the new board makes my computer crash

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Angus
Protoform

the new board makes my computer crash

Post by Angus »

there are some sites that always crash my computer. transfandom.com and ToyArk are good examples. now another good example is this new tfarchive board. what is the problem? does anyone know how to fix it?
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Post by TFArchive »

I used to have problems with some site crashing on me, for no apparent reason. To fix it I upgraded to IE 5.5 and it hasn't done it since.
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

mine is IE 6.0
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Denyer

Well...

Post by Denyer »

...when I'm at home, I periodically re-install IE because it seems to develop faults. It could be because you've installed IE6 over IE 5.5, some releases of which were unstable. A clean install of your OS, followed by any service packs and the latest full install of IE only usually fixes most things or points to driver issues.

I assume you're using 95/98/Me? If you're using Me, it may be safer to stick with the version of IE that comes with the OS... certain components don't like being replaced.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Interesting, very interesting indeed... You have 6.0? Supposedly 6.0 is screwy and stuff. Do you get error messages or anything before it happens? If so what do they say? Once I see those I may be able to help you, if I can't then maybe it has something to do with you Internet settings.
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

i am using win 98, and i get no warning. my computer just freezes, i have to reboot. the mouse doesnt even move. keyboard does nothing, the only thing that work is the power off button.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

You see the thing is, how are you able to post here if your comp crashes when you come to the board?
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

it does not happen all the time, but very often. i have downloaded a update and it didnt crash ever since.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Denyer

Nope...

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Supposedly 6.0 is screwy and stuff.
...although you have to remember just what sods M$ are.

First, we had IE 5.0, followed by a couple of service packs.

Then, we had IE 5.5, followed by SP1. That was followed by SP2, which was the buggiest heap of crap imaginable. That was followed by... er, SP2. They didn't bother to increment any version numbers in the distro.

So, IE 6.0 may have multiple download versions, too. However, it seems rock-solid on everything I've tried it on.
OmegaDenmad
Protoform

Post by OmegaDenmad »

I installed IE6.0 yesterday, and I have had no problems at all... :)
Insert philosophical phrase here. Yeaaaaah right.
Angus
Protoform

blame icq!

Post by Angus »

after all this time since i started this topic, i have finally found out how to avoid the "freezing" syndrome with this board.

I noticed that I can not use ICQ and then read the board in the same windows session. If I am using ICQ, or have used it before in that session, I have to restart windows, then read the board. After I read the board, I can start ICQ, but I won't be able to read the board again unless I restart windows.

my ICQ version is 2001b, my OS is win98 and my browser is IE 6.0.26.

I have this very same problem with many other sites, like starwars.com, transfandom.com, my bank's webpage, for instance. the screen freezes and all I/O stop responding. I have to shutdown using the poweroff button.

now my question is why????
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Denyer

Because...

Post by Denyer »

...ICQ is a POS, to put it bluntly. It sucks royally, stability-wise.

Trillian? http://www.trillian.cc/
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

odd....

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

....I'm on I.E 6, and most of the time I'm at least using AIM/ICQ/MSN and CuteFTP and I check the boards most nights, having no problems whatsoever, although on my old slow pc it used to freeze with alarming regularity...
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Sorry to hear your problem Angus. I'm using IE 6.0.26 with window XP Pro. No problems. I have had trouble with ICQ 2001b, but none with ICQ 99a. Go figure, it was one of the last releases before AOL bought it up. Just patch everything and hope that ICQ or Microsnot fix the conflict sometime (yeah right).
________
Herbalaire vaporizer temperature