Any music releases you're particularly excited about?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

Any music releases you're particularly excited about?

Post by Denyer »

You may have heard me rave about the Wildhearts before. Well, someone's finally gotten around to putting out a decent UK retrospective release that serves as a "best of" of their main period. Three discs for the price of an album, with lots of hard to get stuff as well as album tracks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product//B00151G0DO/

Melody, songwriting, loud-as-**** guitar rock. They've got 'em in spades. I also recommend the album that ended this period, Endless Nameless, but that one's more of an acquired taste (lots of wall-of-sound distortion to go with the tunes, and it's a very angry record indeed.)

Anything you've spotted recently that piqued your interest?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

I've heard great things about the Wildhearts, I've even downloaded their new album and a friend almost got tickets for us to see them a few years ago.

Recent bands I'm into include Rooster, Lifehouse, and the latest Hundred Reasons record. I saw Hundred Reasons a few months ago and they were fantastic. The new Powderfinger album's good too and I also saw them a few months ago. Possibly the best live band I've ever seen and I never thought I'd get to see them, as a European tour seemed unlikely. Now if I can just see Lifehouse live I'll be a happy man!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Neuronutter wrote:downloaded their new album
Please, please don't judge them on the basis of the last few years. It's not that recent stuff has been bad, but there was a time when you could guarantee every track was a winner and at the very least would grow on you like alien death spores after a few listens... stuff after Must Be Destroyed failed that acid test, for me at least. The self-titled latest one did go well in music magazines.

They're a good time live, tending to play a wide range of the back catalogue.

What sort of stuff do the ones you mentioned do?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Denyer wrote:Anything you've spotted recently that piqued your interest?
Well excited about new Portishead material.

Also eager to hear more from Sam Sparro. Nice when a track comes out of nowhere that I adore immediately with no knowledge of who/what it is. Interested if the rest of his stuff's any cop.

Is this also a good time to gratuitously plug Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip?

[EDIT] Oh, also The Whip are brilliant.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Hundred Reasons are a British energetic heavy-rock band that have, inevitably, got a bit softer as the years have gone by. I find their first two albums a bit heavy going as they are full on metal, but the next two albums are softer and, I find, better. Their recent single "No Way Back" is a good start point. It takes a few listens to like, so don't worry if you're first impression isn't great, but it really grows on you, and the album "Quick the word, sharp the action" is good.

Lifehouse are an American soft rock band, but good. I can't think of anyone to compare them too, as their sound is unique. Their best song is "Hanging By A Moment" though its quiet slow. I think their third, self-title album is their best. It's quite mellow, so if you like something stronger try "Who We Are" or "Stanley Climbfall."

Rooster are an upbeat British indie rock band with a very warm sound, sorta similar to some American Rock bands like the Counting Crows or the Goo Goo Dolls. Different sound though, very British band. My favourite song by them is "Home", second track on their second album "Circles and Satellites". They broke up a few years ago unfortunately, but their albums are great.

Powderfinger are an Australian rock, yeah I like my rock, band. For a look download "My Happiness". Abso-f*cking-lutely brilliant song from Odyssey No 5, a superb album, by far their best, though Vulture Street, the follow up, is more rocking. Powderfinger have been around donkey's years and so have a classic rocky kind of sound.

Enjoy!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

As of late I have mostly been listening to The Sounds and Ayumi Hamasaki. Pretty much anything by either artist. In between those two I have occasionally been putting in my classic fav, The Misfits, or some Johnny Cash (mostly the Def American releases).
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Since I'm in college, we get access to nice little program called Ruckus. Free music, but it comes with a license. Anyhow, I've been jamming to Electric Six's Senor Smoke and I Shall Exterminate Everything around Me that Restricts Me from being the Master. Good stuff, reminds me a lot of Queen.
That and I've recently bought Alive 2007, just so I could listen to it in my car and put it on my c200.
~
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

I ususaly don't listen to anything. When in my car, i have on country, rock, and alternative. In the morning, i will be listening to the talk radio show Armstrong and Getty.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Ayumi Hamasaki, thanks to Kali's insistance. Misfits, My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, and Guns N Roses as well lately...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I've had on Pandora with artist matching for deftones. that's been working well for me.

that and Hed PE, but that's some awful music, just funny lyrics and sometimes catchy riffs.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Matisyahu, Control Machete, and Los Fabulosos Cadillacs.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Right now.

The end of Back in Black by ACDC.

And right now...

The start of a random trance megamix.

-Ss, random.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You lot babbling on.

Erm, Devil Hunter Yoko, to see if the tape's working...
slartibartfast

Re : So, whatcha listenin' to?

Post by slartibartfast »

http://www.deezer.com

It's useful for filling in the gaps in da music trivia, turns out there are quite a few bands that I should have heard about before. Otherwise, try typing random words into the search engine, or check out compilations, etc. etc. best thing since sliced bread, etc.

Anyway, here's a couple of the bookmarks I nabbed along the way, for the lazy.
RJD2s' deadringer. Nice ambient, music to do stuff to.
Prokofievs' romeo and juliet ballet suites. Indeed :)

But mostly the guys who I owe my current avatar to.

Bonus ! some funky bootlegs :
Queens of the stone age vs. the beatles
Soggy bottom boys vs. Ray charles
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Notabot wrote:Matisyahu
I've actually been listening to his music a lot too. I don't really like the first album as much, but the second one is really great, the lyrics are very well thought out and really go beyond the typical lyricist point of view when it comes to meaning. I'm quite fond of all the Kabbalah references.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Kali wrote:I don't really like the first album as much,
I loved it when I first heard it, then thought the studio album was so much better and sort of left that one for a while. I popped it back in again, and it's fantastic. Give it another shot if you haven't heard it for a while. The guy's amazing in many ways.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Dang it. Now I'm listening to Guns N Roses/Elton John's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Currently early Symposium. Have just acquired some Ultrasound and Ruby Cruiser on a whim, as I liked at least one track by each back in the day...
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Kali wrote:As of late I have mostly been listening to The Sounds and Ayumi Hamasaki. Pretty much anything by either artist. In between those two I have occasionally been putting in my classic fav, The Misfits, or some Johnny Cash (mostly the Def American releases).
Someone who mentions Ayu in a music thread and it's not me? How can this be? Who are you? (edit: nm)

Been listening to new Darude song and some from http://www.midnightbrown.com/ (a plus a plus a plus a plus a plus a plus a plus) as well as Skye Sweetnam, and Ayu's latest Ayu-Mix.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

All of the 80s goodness in GTA VC as Ive started playing it too much again
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.