FF XII - Go Get It!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

FF XII - Go Get It!

Post by CloudStrifer »

Its such a good Final Fantasy, I guess its the best one yet. I am still in the begining levels, so much to do. Its litterly a best thing to do. I got the collectors edition so I got an artwork and bonus discs which are so cool as well. Go Buy it!
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Final Fantasy sucks. They've been spewing out repetetive crap for the last 7 or 8 games.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i think it went downhill after ff7, that game was epic. awsome storyline, awsome characters, awsome gameplay, i never get sick of it. i heard they might be doing an updated version with improved graphics on ps3, as long as the graphics are the only thing that changes i'll be happy. ff9 wasn't bad either, not to keen on 8, that junction crap pi$sed me off

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Zis: Have you played anything past FF4? Certianly not repetative crap (at least, not in the way of another 1st person shooter clone....) - but, to each their own. If you don't like FF - you probably won't like 12 - but it is an awesome game.

Prowl: No FFVII remake for the PS3. That was a demo done by SE to show what the PS3 can do. While they know VII is a cash cow, they're stopping with DC.

9 was a fun look back at the sword and sorcery that got them there - even if the ending was a little too sad for me. I really liked 8 and the customization of it - but I know a lot of people who HATE it because of it, so that's cool

10 was AMAZING, still my fav FF of them all. Epic and far spanning.

12: I'm 40+ hours into it (dead computer and very sick, not much else to do) - and I'm VERY impressed with it. There's a little too much Star Wars in it (well, actually, all the mythology and stories that Lucas used to make SW - but that's what everyone will notice) - but a lot of fun. The graphics are probably the best you're going to get on the PS2 - which means they are phenominal - truly amazing. And, for all the bitching that I've heard about the re-done combat system: There's nothing new. Same old, same old - just in a different presentation. Sure, there's no random battles, and you can see the monsters up ahead - but that gives you a chance to plan. Otherwise - combat really is the same.

Music is great, and while it's not Uematsu, it certianly has his infulence. It's not quite as... subtle as the previous instalments music - a little more in your face - but as the whole game has a more western\european feel to it - it fits.

Voice acting is above amazing. I have yet to see one character where I think "wow, that voice is horribly out of place". Quite the opposite - they all fit quite nicely. Three stand outs are Fran, Belthiar and Al-Cid (who looks, and sounds, like Euro-trash Nobility, it was great :D)

If you like RPGs, or FF or are just bored and looking for something new - go out and get it, you won't be disappointed.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I had some students talking about it today. They asked me if I played any FF games. I said I used to but now I'm not into the effeminate males and Japanese clichés. I felt a little bad because I don't want them to think I was looking down on them (the students, not the crap games) because of my comments.

I am going to go off on a tangent tomorrow and explain why they aren't actually roleplaying games.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

;) The first FF was a role playing game (FFII as well, I think - been a long time since I've played either of them) - in that, there were no assigned characters - it was "you" in the game. You're right Auros, this isn't an "RPG" in the D&D sort of way - the closest you get to that today is an MMORPG.

And, if you're worried about the infulence of effeminate males and Japanese clichés they're (mostly) missing from this game. The main character (Vaan) is an idiot, but no more so than any teenager.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Prowl: No FFVII remake for the PS3. That was a demo done by SE to show what the PS3 can do. While they know VII is a cash cow, they're stopping with DC.

There's another FF7 game coming out next year for PSP. SE's president has also said he'd like the "Compilation of FFVII" project to last until the original game's twentieth anniversary.

I loved 8 at least as much as I did its predecessor. Though I spent about three times as many hours playing Triple Triad as I did advancing the story.

FFXII is the first game in the series to get a perfect score from Famitsu Magazine, and one of only six games ever to do so. I'm definitely getting it, but not right away. I'm working my way through the early games now; I just beat the GBA version of the original and am about to start the second one. Can't wait to check out the DS remake of III.

FF13 looks beyond amazing though. I can't stop watching the trailer on Youtube; that music may not be Uematsu but it kicks ass.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Well, the FFVII compelation project covers:

AC, BC, CC, DC.

We've already seen AC (Advent Children), BC (Before Crisis) is a Cell Phone game that isn't coming to North Am (I believe - could be wrong, either way, not something I'm in to). The PSP game is going to be Crisis Core (which is the one you're talking about) - I honnestly don't know too much about it. Either BC or CC has to do with the Turks and the missions leading up to the start of Advent Children, but honnestly I think it's BC. If I find out more, I'll post.

DC is Dirge of Cerberus (which I have yet to play :( )

The president of SE has already said there will be no FFVII remake for the PS3 - and I tend to believe him. On the other hand, they also said that there would never be a direct sequal to a final Fantasy (which they've broke.... 3 times now Counting the FFVII stuff all as part of one sequal...)

13 does look VERY sweet - I can't get over the graphics personally. This will be the single reason I get a PS3, to start with anyway.

