-retentive completists who just have to have every variant. Hence the Ruination toy is sufficiently different from Baldigus to warrant the collectors buying it.

Bear in mind that the Japanese version had been around long enough for most collectors to have already bought it...

------------------
This post was sponsored by Stately Wayne Manor - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!
Infinity9999

Post by Infinity9999 »

I agree with Wildfire Herald. I usually see that the original Japanese toys use the more metallic and darker paint than the American ones. I bet Hasbro cut costs and used a cheaper flat paint.

------------------
I believe it was the great Socrates who once said: "I drank what?"