The 20th Anniversary DVD

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
PinkDestroyer
Protoform

The 20th Anniversary DVD

Post by PinkDestroyer »

Have any of you guys seen the new Transformer DVD?? They just re-released, I cant believe I missed it. I just found the preview on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dU2TiL7Vgs) and I cant wait to get my ass to the store and buy it.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

All I can say is...

PinkDestroyer
Protoform

Post by PinkDestroyer »

haha yeah, i guess itis a little old. just found out it came out back in September or something. still, i just heard about it. sounds so cool, defintely gotta pick it up. what did you think about it since im assuming you've seen it?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

It isn't coming out till November you loony.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

One sentence on the youtube page says it all:
Added July 27 2006 and we are now in October- How many Astro-seconds is that
Good grief as Charlie Brown would say:wall: :wall: :wall:
PinkDestroyer
Protoform

Post by PinkDestroyer »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
It isn't coming out till November you loony.

holy crap, you're right. i really need to learn how to read dates. nov. 7th right?

sorry my bad, atleast i know now im not that far behind, just kinda dumb. luckily, this means i can get it for my bday :P
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

I can't wait til it comes out either. Don't really care for any TFTM 2007 preview (think it sucks, but I'll watch it in theaters). I pre-ordered two copies!

Still it would be cool if they did some tweaking to it like SW, TFTM ccould use a lot of tweaking.

Why don't they do that? I mean it's all animated it can't be that hard to redraw something? It's not like you need to see any of the actors (some who are dead). TFTM Special Edition. That would be cool. Get rid of animation errors, more Autobot City Battle, Battle on Cybertron, etc.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Duozenith558
Still it would be cool if they did some tweaking to it like SW, TFTM ccould use a lot of tweaking.

Why don't they do that? I mean it's all animated it can't be that hard to redraw something? It's not like you need to see any of the actors (some who are dead). TFTM Special Edition. That would be cool. Get rid of animation errors, more Autobot City Battle, Battle on Cybertron, etc.

You really know nothing about this stuff, do you?

But seriously, do you have any idea what kind of undertaking that would be? For one, TFTM is pretty damn low on animation errors to begin with, and no one wants to have their childhood memories 'revisioned'. Look what happened when Rhino tried to fix the animation errors on the TV series.

Unless of course you're one of those people who liked the revamped versions of the original Star Wars trilogy too, in which case all I can say is...GTFO!
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

I'm one of tem :P they should really try and make TFTM better, take the errors out, add some scene's and stuff.

SWSE surely is better than the original, just look at the special effects...

but I quess you're also a new trilogy hater Tetsuro, one of those guys who thinks everything in the past was better...

Dead End :"If we give away our energon cubes we're doomed.

Break Down :"If we don't we're doomed too.

Dead End :"Face it We're Doomed
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Ballplayer
SWSE surely is better than the original, just look at the special effects...

So you watch movies for their SFX?

Stephen Sommers must love you.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

No I don't but they didn't change the stories did they...

I mean you can't say one added scene with Han and Chewbacca changed the story...

Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

But seriously, do you have any idea what kind of undertaking that would be?

It can't be that hard just reanimate it and keep the original soundtrack and add new scenes where necessary. It must be easier than redoing live footage (e.g. Star Wars, etc.) just reanimating it and putting the original voices over it can't be as difficult a task as you seem to make it.
Unless of course you're one of those people who liked the revamped versions of the original Star Wars trilogy too, in
which case all I can say is...GTFO!

I like the originals. I think the originals are pretty darn perfect. But I just think TFTM could use a little bit more in terms of introducing the new characters, etc. Seriously haven't you thought TFTM could use a little extra footage to flesh out some plot problems?

I mean a little bit of explaination as to how Kranix and Arblus know who Unicron is and why they do nothing about it beforehand. I'd like to see a battle on the planet of Cybertron after Rodimus et al. pierce Unicron's other eye. The Autobots is a significant plot, in fact the whole point for the series and we don't get to see it. Howabout a little scene with Starscream and his cabal to overthrow Megatron? (well, okay that would be tough since the voice actor is dead but it would be easier to do than live footage.)

I like special editions a la Star Wars and there is a risk that it can wind up ruined but sometimes they work, example Bladerunner.

A TFTM "special edition" wouldn't be new per se as it wouldn't change the story substantially. These special editons are just cosmetic changes anyway.