The wierd part is, they're doing 2 FFXIII game Final Fantasy 13 (classic RPG style game, in keeping with the series) and Final Fantasy Versus 13 which is similar to FF, Kingdom Hearts and Dirge of Cerberus with a connected storyline to FFXIII and yet has nothing to do with it (same universe, same Mythos - nothing to do with 13). This, of course, is paraphrasing what was said at TGS, which was translated and then read by me - so, things could change as we get more offical, english, information.

I'm also looking forward to the next XI expansion :D
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus:
Music is great, and while it's not Uematsu, it certianly has his infulence.

Is Uematsu gone for good, or just on hiatus? I remember hearing he either collaborated or didn't participate at all in the last few games.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I used to be a huge FF fan around the time right before FF7 and a little after. of course I was only a kid at the time and I thought that the stories were the coolest thing ever and I even liked anime at that point. Now what I used to find "deep" and complex i find to be cliched and stupid and I agree with auros' assessment that they arent really roleplaying games (well besides the first one).

I just dont think we should reward square by putting out the same game 13 times. the stories have variance to a degree but the fighting system has largely went unchanged for the majority of the lines existence. They upgrade the graphics and change the lead characters and call it a day. FF10 was a step backwards with even more linear play. Honestly kingdom hearts was the last time square did anything different and I honestly loved that game but I just lost touch with square around FF6.

seriously play any of the Dnd games "neverwinter nights" or that one that came out last year or the elder scrolls games "morrowind" and "oblivion" and tell me Final fantasy even holds a candle. the level of detail just blows FF games out of the water.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, that's pretty much why I'm done with the FF series. I like my strategy games real-time...if I touch the genre at all.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

hey auros as an x-box 360'r have you played oblivion? I havent played it but I watched a friend play a couple of times and as a lover of morrowind I found this game to be phenomenal. you can do everything!
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Originally posted by Hawkeye

seriously play any of the Dnd games "neverwinter nights" or that one that came out last year or the elder scrolls games "morrowind" and "oblivion" and tell me Final fantasy even holds a candle. the level of detail just blows FF games out of the water.

Personal preference.

I found those games to be incredibly boring and long winded. I can barely look at Baldur's gate anymore. Final Fantasy games always pull me back in, despite their reptitiveness. DnD games push me away after one run through because they are way too time consuming and end up being just as reptitive.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Lets see, I play Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind.

All of these games have been played and finnished with and now laying with dust while even Final Fantasy Origins and Final Fantasy Chronicals were played with last month.

Tell me, what super weapon is there once you gotten the the Sword of Icewind or something like that in Icewind Dale? I mean +5 for being near the lake? Duh, the lakes the center of the map and the damn name of the game. I mean whats the point of making that sword if your always going to have +5? Whats even worse, if you built your character up to Godlike in IWD, you can't even import it to Neverwinter or Baldurs! I mean why not? In the true spirit of DnD They should allow my character in.

Agian its personal preferance, but I prefer anime type stories.

Edit:

Wow, this is really suprising. The first people to even reply to this topic stated how FF sucks and most of the posts do that. I wonder is there a reson for posting information that most of the board knows (Yes, FF is not a true RPG in your eye, FF sucks, etc.) rather than useful info that people who do play it can gather in one place? Suprising to me at least.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
hey auros as an x-box 360'r have you played oblivion? I havent played it but I watched a friend play a couple of times and as a lover of morrowind I found this game to be phenomenal. you can do everything!

The only complaint I have with Oblivion is that the dialogue isn't nearly as good as Bioware's stuff.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Already have it, but havent opened yet. I watched it at a friends place and it looks ok, although I dont know about it being the best looking, VP2, MGS3 and SOTC look better imo. I wont be getting to any of my rpgs for a while as Im trying to finish off all my shorter games first.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Due to the success of FFIII on the Nintendo DS there could be more games for that handheld, FFXII: Revenant Wings has already been announced and I think VII could be ported if the abandoned extras were cut out and the FMV was compressed but more likely it would be done fully for the PSP.
Right now I picked up and am getting into FFIV Advance.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII must be among my favorite gaming experience of my life and 3 of the best stories a video game has ever produced.

Nine came out at a time I had got rid of my playstation and nothing on the PS2 looked like it would interest me.

Final Fantasy 10 was disapoining for me. I didn't get very involved, the storyline was weaker and the whole experience felt forced because I felt there was very little interaction or infulence on the events from myself. I did think the powering up system was very well thought out though.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I've only played VII, the widely acclaimed 'best' in the series - and I thought it was crap. The story seemed clumsy and awkward. The characters weren't interesting and the gameplay wasn't immersive.

You want a great game based on the FFVII format, go and play Chrono Trigger - much better.

The best storylines in games I've played have been Star Trek: Bridge Commander, Deus Ex and Hostile Waters. Particularly Deus Ex and Hostile Waters blows FFVII completely out of the water.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Actually Final Fantasy VI is widely considered the bets of teh series, VII the most popular. Chrono Trigger is certainly the bets unofficial final fantasy. I hope they release that sometime.