Comic Relief

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Comic Relief

Post by CounterPunch »

Continuing on the theme of comic relief i began in my other thread (made a new one because i didnt want to derail that one)

Are there many other countries that do mass nationwide hugh charity drives? If so what are they? Do they follow a similar setup?

I'm just interested how many other places do it
slartibartfast

France

Post by slartibartfast »

...Geldof who ?

Here charity is more about getting a better tax rebate than anything else (you pay less tax by giving to charity) and thinly disguised attempts by the government to hold up their promises... I mean seriously, "give money to the elderly" ?

That said, there's a lot of money going into cancer research, with some high profile advertising campaigns of late. And we do have a telethon and those blooming washed-up-celebs-live-in-a-farm/jungle/island shows where they nominate a charity.

On another note, one of my prized posessions is the 1985 cartoon aid book. what went wrong there ?
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Wikipedia
Similar events outside the United Kingdom

In the United States

Inspired by the British charity, a United States Comic Relief charity was founded in 1986 by Bob Zmuda.

Comic Relief is an irregularly held event, televised on HBO, that has raised and distributed nearly $50 million toward providing health care services to homeless men, women, and children throughout the United States. Comedians Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, and Whoopi Goldberg are hosts of the event.

On November 18, 2006 the event was revived as a fundraiser for those affected by Hurricane Katrina and was simulcast on TBS.

In Australia

In 1988, the Red Nose Day concept was adopted by the SIDS and Kids organisation to help raise funds for research into sudden infant death syndrome. Since then, Red Nose Day in Australia is held annually on the last Friday of June.

An Australian version of Comic Relief, Comic Relief Australia, has also been set up. It plans to divide the money raised between Australian causes (at least 40%) and overseas charities largely in Asia Pacific (at least 40%).

Following a campaign encouraging people to buy articles such as red wristbands, the first telethon-style event was held on November 6, 2005 on the Seven Network. It followed the established format, with comedy interspersed with examples of the sorts of charities to benefit. According to its website, this raised over AUS $800,000. Another telethon was broadcast on November 27, 2006 on Seven Network. The 2006 Comic Relief Show was held under the title '50 Years of Laughs' celebrating 50 years of Television in Australia. It was hosted by Colin Lane and featured presenters such as Amanda Keller, Mikey Robbins, Ugly Dave Grey and Derryn Hinch interviewing Kylie Mole.

In Germany

The German TV station Pro 7 initiated a similar event in 2003. By selling red noses money is collected for the charity foundations PowerChild, Deutsche Kinder- und Jugendstiftung (lit., German Child and Youth Foundation), and Comic Relief. The event is called 'Red Nose Day' and now takes place annually.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

From the hour or so I saw:

Isn't it brilliant Daniel Criag has better comic timing than Catherine "Professional Comic" Tate? It's rare for big names in these scetches not to look like they're trying to hard to be down with da kids, but ha managed it, unlike Sting in the Dibley skit. Shame they didn't think to include any jokes mind.

Rod Jane and Freddy in the Peter Kay/Andy thing.

Gary Barlow seemingly half asleep.

And errr, that's it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Re: France

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
On another note, one of my prized posessions is the 1985 cartoon aid book. what went wrong there ?

I have that! How the Hell did they persuade Herge to let them reprint an entire Tintin book in there? Probably made him feel bad about the Africans, actually. Damn, I've got to dig that out now, there's some Hella random stuff in that thing.
inflatable dalek

Is that similar to the Big Comic Relief Comic thing they did about ten years ago that Douglas Adams edited?
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

not sure about mass charity drives in the Uk but i know my local schools are doing charity. Every little helps
inflatable dalek

Oh, and I also loved Kate "unemployed" Thorton's little speech along the lines of "If someone one the street told you they needed £2.50 to save someones life you'd give it there and then".

So obviously she's never hung round Brum, where, especially between New Street and the Bull Ring, there's alway lots of people acosting you for cash for a variety of reasons, to whom I always answer "no".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"If someone one the street told you they needed £2.50 to save someones life you'd give it there and then".
No, you'd assume they were a junkie, Kate.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer
No, you'd assume they were a junkie, Kate.

Or had just been sacked by Simon Cowell and needed the cash.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Ice Shard
not sure about mass charity drives in the Uk but i know my local schools are doing charity. Every little helps

Well I basically meant nationwide telethons, such as comic relief and children in need, i just couldnt remember the word.
inflatable dalek

Didn't ITV use to have a shameless Red Nose Day rip-off? Blue Ears or something?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I have that! How the Hell did they persuade Herge to let them reprint an entire Tintin book in there? Probably made him feel bad about the Africans, actually. Damn, I've got to dig that out now, there's some Hella random stuff in that thing.
oh yea ! I forgot Tintin was in there. Maybe Hergé wasn't a heartless evil nazi mother****er after all :rolleyes:

They must have got ray charles to choose what went in there but it covers a hell of a lot of ground... I remember they had that judge dredd pinball strip and that wierd talking fiat uno advert. It's a great toilet book, I wonder why it never got done again... :(

more tweaked than edited
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Didn't ITV use to have a shameless Red Nose Day rip-off? Blue Ears or something?

Magic 8 ball says ask again when people are reminiscing more...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... p?t=538457
inflatable dalek

Well, the Blue Ears seem to be my own mad invention, but the Michael Aspel fronted 27 Hour (!?) telethon was indeed real:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Telethon

Love the fact it was canned because of complaints from disabled groups for being patronising. Now they getting given lots of money is worth a little patrnising? You don't hear Ethiopians asking the BBC to stop sending Billy Connelly over...