Better pics of movie Blackout in packaging

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Better pics of movie Blackout in packaging

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Well, cool. :)

One, Scorponok is painted and two his hands don't seem as white. :D

I still think his head looks like an homage to Soundwave...even more so now that we can get a good look at him.

Still not sure what I think about automorphing...I mean, what fun is the transformation if it happens automatically? (I know it's not all of it, but you get my point)

So far, Blackout, the figure, is by far my favorite one. Very well done and very cool.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Megatimus
Protoform

Post by Megatimus »

Originally posted by Brimstone

I still think his head looks like an homage to Soundwave...even more so now that we can get a good look at him.

He is Soundwave I;m telling you. Bay wasted this design and personality on a former Micromaster.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

One, Scorponok is painted and two his hands don't seem as white. :D

Keep in mind that what you see DEPICTED ON the packaging is a hand-painted early prototype. Those images would predate any painted test shots. And thus, painted test shots would be closer to the final toy than stock photos depicted on the packaging.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Okay, so the hands might still be unpainted and white...but that first picture at least shows a painted Scorponok in the pacakge at least (which was not the case with the one we saw a while back that was perched on Blackout's arm).
Originally posted by Megatimus
He is Soundwave I;m telling you. Bay wasted this design and personality on a former Micromaster.
Well, reading the profile on the back certainly has a ring of Soundwave to it. And I know one of the early rumors was that Soundwave was to be a helicopter.

If this was originally intended to be Soundwave, I'm not sure we can blame Bay for it not being him now. My guess would be the "huge" out cry on Don Murphy's site about Soundwave not being a casette recorder that is to blame for this not being Soundwave.

But look on the bright side...now if he gets killed, you don't have to worry about Soundwave not being around anymore. :)

(still the more I see, the more I wish they had made this Soundwave)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Blackout Superior, Soundwave Inferior.

The bio is cool, telling us Blackout is the biggest Decepticon. If the bio didn't tell us that, we wouldn't know by the size of the toy.

I am diggin all these movie toys. Blackout is one of the best.
Come on and wind me up.
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

I honestly don't get what stuff like this means. It's like when people complain about Starscream not being Starscream.

Don't people get that this isn't a continuation of G1 and there's no particular reason for the characters to bear any resemblance to their G1 counterparts or share any personality with them at all? It's not like Transformers has never had name reassignments before, why would it be any different now.

Granted some characters are similar to their former "incarnations" especially Optimus Prime and Megatron, but those two are pretty much archetypes at this point.

Really what particular difference does it make whether this guy is named Blackout or Soundwave or Vortex or Flywheels or Fred? The only particular connections this guy would have with any past Soundwave or Blackout or whatever are whatever connections the audience chooses to make.
If this was originally intended to be Soundwave, I'm not sure we can blame Bay for it not being him now. My guess would be the "huge" out cry on Don Murphy's site about Soundwave not being a casette recorder that is to blame for this not being Soundwave.
I really think that's giving the stupid g1 fanboys far too much credit. Not to mention it's kind of a dumb line of reasoning considering that G1 Soundwave has been a cassette player 2 times (not counting Japanese exlusives or reissues), a car 1 time and a missile carrier thing 2 times. And that's not including any of the other guys named Soundwave.
Megatimus
Protoform

Post by Megatimus »

Apart from Beast Wars, the film is the closest incarnation to G1. Everybody, including Don Murphy, wanted Soundwave in the film and the sheer irony is that whilst they flipped around with some freaky CD-player type eventually named Frenzy, the closest character to Soundwave as we know and love him is named something else!
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Boo hoo, they already said Soundwave was comming in the sequel.

Jesus some people are so lost. There arw some who just wanted MTMTE redone with cgi and are now pissed cause it's all new.

