Transformers G1 Unofficial Archive, by Ocular Max

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Ryan F

Transformers G1 Unofficial Archive, by Ocular Max

Post by Ryan F »

Dunno if any of you guys have already heard about this, but a bunch of TF fans under the collective name of Ocular Max are doing a kickstarter campaign for a cool-looking set of books:

Basically it's a photographic archive of all the G1 toys (including variants, European and Japanese exclusives) in a couple of hefty volumes. The photography looks excellent.

After a strong early start, the number of new pledgers has begun to tail off, so extra support would be much appreciated.

International shipping is way-pricey, but then again these books will be super-heavy hardbacks, so not really surprising. On the plus side, books are exempt from import duty so at least there'll be no ransom note from Parcel Force asking for additional cash.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... user_menu#
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Looks nice, and reminds me of the Cybertronian Guides. I'd be more interested in the second volume. Nice design work and a good idea.Price guide is a bit pointless - why print something that's going to be immediately out of date and / or puts you at risk of being accused of massaging aftermarket figures, like Alvarez with his guides?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just been shitcanned, with many suggesting a Hasbro C&D is responsible. We thinking the Transformers in the title making it impossible to ignore? Or that there's something official in the offing that got it stomped on? Really Hasbro/IDW/whoever need to make better use of the licence for non-comic printed TF material; a US G1-centric version of Generations with English text would have crossover potential.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Damnit, I wanted that volume 2.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote: Really Hasbro/IDW/whoever need to make better use of the licence for non-comic printed TF material; a US G1-centric version of Generations with English text would have crossover potential.
Particularly if there are larger versions of the photos around.

Doubt the many other unofficial books are likely to be affected, whereas a crowd-funded project is at risk of being viewed as trading on association. Incidentally the Alvarez one seems to be getting a reissue.

Page says: "Ocular Echo has reason to hope that there might be an official door opening… but only time will tell as to how discussions pan out."

Dealing with terrorists isn't a great idea. Name and shame, and move on.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeah, some of the more rational theorising seems to be the same area that tripped Brendan up back in the day - that by overtly asking for money on a highly visible platform they're effectively selling under the trademarks in a way that could give precedence to less altruistic efforts. Whereas IIRC the likes of the Alvarez books, CRGs etc. were privately funded and easier for Hasbro to ignore; really they let a lot slide when they could just fire off C&Ds to everyone and likely not ever have to answer any of the cases in court. I seriously doubt they relish stuff like this, especially considering the fannish bent of a lot of people actually involved in the franchise seem to have, but I guess lawyers have said "if you let fans do this then Unscrupulous Company can do this". Plus again using Transformers in the title is a big red flag I think.

TBH though they'd be daft outright bomb the project out; there are so many nerds who'd be happy to compile this sort of thing for free, just get the lawyers to give it a pass and endorse the thing for a cut. Also think there's real potential in an all-ages book like the ones DK do with Lego - a fun, zippy guided history of the line which dials down the fanboys and appeals to kids as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:Plus again using Transformers in the title is a big red flag I think.
Don't think it's a question of ignoring or keywords on a book -- eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Vinta ... 440246408/ isn't by a vanity imprint, the publisher has been around for decades.

Kickstarter would complicate things regardless of titling it Transformers Unofficial Pics or Increasingly Less Fragile Shit: Why Diecast and Thin Plastic Don't Mix. Partly because it's a big red flag that there's limited funds sloshing around and the project will fold on receiving threats.

Have you seen the Transformers Vault one? Sort of a DK-esque history skim thing.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

These people who try and make money off the Transformers intellectual property with their unofficial books should be tarred and feathered.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!