Roy Keane resigns from Sunderland

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Roy Keane resigns from Sunderland

Post by AndyTurnbull »

From the BBC site

I'd just finished watching some of Niall Quinn's press conference on Sky Sports News. Every time I think the Premier League has gone as far as it can go with announcements out of left field something else happens.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, weird old decision. If Keane quit, well, not sure what the point was. Uppity fans or no, he'll never get a situation as nice as the one he had there. If Keane was pushed, Sunderland have hit panic too easily... just who do they expect to get instead?
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I'd be more inclined to think Keane jumped, I can't see the Sunderland board being daft enough to punt him out at this stage of the season.

For the life of me I can't fathom why he went though? What club is going to take him now if he can't handle the pressure or feels he has taken a team as far as he can.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, if he quit, that's basically it for his managerial career...

- Best mate as chairman
- £80m transfer kitty
- Revered by fans and press for promotion
- Win-win situation with the club he took over (he couldn't do much worse than Mick & Niall)

All this and he quits the first time the fans are nasty to him? I get that Sunderland fans seem to be an expectant bunch, and that some of his signings were shite, but that's the sort of situation most first-time managers would kill to be in.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

And this isn't the first time Roy has thrown a hissy fit is it?
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

If he's quit he won't get another top flight job in England. So I guess he'll be the front runner for the job of Celtic manager (I really don't see Strachan staying up here another year)!

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I can't see him landing another PL job, not without excelling somewhere else inbetween. Not so much for his results, just for the way he's basically had a tantrum. He's left the club with a massive, expensive squad that won't appeal to most other managers. I'm not so sure Celtic would want him - Strachan had done really, really well at Southampton, ditto O'Neill at Leicester. Keane's ego probably won't let him take on any side outside the top flight either.

I've lost a lot of the grudging respect I'd built up for him as a manager, TBH - if he'd stuck it out to the end of the season, the resources are there to have Sunderland safely in mid-table, and he could walk away with his head held high, and probably onto a better job.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I can't see who else would want the Celtic job, that the board and the fans would be willing to approach. Keane has the name factor, remember the majority of Celtic fans still do not like Strachan despite what he has done at the club.

Yeah Keane has pretty much come out of this looking like a kid who has chucked his toys out of the pram.

Andy
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

And now we have Ince being sacked from Blackburn. And incredibly Souness is the bookies favourite to replace him?!

Andy
Computron

Post by Computron »

anyone want to bet on hughes next and make it a utd trio :)
I support a ban on powerposting