[BW,BM] Was it a mistake?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Drathal
Protoform

Was it a mistake?

Post by Drathal »

I was just thinking it over last night as I watched the episode where Dinobot is killed protecting the early humans.

Was it a mistake to kill Dinobot at that point in the series, and replace him with a sub-par clone?
"Allow me to present myself... Air Commander Starscream of the Decepticon Battle Fleet!"- Best line in Beast Wars
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

It wasn't a mistake in my eyes as code of hero was the best episode of the series. if they killed off a character that nobody gave a **** about (which is kind of hard in beastwars with all the good characters) liek tigatron it wouldn't have the same effect.

as for the sub-par clone...mehn I dont really pay attention to him.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

The Dinobot clone would have been much more interesting had "Dark Glass" been allowed.

As for "Code of Hero", I don't think it was a mistake at all. It fit the character and the storyline, and (as Hawkeye said) was one of the best episodes of the series.

Frankly, I'd rate Dinobot's death above Prime's without a second thought.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
if they killed off a character that nobody gave a **** about (which is kind of hard in beastwars with all the good characters) liek tigatron it wouldn't have the same effect.

Can't say I really cared for the deaths of Scorponok (sp?), Terrosaur, and Tigerhawk. :\
Originally posted by fort_max
The Dinobot clone would have been much more interesting had "Dark Glass" been allowed.

Is that some episode that never aired or something?
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Can't say I really cared for the deaths of Scorponok (sp?), Terrosaur, and Tigerhawk. :\

Is that some episode that never aired or something?

Well only the script was produced to my knowledge, no animation was done. The story was about Rattrap finding a back up of Dinobot's memory/personality and trying to put in the new Dinobot, it temporarliy works, but eventually the clone goes mad and joins the Predacons again. Or something like that. A fan comic of the script was made I think.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
Well only the script was produced to my knowledge, no animation was done. The story was about Rattrap finding a back up of Dinobot's memory/personality and trying to put in the new Dinobot, it temporarliy works, but eventually the clone goes mad and joins the Predacons again. Or something like that. A fan comic of the script was made I think.

Yep. The major thing, though, is that it explains the clone's change in the last few episodes.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Yep. The major thing, though, is that it explains the clone's change in the last few episodes.

I thought that was due to the fact that Rampage died and Dinobot's spark was whole again.
Drathal
Protoform

Post by Drathal »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
It wasn't a mistake in my eyes as code of hero was the best episode of the series. if they killed off a character that nobody gave a **** about (which is kind of hard in beastwars with all the good characters) liek tigatron it wouldn't have the same effect.

as for the sub-par clone...mehn I dont really pay attention to him.

This comin' from a guy with the name Hawkeye. Did you think ol' Hawk's death was heroic on Avenger's disassembled? If so, your opinion is null and void :P (Just kiddin')

As for the other points-

His death was well done, I never said it wasn't. But if I had to pick between him dieing and becoming the lame clone. Or him living for the rest of the series.

I'd be a bit more prone as to let him live.
"Allow me to present myself... Air Commander Starscream of the Decepticon Battle Fleet!"- Best line in Beast Wars
Jetfire

Re: Was it a mistake?

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Drathal
I was just thinking it over last night as I watched the episode where Dinobot is killed protecting the early humans.

Was it a mistake to kill Dinobot at that point in the series, and replace him with a sub-par clone?

Nah. That episode is what convinced most Anti-BW G1 fan boys to put aside their predjuices and enjoy beast wars.
Igos Du Inka
Protoform

Post by Igos Du Inka »

Dinobots death wasn't a mistake. I personaly one of the best scenes in Beast Wars if not the Transformer universe, And i Kinda agree with Deciptcon Megatron on Scorpinok and Terrisaur's death, I think i missed that ep. but i didn't care for them mutch any way. And as for Tigerhawk it was kinda like:

Welcome Tigerhawk
Cool Tigerhawk
hey where'd he go
oh well

SO no Dinobot's death and reberth clone were not a mistake
Hey! Come join the most adictive RPG of all time at www.the4th-coming.com, If you join ask for Kratos
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I thought that was due to the fact that Rampage died and Dinobot's spark was whole again.

But Dinobot's spark had joined the matrix, and Megatron certainly wasn't about to go hunting it down.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

But Dinobot's spark had joined the matrix, and Megatron certainly wasn't about to go hunting it down.

Why not? Rhinox went and got Primal's back. :p

Got me thinking though. Dinobot II was a clone obviously, who shared a spark with Rampage. When Rampage dies, I don't get how clone Dinobot starts remembering his past as original Dinobot. Is it because his half spark was no longer tainted by Rampage? I guess with cloning, do memories come with it? :confused:
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Why not? Rhinox went and got Primal's back. :p
Yes, but Megatron had had trouble controlling Dinobot in the past, much less keeping him from defecting. I rather suspect it would have been too much of a risk to bring him back.
When Rampage dies, I don't get how clone Dinobot starts remembering his past as original Dinobot. Is it because his half spark was no longer tainted by Rampage? I guess with cloning, do memories come with it? :confused:
The first part you've got. Rampage died, so his spark was no longer affecting the clone. However, the memories didn't come from the cloning. They came from the imprints Rattrap uploaded into him in "Dark Glass" (or they would have, had that episode made it to the air). Before that, the clone was similar to Dinobot only in its abilities and instincts.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

The suggest BWTF.Com offers is that with Rampage's death, the half-a-spark within Dinobot is able to touch the Matrix, where the original Dinobot's Spark already lies, and that is able to influence him somehow.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by The Original Chris
The suggest BWTF.Com offers is that with Rampage's death, the half-a-spark within Dinobot is able to touch the Matrix, where the original Dinobot's Spark already lies, and that is able to influence him somehow.

Meh. That explanation never really did anything for me.
malcos
Protoform

Post by malcos »

I keep hearing about this "lost episode - Dark Glass". Can someone please elaborate on that and tell me more?
Thanks to Mininin for the sig.

Click here for Ravnica: City of Guilds spoilers
Originally posted by Sir Auros
fuci, everthing that movew!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I've got some jpegs of a fan comic based on the script. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I'll send them along once I find them.

EDIT: Correction. Found them.
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

Originally posted by Drathal

His death was well done, I never said it wasn't. But if I had to pick between him dieing and becoming the lame clone. Or him living for the rest of the series.

I'd be a bit more prone as to let him live.

Why chose between them, I would have had both of them exist.

I really liked TM2 Dinobot. The skeleton style body gave him an undead or zombie feel.
ScourgePrime
Protoform

Post by ScourgePrime »

i liked that episode where DinoBot heroically dies.
going down fighting.. with Honor.
berto
Protoform

Post by berto »

I agree with the comment that his death scene makes that THE BEST episode of a cartoon series ever but they should have never brought the clone