:rolleyes:
Come on and wind me up.
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

Apart from Beast Wars, the film is the closest incarnation to G1.
Technically, Beast Wars is a continuation of G1. But, really, what does this movie have to do with G1 at all? How does the movie connect with G1? What similarities are there? Other than in the way that every Transformers series is similar where there are Autobots and Decepticons (or whatever names they go by) fighting each other and they're from Cybertron and they wind up on Earth?
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by dotCommunism
Technically, Beast Wars is a continuation of G1. But, really, what does this movie have to do with G1 at all? How does the movie connect with G1? What similarities are there?
I think it's mostly characterization. They may not look like G1 and the story is not G1, but I think the characters are more based off the G1 versions of these guys than they are any of the others. (Optimus Prime being the noble leader, Bumblebee is the lovable underdog, Jazz is the loyal cool guy, Ratchet is the medic, Ironhide is the gizzled warrior, Starscream is the backstabbing underling, Blackout-originally-Soundwave is the trustworthy number two...uh, beyond that I don't know much about the Decepticons in this movie).

Anyway, that's where the connection to G1 comes from essentially. And actually, have there been any other Bumblebees or Jazzes or Ratchets since G1? So, maybe names, too.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

numbat

Post by numbat »

Well, I'm just keen to see Scorponok painted in the final release, as the images so far have been very poor. Otherwise, Blackout ruled before, Micky Mouse gloves or not, and shall no doubt rule upon release!

And, I like the idea that we have a character that has evolved from Soundwave, and become a new and potentially iconic chap in his own right. Plus, it leaves the possibility of Soundwave getting a good characterisation in a sequel (as suggested) when there is less need to spend time establishing what the whole TF thing is about.

I just hope Blackout gets more story time in future cartoons or films etc! The bio and designs are just too great to be waisted!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Megatimus
Protoform

Post by Megatimus »

Originally posted by another tf fan

Jesus some people are so lost. There arw some who just wanted MTMTE redone with cgi and are now pissed cause it's all new.
:rolleyes:

I don't particularily care for the cartoon really beyond the voices and the Movie's role in Marvel UK continuity. It's just Blackout is so much of a Soundwave it does seem lame they went to all this trouble with Frenzy and are now putting him in the sequel when he's right there.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Bay "wasted" the design because Geewun hardcore fans complained about Soundwave being a helicopter, when he should be a tape player and nothing else and the movie should be set in 1984 and whatnot.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Bay "wasted" the design because Geewun hardcore fans complained about Soundwave being a helicopter, when he should be a tape player and nothing else and the movie should be set in 1984 and whatnot.

But of course!

Naw, only kidding.

;)

I really am loving the revamp / reinterp. I'm not, personally, fussed how many original character names are used, and am rather thrilled about the possibility of some new and maybe ultimately iconic guys entering the fray.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Megatimus
Protoform

Post by Megatimus »

Originally posted by numbat

I really am loving the revamp / reinterp. I'm not, personally, fussed how many original character names are used, and am rather thrilled about the possibility of some new and maybe ultimately iconic guys entering the fray.

Well, I am just going to say it for the last time. Having Soundwave appear in a film and not be named Soundwave, it's just bothersome and wasteful when the character is set up in a sequel having had a brilliant prototype.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Bumblebees or Jazzes or Ratchets since G1? So, maybe names, too.

G2/G2/Micron Legend/Universe! CLIFFY FOR THE NERD POINTS!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*falls off chair in honest-to-God excitement, recovers to high-five Ratchet from Infiltration SOS.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
G2/G2/Micron Legend/Universe! CLIFFY FOR THE NERD POINTS!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*falls off chair in honest-to-God excitement, recovers to high-five Ratchet from Infiltration SOS.

Well played Clerk.....well played.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Ackula
Well played Clerk.....well played.
Obscure Clerks cartoon reference, woo hoo! :)

As for Cliffy's post, I guess I should have been most specific. G2 is technically still the G1 story line, right?

I guess my question should have been, have there been any of those character names in RiD, Armada, Energon, or Cybertron? :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone