Becoming a Teacher/Tutor at a College

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Lord Zarak

Becoming a Teacher/Tutor at a College

Post by Lord Zarak »

I'm interested in teaching politics at college/sixth form level. I've tried looking at the governments teaching page, but that only regards teaching at school level.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do next, or which web sites to have a shufty at. I know I prolly need a PGCE, but they too only seem to deal with teaching at school level.

HELP!!!
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Well, is college/sixth form like college and University here in N.America?

If so then, for college you at least need a bacholars or a masters and for university you need a PhD. At least thats what I have been told by the councillers. I am aiming for PhD so I can teach uni.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, if you're looking to be a professor, they won't even look at you unless you have a Ph.D. and possibly some post-doc. However, what you can do is become a teaching fellow, so that you can teach college students, while earning the advanced stuff. That will give you a basic idea of what it's like.

That's probably what I'd like to do if I can get into a Theology program. I would love to teach at a seminary one day.
Jetfire

Re: Becoming a Teacher/Tutor at a College

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak

Anyone have any ideas what I should do next, or which web sites to have a shufty at. I know I prolly need a PGCE, but they too only seem to deal with teaching at school level.

HELP!!!

You can teach in a 6th form college without a PGCE if you have a degree. I've a friend who taught history in a in 6th form college recently. Though I'd recomend getting a PGCE now if sceondary school is a consideration.

I'd go to http://www.tes.co.uk for information and a excellent teaching job search engine (For all levels of non-uni education) and a excellent online community of thousands of teachers: http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/ and http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/ ... ucation%2f for the further education discussion. Or even buy the TES paper on a friday (Or or the guartdian on a tuesday or The Times on a thursday):)
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Originally posted by CloudStrifer

College/sixth form for us is what happens before University but after school, typically from 16 to 18, with uni being 18 onwards.
Its what generally getting a university placement depends upon.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Ah, I see. It's kinda like the upperclassmen level of High School. Well, you probably won't need a PhD, then. One of my friends teaches people that age (geometry), and she only has a BS in Chemistry Education (I guess she's certified to teach Math, Chemistry and Physics because of the courses they made her take, though).
Lord Zarak

Re: Re: Becoming a Teacher/Tutor at a College

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
Too long to repeat

Awesome, thank yee very much!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by CloudStrifer

If so then, for college you at least need a bacholars or a masters and for university you need a PhD. At least thats what I have been told by the councillers. I am aiming for PhD so I can teach uni.

You don't always need a PhD to teach at the College level. I teach video editing classes on the side and only have a BA.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Originally posted by Jim
You don't always need a PhD to teach at the College level. I teach video editing classes on the side and only have a BA.

I did mention that College only needs a Bachalors or a Masters. PhD's are for University obvisously.

On that note, what is the average time to complete one? & years I am guessing?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I looked for specifics at one point, but nothing much to add to what Dan turned up... to expand/clarify a bit, a PGCE is useful because it enables you to move vertically and schools with sixth forms will be keen to get staff they can rely on for covering other lessons if pressed, whereas without you may be limiting yourself to separate sixth form colleges. A bit of versatility doesn't hurt.