The lamest gift you've ever given someone.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

The lamest gift you've ever given someone.

Post by Sades »

I once gave someone a bunch of Coca-Cola glasses and a dustbuster as a wedding gift. I think that was pretty lame.

If this topic gets knocked off topic, I'll rip out your heart and eat it. And then stomp on your corpse.

[/stressed]
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

About a year ago, I gave my friend the 24: Season 1 box set for his 18th birthday. Lame? Yes Sir! I found it in the charity shop I occasionally work in -- turns out it’s in some keraaazzzy region that wouldn't play on his DVD player. Though I looked the fool, I was the only person who got him anything…

My friends and family don't really do the gift-giving thing, so I haven't been the perpetrator nor have I been the victim of particularly shoddy gifts.
-Alex???
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Got someone the Collins GEM Dictionary of Sex as a wedding present, but did include the five-book edition of the HHGTTG as well...

They'd asked for non-practical stuff, as house things were pretty much sorted.

Nothing wrong with functional presents for most people.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I hope people realized I was kidding about the heart/corpse thing.

Sorta. ;)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I bought my girlfriend a graphics tablet for her birthday a couple of years back in an attempt to get her to use her laptop for something other than the 'net and watching dvds... i think she plugged it in once just to humor me.

*rummages around the closet for any more skeletons*

i also bought her a board game i wanted to play once. i think my step-dad got a 24 eposure film and my brother got a plectrum in a matchbox at some point too...

that's not including the 'gifts' that i ended up opening and keeping for myself in the most greedy, bastardly manner possible :(
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I buy great presents. Mainly because when it comes to Christmas/Birthdays I only buy for the clsoest family and friends.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yourself?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I would like to think that I give good prezzies to people. Did get hubby socks this last Chrimbo, but, in my defence, he had told his mum he wanted some and then she told me and, well, you know how it is with mothers-in-law. Even for girls.

It's all those lame gifts that I've been given...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

A pack of 50 empty CDs for somebody's birthday. In my defense...I decided to attend his party half an hour earlier...:\
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Just this past Christmas, I decided to play a joke on my brother. It all began with me asking him what he wanted for the holidays and he just didn't tell me for weeks on end. I kept pushing him for a list and it got somewhat irksome because I wanted to just get him a gift and be done with it since I hate last minute shopping.

One night, I was talking to a buddy of mine at a local shop and he was telling all kinds of stories about the gift gags that he has done. One of his previous gags was a Chia Pet. So after hearing my frustrations with my brother, he recommended getting a Chia pet to teach my bro a lesson.

So I went looking for a Chia Pet and damn, was it hard to find one. I thought they would be available for like a dime a dozen just about anywhere but my local Walmart and Target didn't have any to my surprise. I had to go to K-mart to find one and had no idea they were seasonal merchandise. Anyway, my brother finally did get me his list and yes, I did get him a real present but I was going to spring this gag on him regardless.

When I came home for Christmas, I immediately clued my parents in on what was going to happen. Surprisingly, they didn't raise any objections and started chuckling in anticipation. I set everything up and gave him the fake gift on Christmas Eve.

When he opened the gift, the look on his face was priceless. It was a mix of "WTF?!" and "how do I react to this?" and the only thing he could think of was "I gave you a list, right?". At that moment, my parents and I broke down laughing and I gave him the real gift. The kicker to the whole gag though is that the Chia Pet I gave him came with a 25th Anniversary alarm clock that sounded "Ch-ch-ch-chia!" which only made us laugh even harder.

For anyone wondering what a Chia Pet is since I don't know how well known it is outside of the States...

http://www.chia.com/

Ummm...that's about the closest I get to giving a lame gift.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by saysadie
Yourself?

Hey! I have friends. Well, people who make me want to drink mainly but hey...

Actually, now I think of it, one present did go wrong this year. My old mucker Gary, who doesn't watch Doctor Who, caught the first episode of Torchwood and rang me to say "Dear God, I don't know what's wrong with me liking this freaky stuff, but that was the best thing ever in the whole world ever!"

Ah ha I thought, for Christmas I'll get him the vanilla Who DVD's with Captain Jack in that set up the back story to the spin off show. I buy them and alls good untill I speak to him a few days before the big one and he tells me he hasn't watched any Torchwood since and had forgotten all about it.

The present I got him for his birthday (which is also Christmas- It's like he's Christ reborn!)- the Chris Moyles book, was also brought for him by two other people, all of us trying to be cleaver by not going for the obvious Peter Kay one. The punchline being that my Mother got me the same book as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!