Dolphins: Smarter than us?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

So? Flippers and frolicking or hands and guns?

Yes! Dolphins!
56%
No! Hairless apes!
44%

Total votes: 16

Denyer

Dolphins: Smarter than us?

Post by Denyer »

Regardless of IQ, I feel they have the lifestyle...
moonbaseone
Protoform

Re: Dolphins: Smarter than us?

Post by moonbaseone »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Regardless of IQ, I feel they have the lifestyle...
Well,
they don't go to war,
they don't fight for no reason,
the don't destroy the Earth or nature,
they don't kill eachother off for no reason.

Funny how we are supposed to be the smartest species on Earth, yet we cause the most damage to it?
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

*Looks at most people in goverment*

Damn right they are.
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

I read about some scientist who claimed that dolphins were much smarter than us, but as it turns out, he was on acid..
Computron

Post by Computron »

Dolphins smarter than us?

Not really

IMHO opinion as much as we joke no animal is as smart as us. Sure we create war and oother meaningless stuff but if you put 2 male dolphins and one female in a tank you'd probably have a fight on your hands too. Animals are "romanticised" way too much about their perfect lifestyle but a lot goes on that most people don't know about
I support a ban on powerposting
Denyer

Dude...

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Computron
if you put 2 male dolphins and one female in a tank you'd probably have a fight on your hands too
...you're the one who persistently gets involved in pub brawls...
RoadRunnerClone
Protoform

Dolphins...

Post by RoadRunnerClone »

Hey, dolphins can take man any time. All they have to do is strap bombs to themselves and can kill many people. The government has tried to do it, but I'm sure the dolphins did not like being man's slave. They are faster, can swims deeper and longer, and they have one heck of a sonar system. Can we beat dolphins? No, let us all pray that dolphins do not rebel!!!

-Satan's Little Helper

Oh, and by the way, let us also hope penguins don't join them!!!
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Re: Re: Dolphins: Smarter than us?

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Originally posted by moonbaseone

Well,
they don't go to war,
they don't fight for no reason,
the don't destroy the Earth or nature,
they don't kill eachother off for no reason.

Funny how we are supposed to be the smartest species on Earth, yet we cause the most damage to it?
yup, i agree.

And dolphins ARE much smarter than humans, and thier a bit less violent-prone, destroy the earth type of animal... Humans are the ones who are willing to kill themselves, occasionally, simply to kill others, wheras dolphins are much more peacefull,
He's alive. Go figure.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

dolphins may be smart but they CANNOT make the bombs in the first place
nor can they strap bombs to themselves either.
I betcha you couldn't even teach a dolphin (or chimp, for that matter) the periodic table of elements and the full meaning.

Dolphin courting behavior is on the violent side--male dolphins bite, slap and ram against females. And dolphins HAVE been known to do other things that are "violent."

Animal wars in general DO exist: ie Lions vs Lions (different prides), Lions vs Hyenas, to name a couple.

Killer Whales are supposed to be the SMARTEST of them ALL and they ARE a type of DOLPHIN. And what do they do? Well S*** there's a REASON they were called KILLER whales :rolleyes:

Please note - replacing a letter with a symbol that's virtually identical is NOT acceptable censorship. Merci beaucoup. - Brend
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
The Green Knight

Yeah, well, if the Dolphins are so smart, how come they can't get out of those tuna nets?
S
Protoform

Post by S »

Originally posted by Snake
I read about some scientist who claimed that dolphins were much smarter than us, but as it turns out, he was on acid..
The scientist or the dolphin?
Originally posted by Sheba
I betcha you couldn't even teach a dolphin (or chimp, for that matter) the periodic table of elements and the full meaning.
You can't even teach the "full meaning" of the periodic table to most humans.
- S
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

dolphins may be smart but they CANNOT make the bombs in the first place
nor can they strap bombs to themselves either.
The ability to create mass destruction or learn why elements do what they do doesn't necessarily indicate intelligence, in my book.
Killer Whales are supposed to be the SMARTEST of them ALL and they ARE a type of DOLPHIN. And what do they do? Well S*** there's a REASON they were called KILLER whales :rolleyes:
And? It's what they do.
The law of the jungle (erm, ocean) - kill to live. Humans kill for kicks.

