IDW preview art of #0 covers, plus new interview!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

IDW preview art of #0 covers, plus new interview

Post by Denyer »

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin ... ;st=0;r=1;

Image Image

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/the-transformers873.html

I'll be going for the Autobot cover. A nice clean, proportionate style. :)

edit: Nevermore turned up these too...

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... idwoct.htm
Prime Maximus
Protoform

Post by Prime Maximus »

Ooh...thats nice, very nice indeed.

I'm seeing an updated Prowl and its not that far off from the original, I'm thinking I'm going to dig these updates nicely.
Civ

Post by Civ »

To be honest, I like both covers. I like how they're making Astrotrain look rather large. The Autobots' new designs also look rather good with the updated car designs but very similar G1 look.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Did anyone else notice that Ratchet's helmet is in MARVEL colors rather than in cartoon colors?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Did anyone else notice that Ratchet's helmet is in MARVEL colors rather than in cartoon colors?

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't really care though since it just adds a splash more color than a white helmet would. Astrotrain is also black and white (Japanese colors?) instead of gray and purple.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I like the autobot cover. Slight redesigns look good.

I don't like decepticon one. I have trouble Astrotrain taking so much room, and head looks too small (I know, partly because of perspective). Astrotrain's hand is too detailed compared to other parts of his body.

Is that Runamuck?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I wonder if the two later ones are actually used? Megatron is a gun, and Soundwave, who's according to Furman not supposed to appear in the first story arc, is on the background.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

...and seems to be based on the Alternators Ironhide/Skids design?

Me like.
Originally posted by Osku
I wonder if the two later ones are actually used? Megatron is a gun, and Soundwave, who's according to Furman not supposed to appear in the first story arc, is on the background.
Is Megs a gun? He has a cannon, but the body looks sufficiently different—Soundwave might likewise be something boxy.

However, the Starscream differs from the Starscream on the other cover, so you're probably right...

Love the retro, though.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Denyer

I didn't write the second post you're quoting...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Is Megs a gun? He has a cannon, but the body looks sufficiently different—Soundwave might likewise be something boxy.

However, the Starscream differs from the Starscream on the other cover, so you're probably right...
Megatron might be something else, but doubt it. My point with Soundwave was that he's not going to appear in the first story arc. One of the big irritations (at least for me) of Dreamwave's covers for the first miniseries was that the covers had nothing to do with the content inside. I hope IDW won't do the same mistake. :(
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

Originally posted by Civ
Astrotrain is also black and white (Japanese colors?) instead of gray and purple.

No, he`s in his US toys colors.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I didn't write the second post you're quoting...
And the edit button works for you, and you know I'm incompetent when it comes to copy-pasting quotes... :)
Megatron might be something else, but doubt it. My point with Soundwave was that he's not going to appear in the first story arc. One of the big irritations (at least for me) of Dreamwave's covers for the first miniseries was that the covers had nothing to do with the content inside. I hope IDW won't do the same mistake.
That's not to say SW won't be making an appearance in the #0, which is a scene-setting book. Those may be pre- Earth mode forms.

In general I agree covers should be an ad for the content inside, but as long as the main, regular cover is true to the material, a more experimental variant would be fine by me.

I'd like to see some eye-catching text connected to the story inside on the covers, too. It seems to particularly help grab younger readers.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

That's not to say SW won't be making an appearance in the #0, which is a scene-setting book. Those may be pre- Earth mode forms.
Notice the humans running away from Megatron & co. in the cover showing Soundwave? ;)

Experimental variants, great. I can always choose to buy or not to buy. Contradictory to actual content inside, I don't like.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Notice the humans running away from Megatron & co. in the cover showing Soundwave? ;)
In robot mode. There's no indication they've been modified into Earth modes, besides that back cannon of Megatron's, and that could possibly be incorporated into a Cybertronian tank.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Looks nice.
But so did some of DW's early TF covers but I'll try not to pass judgement until I get the book in my hands.

Still wish IDW wouldn't use any of that alternate covers crap though.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Koolbeans X-treme
Protoform

Post by Koolbeans X-treme »

man, i really like how they updated some of the characters, yet kept them the same basically. the 2 i notcied first were starscream and Prowl. Who's that standing next to starscream, the black car?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

If you look closely, you can see treads poking up from Megs' shoulders.
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Quoth Osku:
One of the big irritations (at least for me) of Dreamwave's covers for the first miniseries was that the covers had nothing to do with the content inside. I hope IDW won't do the same mistake. :(
It's not really a mistake.
The thing to remember is that comics and their covers are typically not drawn at the same time. Sometimes the difference between drawing a comic and drawing its cover can differ by months, often because a cover must be drawn first so that it can be used in soliciting the comic book to stores while the comic may not be farther along than the initial pencils (sometimes, not even then – which means that some designs can change radically between cover and comic).
This practice is an accepted part of the comics industry for the past few decades, even from giants like Marvel and DC. To expect a cover to do more than reflect some aspect of the comic's contents (especially when beginning a series) is unrealistic.

Quoth Nevermore:
Looks like they split the difference. The visor/shield thingy on the front is cartoon black.

Quoth Koolbeans X-treme:
Who's that standing next to starscream, the black car?
Runabout. (And not Runamuck, as Darth Shrapnel reminded me.)
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Not that impressed by what I see. I'll still buy them, if I can get them, to have a look at the more important part; that which goes behind the cover.