By the way, if you want to see a old new movie Superman II is being recut by Richard Donner, coming out November 28th. That will be interesting to watch, even though I liked the original Superman II.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

No I don't but they didn't change the stories did they...

I mean you can't say one added scene with Han and Chewbacca changed the story...

No, but you can say that Greedo shooting at Han changes the story.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I like special editions a la Star Wars and there is a risk that it can wind up ruined but sometimes they work, example Bladerunner.

Excuse me?

You can't even compare the revisions of the two. Blade Runner was all about adding and removing stuff that already existed. Star Wars created whole new footage. (and don't even mention the Jabba scene, it doesn't count - the awkwardness of Han stepping on Jabba's tail is unfathomable)
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

Nah doesn't bother me at all...

btw what does it matter who shot first, altough it seems a bit awkward missing from that distance...

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

btw what does it matter who shot first, altough it seems a bit awkward missing from that distance...

Well (and I'm not a fan, incidentally) firstly there's the fact it looks awkward missing from that distance. It looks stupid, and makes Greedo look like a complete arsewipe. Secondly, it dilutes Han's character, by both making him look a lot more heroic than he is by insinuating he'd never shoot unless fired upon, and also makes him look stupid.

But still, nice flashy effects for those of you who don't like thinking beyond that area. Do Lucas' pubes not tickle your nose?

Relatively on-topic, I reckon it'd be pretty hard to properly match the cel animation. That and dusting up a few minor plot holes wouldn't change that the second half of TF:TM is unmitigated rubbish.
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

Relatively on-topic, I reckon it'd be pretty hard to properly match the cel animation. That and dusting up a few minor plot holes wouldn't change that the second half of TF:TM is unmitigated rubbish.

How so? It's animation. What I'm saying is redrawing it from scratch and put the original soundtrack over it. I mean they reissued the comic adaptation but did ABSOLUTELY nothing to it. No new info, no new scenes. Well one new scene that does nothing to the overall story.

TFTM is an epic story. It's a pretty significant story, leaders of both factions die, Unicron appeas after a ba-zillion years to destroy his "mortal" enemy, Primus. Galvatron and Rodimus Prime show up to take over and the end result of the Autobots retaking Cybertron, a very important point that is not even shown in the movie.

Besides one real point that I don't like about the movie today is that is comes after 64,65 episodes of Transformers and most of them are missing. They're never shown! Really adding them to the movie wouldn't change anything but it would certainly, in my opinion, give it a more epic feel.

By the way, why do you think the second half isn't migitated rubbish? What would you do differently?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

it can't be that hard to redraw something?
Give it a go. Or find anyone that can do it whilst making the project commercially viable. There'll be cookies for successful participants...
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

Or find anyone that can do it whilst making the project commercially viable

What do you mean? That if Transformers were re-released to theaters with all new footage, new animation, maybe even some (minimal) 3D special effects like Futurama or even Energon that nobody would be interested? They have people doing Transformers cartoons right now.

They're releasing the 1986 movie with practically no changes and even the comic book adaptation. I don't see how it wouldn't be commerically viable. Transformers is 20+ years old and it's still going strong; cartoons, multiple toylines many of which are homages and updates to G1 characters, and a live action movie coming out next year.

I would like to see a special edition TFTM. Have Ultra Magnus touch the Matrix first :D j/k
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What do you mean? That if Transformers were re-released to theaters with all new footage, new animation, maybe even some (minimal) 3D special effects like Futurama or even Energon that nobody would be interested? They have people doing Transformers cartoons right now.
Those cartoons for the last couple of product lines have been in regularly-displaced graveyard timeslots for the main territories covered.

It's a children's movie in which a large part of the existing cast die (some quite graphically) in the first twenty minutes -- one of many reasons it bombed when first released. Any interest it gains now is purely as a cult artifact.

I like the movie. And the soundtrack. It was commercial suicide. It would die on its arse a second time if re-released, new animation or no.
They're releasing the 1986 movie with practically no changes
Because it costs Sony very, very little to do so. Automated filters plus a website plus some extras will be recouped by a few hundred sales -- the film itself as a re-release represents almost pure profit, and is a sensible business decision. Sony would not be taking this step if it weren't tied up with the next live action movie. (Which they've also got rights to for DVD release, IIRC, and which will net them more casual nostalgia sales for the old film as well next year.)