Can I just, quickly, say...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Can I just, quickly, say...

Post by Cliffjumper »

Seeing as we can't all post in closed topics, can I just say that I am very, very, very rarely genuinely angry about something when I post here (usually just the apparently-okay racism, or when someone totally ignores salient points I make in an on-topic discussion, and they're ignored or dismissed until the poster they're directed at hears exactly the same thing from a mod), and I wasn't then?

Ta. I love you all, or I wouldn't give you so much trouble.

Okay, the "all" bit is a lie. I'm talking to the three people I care about who I've annoyed in the past couple of hours. Yeh, well, I'm too lazy to do PMs right now.

NEXT WEEK: GILES! K9! GRANGE HILL! GUS OFF EASTENDERS! BAD JOKES ABOUT SCHOOL DINNERS! COMMUNISM!
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

I apologize to Sadie's friend who is about to receive 22 dancing squirrels.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
I apologize to Sadie's friend who is about to receive 22 dancing squirrels.

Looks like you may have taken some heat off me. Though the chip in my spine hasn't made my head explode yet anyway. At least, I haven't checked in the mirror, but my shadow looks alright.

Must. Drink. More.
Scout

Re: Can I just, quickly, say...

Post by Scout »

Ta. I love you all, or I wouldn't give you so much trouble.

;) I oughtta frame that for Sadie.

Just - everyone really needs to be very careful with their selection of words. It's very easy to miswrite irritation and trying to make a point to show perspective --- into anger and very aggressive words which then are felt by the receiver as an attack and result in verbal wars. Those in turn generally make the area unpleasant to be in and around.
But apologies really do help if they're sincere and there's more care taken in future instances. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I wasn't aplgosing. It'd wreck one of the few constants of this place if I went around apologising. That said, I really don't want to stress you, Sades and TEH BEEG D out, or anyone else so traumatised they couldn't even post in the topic. And I was being aggressive, just not angry.

Actually, I could just claim the whole thing was a joke. That'd work, right?

EDIT: I'm not a victim either, but I couldn't think of any sort of opposite that didn't sound like e-boasting. No, I can't say that I'm Batman, Brend'll sue. And if I say I'm V, it sounds like I'm trying to bring the board down. Which I'm not. Honest. Not intentionally, anyway.

EDIT II: Miracleman, maybe?

EDIT III: Jenny... no, I don't have the bust for it.

EDIT IV: "No", not "Not". I AM NOT FROM SEATTLE.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

what. the. ****.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
when someone totally ignores salient points I make in an on-topic discussion, and they're ignored or dismissed until the poster they're directed at hears exactly the same thing from a mod
Generally because of the way you've worded it. And there's no need for personal insults, particularly when what people are saying is already far more telling than any number of them.

Save it for the real trolls, like the toy I've just picked up here:

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin ... ct=SF;f=21
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
And there's no need for personal insults

Oh come on, they add FLAVA!
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
what. the. ****.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Feel the restraint. All praise Philip Glass.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Because flame baiting was totally required in a thread meant for apologizing.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I APOLOGISE FOR NOTHING!

I merely regret giving Sadie her fifth ulcer of the year. I also regret Geocities being bastards.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Generally because of the way you've worded it. And there's no need for personal insults, particularly when what people are saying is already far more telling than any number of them.

Oh sweet Jesus...I've been meaning to join the sites forum for some time but I think I'll give it a little more time after seeing that.
Ganza?
-Alex???
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Thing is, I'd feel like a troll meself as I'm not especially keen on the comics...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Aardvark
I've been meaning to join the sites forum for some time but I think I'll give it a little more time after seeing that.
It isn't in any way typical, although I think we may gain a mod soon.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Originally posted by Aardvark
I've been meaning to join the sites forum for some time but I think I'll give it a little more time after seeing that.
Ganza?

There are always going to be individs who do stuff like that. That's a classic troll, and they almost always get removed from every board very quickly. But what I see there is that the rest of the people posting recognize it's a clueless arse of a troll, and are dealing with it as such. That one will probably have its head stuffed and mounted on a wall shortly. Don't let one jerk put you off of participating in a place that could be fun otherwise. :)

And expressing negative opinions about something by itself isn't trolling if it's how you really feel. But, it's the way that it's done - and the amount of times it's said that makes all the difference. Cliffy- if you don't like IDW, maybe you should tell them in a constructive form on the board.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Just like to say a few things... Some probably think it isnt my place, but then every single poster who isnt a mod/admin stands on the same footing.

Cliffy, we've had our disagreements in the past, and most of the stuff you argue on is correct. I read that comment and felt the same way as you, I didnt see it as a joke, I saw it as someone jumping on the Tom Cruise hate train, sure maybe nowadays his star only shines so bright due to his previous success, but he is a better actor than people give him credit for and has a charisma you dont often find.

Having said that I managed to simply hit the back button, its not important enough to spend time arguing. and also your posts; far more than Bombshells, present a bad image, if a new poster were to come on to this area, open up that thread and see you lambaste Bombshell and Cyberstrike they would be severely disheartened as to joining this forum.

Basically Cliffy, I dont think youre argumentative, I just think your passionate, you have a passion for facts and accuracy... But that isnt always a good thing. Sometimes; especially in such a low-brow thread as the Tom Cruise one, you gotta think... Is it really worth it?

Theres my two-cents, now I admit it IM MOTU MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry to disappoint you, but Im not, I was just kidding.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

[@ Scout] Why, though? they're not actually going to listen to any of my suggestions or anything, so I'm cool risking Thoughtcrime here. that said, I just registered, though I can't be arsed to wade through old discussions, so I might post there when #5 comes out.

[@ CP] TEH BACKBUTTON ENCOURAGES TACIT EMBRACMENT OF IDIOCY! CLIFFY CRUSH KILL DESTROY!

Bandwagonjumpers are the lowest form of poster, worse even than trolls. By letting their posts go, you're basically saying "hey, it's okay for you to come here, borrow a seven year old's sense of humour and post something totally void of interest". I'm... teaching life lessons. Yeh, that's it.

Hang on, I'm going all soapboxy again. My bad!

Turns out I just didn't order BW#3. Yay!
Scout

Post by Scout »

I do feel that the companies that are publishing the comics right now do have an interest in how the fans are reacting. Listening to many artists and panels over the last 16 years from Comicon to Gencon, to Botcon and OTFCC, I've gotten the very strong impression that they do care how their product is being looked at from the fan base (for whichever series it is). The biggest issue I remember was actually at a comicon many years back with the Death of Superman. It didn't go over well at all.

Anyway, moving on past that- I believe that the IDW guys probably do read the boards from time to time, or at least skim them to see how their work is coming across. When you take the time to create something special, put a lot of work into it, you hope others like it too. It certainly can't hurt, and it also gives something of interest to talk about. :)

And for everyone else who might be thinking to continue, the public comments pertaining to previous interactions with Cliffy should end now- use tact, taste and best judgement since the points (and implied apology) have already been made. Know when to stop, or to talk things over privately.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Scout
(and implied apology)

Just to clarify, while I agree with the sentiment of that post, I stand by every word I said to Bombshell and nTo. I apologise only for terrorising Sadie, yerself and Denyer.

I'm pretty sure IDW would listen, it's whether they'd take anything in. It'd absically come down to Furman's been writing Transformers for 21 years and knows what he's doing, so why don't you just piss off, we shift 30,000 copies a month, so I'm skepticalof the value of complaining. Besides which, my primary complaint is "Can we have some movement in Infiltration, please?", and the thing's practically finished, so it'd be moot anyway.