Who's smarter?

>insert that quote from HHGTG about "humans thinking they're smarter than dolphins for the exact same reasons that dolphins would disagree" here. Denyer knows the one I mean. <
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Yeah, well, if the Dolphins are so smart, how come they can't get out of those tuna nets?
If your so smart why can't you get out of one :p

Humans a intelectally ahead because of posable thum's etc.

Dolphins may be smarter but humans have the edcuation.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Damn, you beat me to it.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

You cannot PROVE that dolphins are smarter than humans. At least, not by any measure we have today. Knowledge of chemical reactions and how to use them effectively in a way like people do is a sign of intelligence. And explosives are a chemical reaction. Whereas you COULD learn the periodic table, not ONE dolphin could. NOT ONE.

Ok if dolphins are so smart why don't they HAVE opposable thumbs? And WHY haven't they in their limited capacity of flippers and mouth at least attempted to contruct things like hospitals or bomb shelters? Why don't they try to find out what coral is made of? Hell if they're SO DAMN SMART, why aren't they eating F***ING SEAWEED instead of fish? After all, isn't it a sign of not only intelligence, but UNDERSTANDING, to CONSCIOUSLY make a decision NOT to eat meat? If a Dolphin CANNOT make that decision, are they REALLY THAT SMART?! Go on with ya!

And it's NOT true that ONLY humans kill 'for kicks'--what the heck do you think is going on when a pack of dogs tears up a flock of sheep and eats NONE of it?
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
RID Scourge

Are you calling me stupid . . .

Post by RID Scourge »

After all, isn't it a sign of not only intelligence, but UNDERSTANDING, to CONSCIOUSLY make a decision NOT to eat meat?
Because I eat meat? ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

You cannot PROVE that dolphins are smarter than humans.
And you can't prove the opposite. Which is exactly the point of this thread, to get a gauge of opinion.
Ok if dolphins are so smart why don't they HAVE opposable thumbs?
Yeahahahahhahahaa. Hoh boy.

[quote[ And WHY haven't they in their limited capacity of flippers and mouth at least attempted to contruct things like hospitals or bomb shelters?[/QUOTE]

Because they have no need for them. Their life is simple, and free of the moral restraints that tie mankind up in neurosese and hang-ups.
Why don't they try to find out what coral is made of? Hell if they're SO DAMN SMART, why aren't they eating F***ING SEAWEED instead of fish? After all, isn't it a sign of not only intelligence, but UNDERSTANDING, to CONSCIOUSLY make a decision NOT to eat meat? If a Dolphin CANNOT make that decision, are they REALLY THAT SMART?! Go on with ya!
They don't give a flying one, that's why. They don't care. They do what they've always done, and don't worry about changing for the sake of it.
Also see previous points about moral restraints. Why eat fish? Because that's the way nature works. They don't question it, and thy have no reason to.
And it's NOT true that ONLY humans kill 'for kicks'--what the heck do you think is going on when a pack of dogs tears up a flock of sheep and eats NONE of it?
I never said it was true. I was just drawing a distinction. Calm yer horses.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Petshop Girl: Animals don't wage war.

Death: What are you talking about? Animals fight all the time.

Petshop Girl: Not with nuclear arms. You can't hug your children with nuclear arms.

*Death touches the Petshop Girl, and she dies*

Death: Check please.

-From Family Guy
The Green Knight

"If your so smart why can't you get out of one"

I'm too smart to be caught on tuna nets, especially on dry land.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

I cannot believe how crazy this has gotten.

Well, I think we have two options... :-)

The correct one (Dolphins ain't as lerned as me)

or dolphins are MUCH more intelligent than we are and choose to hide it.

I tend to believe that dolphins are pretty advanced mammals, and are intelligent as far as animals go. They can be taught tricks and they can learn fairly complicated things. However, they don't hold a candle to most people (present company probably excepted :p )

Looks as if we're going to argue over what intelligence is. Well, being the dork I am, I just looked it up. Ability to learn or apply knowledge.

BTW, we could easily take dolphins. They cannot get us on land, but we sure can take it to them in the ocean. Look at all the damage we've done without declaring war on them already...
--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.