Human Alliance Figures - Any Issues? - Is Jazz worth it?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Human Alliance Figures - Any Issues? - Is Jazz worth it?

Post by numbat »

A couple years on, and my Human Alliance Bumblebee is looking a little worse-for-wear. It's the only figure I've bought in the last ten years other than Henkei Astrotrain that has been subject to paint-wear (although Astrotrain came with it...).

The black racing stripes seem to be rather flaky (on mine at least).

As ROTF HA Bumblebee is the only HA figure I own (I was impressed with him - I've just not been in a position to buy any others at a reasonable price), I don't know if quality issues are common in the line...

I do have DOTM HA Roadbuster and HA Leadfoot enroute, and am very-much looking forward to receiving them, but imagine they are far enough removed to be subject to the same issues (although they may have all new ones!). I'm also considering picking up HA Soundwave (anyone have him - any good? He gives the impression of a figure that doesn't stand up well to photographs but could be good in person with a bit of fiddling...).

However, I was looking at getting hold of ROTF HA Jazz (who's available at just less than the original RRP here and there - anywhere cheaper than £26.99 let me know!). Is he worth it? Does he have similar issues to my Bumblebee?

(I would love to get HA Mudflap and HA Barricade, but at the prices they're going for now, that aint happening... Although if you know of anywhere selling these guys at a reasonable price I'd be very interested!)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Well, I hadn't bought a Transformer for myself since 1988 (Goldbug or Battletrap I think), and last week I bought ROTF Human Alliance Jazz from Toys R' Us for £14.99

I grew up with the original diaclone G1 toys and was a massive fan of the Jazz toy from that era. Some say they have all the playability of nicely coloured bricks but that never once mattered to me, their sheer awesomeness and a childs imagination helped smooth over the cracks. As such I always found them endlessly playable and had guys like:
  • Smokescreen
  • Mirage
  • Red Alert
  • Jazz
  • and some others, but I can't remember who.
After that I got a few Beast Wars and Animorphs figures for my nephews and they were proper fun. Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron are fantastic toys.

So last week I saw Human Alliance Jazz in the shop. I'd read Paul053's glowing review a while before and also read somewhere that he was quite a hard Transformer to find. The allure was there just like it was back in the 80's and I had to get him.

I think he's a excellent toy, with articulation surpassing the Beast Wars toyline (I imagine). The engineering that goes into them today is so impressive, and the shiny silver paintwork seems fine to me. Everything clicks together so well, and he's got some real height to him. Its something else the way they've crammed it all in when in car mode, and to have space for a driver and passenger!

I wholeheartedly recommend him. He looks awesome & can pull any pose. I don't think he's child friendly though, quite a tricky transformation, I think a kid would break him out of frustration, but once you've done it a few times it makes sense.

Car mode is stunning in terms of all the details. The join lines I can excuse because it's all been done so well. It would've been nice if the tyres were made of rubber and had chrome hubcap spokes, maybe its a cost thing?

Still, to my mind the Human Alliance figures represent modern day diaclone toys; realistic looking cars turning into robots.

So yeah, Human Alliance Jazz is cool as f***. Buy him if you can :)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh yeah, check out this incredible custom paint job done by kitbash king Frenzy_Rumble.

Tell me you don't want this toy now!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

My friend, why ask? JUST GO GET HIMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

Jazz is awesome. Purely awesome. Auntie Slag said it all. (Ah! I remembered now, you are not a Jazz fan. :p) Well, even that, this is an awesome toy.

Barricade is also pretty nice but I kind of don't like his hip design. It works better after I did some cutting works.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cheers guys.

And you're bang on Paul053. I have just never been into G1 Jazz. Perhaps because he was my younger bro's favourite... That's been a bit of an obstacle to enjoying Jazz figures since...

HA Jazz does look pretty cool. But I think I might wait a little. I have a lot of HA figures on the way (HA Soundwave, HA Leadfoot, HA Roadbuster, HA Skids and HA Mudflap - as the opportunities arose), so should probably hold off for a few months to ensure my marriage survives the purchases!

:lol:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.