Good News From Hasbro

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Good News From Hasbro

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Okay, got some news for you guys that I think you will like.

No, its not from "The Source" this time.

This time, its from Hasbro themselves. I talked to Hasbro's Media Relations Manager, Gail Carvelli, on the phone today. I asked her what the status of the TF comics were. She said she would find out, then left me the following message on my cell phone mailbox:

"Just wanted to get back to you to let you know that Hasbro ended their relationship with Dreamwave comics in December 2004. With regards to the Transformers comic, we are currently meeting with other publishers and I wanted to let you know that the Transformers comic will be back soon. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. "

Oh, and before you naysayers who think I'm pulling this jive out of my ass, here's her contact information so you can officially confirm it yourselves:

Media Relations Manager:
Gail Carvelli
I'm removing the phone # and email for the same reason Nevermore mentioned.
-Luke

OHHHH, I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW THE RAIN IS GONE........
IT'S GOING TO BE A BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT SUNSHINY DAY!!!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Wonder if they'll find anyone sucker enough to take on the DW continuity?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

I'm sucker enough....:cool:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Erm, I've asked this several places, but never really got an answer. Can they actually use the DW continuity, even if they wanted to? I mean, once the licence expires, do the rights, including those of the writers themselves, go to Hasbro?

Also, I'd say a G1 book is far from certain. The sales certainly weren't stellar. Hasbro will make Energon/Cybertron worth the new licensee's hassle, but G1? I'd wait and see before ruining your underwear :)
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

With the Re-Issues and the upcomming movie, I would be suprised if they didn't have a G1 comic.

The subject of continuity however could be another matter
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I'm sucker enough....
I tend to doubt you're bidding for the license.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Does anyone think the reissues are a commercial factor any more? No-one really notices when they come out anymore, and Takara have been reduced to semi-obscure characters, simply targetting the hardcore fans [Soundblaster, Stepper, etc.].
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
No-one really notices when they come out anymore, and Takara have been reduced to semi-obscure characters, simply targetting the hardcore fans [Soundblaster, Stepper, etc.].

The logic behind this is that most fans don't need two Grapples.:\
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Doubt it.

My point is that, given evidence of falling sales, a company bidding for the license is unlikely to want the entire roster of titles. And I don't think Hasbro fool enough to make it a condition of licensing that company X commit to producing everything slated, plus keeping trade paperbacks in print.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, with any luck it'll keep the line trim... it'd be nice if there was some way to finish off TF:WW, even if it's doing the remaining three parts as text prose for some convention or other. If nothing else, it'll stop Furman from harping on about how great it was going to be and let the truth be known...

The world doesn't need two G I Joe crossovers a year [it doesn't really need any ever, but still...]. Whichever ****ing genius thought to bring them out virtually in competition should have been fired the next day.

About the only way I can see any comic company wanting to keep on DW's ludicrously convoluted G1 continuity would be if for some reason they wanted to hire McDonough & Patyk. There'd be very little point in hiring any professional writer to work from their stuff, as he's just going to dump most of it and get his own work on track to stop a lose/lose situation.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Sort of a related question, but who would you guys like to see get the Transformers' license? Image? DC? Marvel? Somebody else since I'm pulling names outta my arse and just ran out of company names?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Would anyone please bother to edit out her contact address? I don't want TFA to be responsible for her mailbox and phone being flooded...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

hmm, could be good news, could be bad...

basically heres what im hoping for

- a good energon/cybertron comic
- an alternators comic (i honestly think id prefer one more than a oldschool g1 comic)
- a beast wars comic

id be happy with that stuff
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Civ
Sort of a related question, but who would you guys like to see get the Transformers' license? Image? DC? Marvel? Somebody else since I'm pulling names outta my arse and just ran out of company names?

I'm hoping for Devil's Due. There's been some talk that Hasbro might try and get their licenses under one roof and, despite what the first TF/GI Joe crossover was, they're pretty talented and could do good things with the license.
Interceptor
Protoform

Post by Interceptor »

I just hope they keep War Within up.
"I've got Megatron dead-center in my viewfinder!"
-Cliffjumper
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I'm hoping for Devil's Due. There's been some talk that Hasbro might try and get their licenses under one roof and, despite what the first TF/GI Joe crossover was, they're pretty talented and could do good things with the license.

same here, while i didnt like the crossovers, and i havent read frontline (yet) their treatment of gijoe has been astounding, the normal ongoing gives you a brilliant story based on all history of the gijoe, while reloaded gives you a fresh, brilliant, yet familiar take...

also, DDP and their partners (are UDON as subsidiary?) have produced some smashing property comics, Army of Darkness: Ashes 2 Ashes is amazing, brilliant art, brilliant writing and just hooking, and i loved the street fighter comic (i havent read any issues past issue 6)
Wildrider

Mmm new publisher?

Post by Wildrider »

I'm not big on the comic industry, I've bought a couple of the DW trade paperbacks and I found them a bit hollow. WW was quite interesting though.

I know Furman and Wildman have their own company is it Wildfur? Judging from their website, they seem a low key internet comic company. But I wonder if they're capable of the financial clout to mount a bid for the franchise?

Did they do the peculiar comic two parter for the Metronome DVD releases?

Who reads *cough* runs the engine.com

P.S. Not sure if the above is a good thing or a bad thing either way be interesting to know their opinion on the DW debacle.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Re: Mmm new publisher?

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Wildrider

Did they do the peculiar comic two parter for the Metronome DVD releases?

yes, it was quite a good piece of fan-wank, it was written by Daz Jaimeson of thetransformers.net and drawn by some guy called Dylan Gibson (i would like to see more art from him, a tiny tiny comic isnt good enough material to rate on)

in terms of furman and wildman being able to mount a bid for the franchise :laugh: i dont deny they are most probably well off, but not that well off
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm not big on the comic industry, I've bought a couple of the DW trade paperbacks and I found them a bit hollow.
There are far better comics out there in the industry today. If DW were representative of a medium, I wouldn't be a comics-reader.
Judging from their website, they seem a low key internet comic company
Oh, don't judge 'em by that... it's an informal side-project; they're usually to be found working for other companies.