So wheres" the 300 thread ?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
slartibartfast

So wheres" the 300 thread ?

Post by slartibartfast »

Did I maiss something here, or is everyone boycottso,ning the latestr offering from miller(-int-motin ?

for once, i agree with .. wait ... duh, sorry, i THOUght leaonisdas was played bty russell crowe :p it would have been the ideal role fpr him i would have thought...

anyway, I'm gonna see it this weekendf, any opinions ?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's a big war movie, with a lot of historical stuff, by a writer I can't really stand these days. At least something like Apocalypto would have car-crash fascination going for it...

Maybe if someone I know rents / gets it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm suprised Brend didn't start a thread about the subliminal glimps of a Watchmen character in the trailer....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31814
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

fairt enough... i was all that hoy on 'sin xcity" tBH, but everyone made such a fuss over it being "OMG IT4S MILLER, AND IT MOVES" and whotnot that milleresque eye-candy would be well suited to millions of persiansw, even if they all seem to be immortals from the terailers.

story-aside (stehing out a what, 50 page comic nbook into a hour and whatnot epic), it does look like a funky gore fest. SOaP syndrome Isuppose ;)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I liked it. I thought it was a good action movie that stayed close enough to the history, and the liberties that he took with the story weren't overbearingly awful, or anything. Saw it the friday it came out and then the next day (was planning on seeing it with a couple of friends on saturday, but one of my friends was leaving town for break, and the saturday crew couldn't make friday, so I saw it with her, friday, and then with them saturday).

I definitely enjoyed it enough that I was totally pumped to see it the second time (possibly even more than the first time), but if you're looking for a good story, you might be disappointed. I went for the action. I definitely can't wait for the dvd to come out. Sure, I could go to see it again, but I figure that with the amount of times I'll probably rewatch this movie, I should just save my money for the dvd.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I thought it was awesome. loved it.

gives me newfound hope for watchmen helmed by the same.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Denyer
It's a big war movie, with a lot of historical stuff, by a writer I can't really stand these days. At least something like Apocalypto would have car-crash fascination going for it...

300 is Frank's Miller's best work in the last 10 year in my opinion. A contender for a place in his top 5 with Born Again, Year one, TDKRs and Give Me Liberty (A greatly underrate Frank Miller story).
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

(Nicked from elsewhere)

This is not SPARTA......

Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
I thought it was awesome. loved it.
Same here.
Originally posted by Hawkeye
gives me newfound hope for watchmen helmed by the same.
Whoever's gonna make it, I don't see them squishing it all into a two-hour movie. Unless they're to make a TV-series.
http://www.forum.x-men.pl/viewtopic.php?p=52457#52457
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Loved it.

Borders on a farcical cheesefest, and doubtless will become one the moment I watch it with anything approaching critical detachment... but by jove I enjoyed it at the time.
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm suprised Brend didn't start a thread about the subliminal glimps of a Watchmen character in the trailer....

I'm being good...
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon

I'm being good...

You mean you didn't spot it?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well I couldn't spot it as I haven't seen the trailer in question, but I saw the OMG!11oneone articles on Empire and Cinematical.

I just didn't feel that "OMG a half second partial glimpse of somebody that might be Rorschach shot in a way that it's impossible to bloody well see anything" was really worth the bandwidth of a new topic.

The brim of his fedora was too small, anyway.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon

OMG a half second partial glimpse of somebody that might be Rorschach

Well, considering he's holding a smiley face with a blood stain on it, is wearing a fendora and has a mask with a rorschach ink blot on it I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say it's definately supposed to be him.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

You know what I ****ing well mean.

If that's Rorschach, then it means they may be CGing parts of the film, or it means that they've cast it... or alternatively, it's just a test shot for whatever purpose, and the final Rorschach won't actually be like that.

Which is fine by me. As he needs a wider-brimmed fedora.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

ehy shot of rorschach what?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Just saw it, oh my fricking god, one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had, fantastic film.

Alot of people are talking about its lack of plot, I loved that fact, there wasnt much overall storyline, but what was there was brilliantly developed and was quite enthralling.
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

A damn late responce...but I loved the movie too.A gorefest it was,and some good one liners too.Not much for a review,but ten out of ten from me.Still,a damn sweet movie,gonna buy it when it comes out most definatly.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I loved the obvious humour moment in "I dont see why we cant be civilized" while he is casually killing the remainders and eating his apple. It reminded me of a python sketch or something.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by 13thScorpio
A damn late responce...
damn right ! :p

SPARTANS ! My mum is a big tolkien fan. She pretty much knows the lord of the rings off by heart. So when we went to see good ol' peters' rendition she was all like "oi ! it's supposed to be glorfindel, not arwen !"

SPARTANS ! I hadn't read it for years myself and i didn't remember all the details, which IMO made the film more enjoyable. I've recently been researching frank miller for other reasons so I grabbed a copy of 300... I think y'all can see where this is going.

SPARTANS !... So apart from zack and frank somehow deciding that all my favorite scenes weren't all that necessary.

"LETS GIVE THEM A SPARTAN WELCOME !"
"OOOO !!"
"... sorry, i blinked... can we do it again ?"
"OOOO !!"

SPARTANS ! I was expecting frank to take the comic a step further and the trailer was really promising, what with a funky semi-electro NIN soundtrack, I mean, Tyler Bates worked on rob zombies' 'the devils rejects'... so where did all the Loreena McKennitt vocals à la LOtR come from ? ALso, the trailer is pretty much all the most impressive visual FX put back to back... well, aside from some frankly (lol pun) amazing slow-mo romps with equally impressive sound work. But overuse of slowmotion severly restricts content... :/

SPARTANS ! In a nutshell, I got the same impression i got from sin city. Being a lot of potential probably toned-down from pressure from producers and trying to be politically correct... budget withstanding that is. In an ideal world, the comic adaptation would have been an 45 minute animated feature and the actual film would have gone on from there (though not in an epilogue sense) and the narrative style that works so well in millers' stuff would have been replaced with grittier characterisation and less control. and russell crowe would have played leonidas :p

SPARTANS ! there, that's my first player-hater review. I think I'd better go watch 'jay & silent bob strike back' to put me back in my place :(

PS : though now I shout "SPARTANS !" all the time. in bars it's good fun "SPARTANS ! I'll have another half please mate"
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Saw it! Love it! Want to be a Spartan now!

This is NOt madness. THIS IS SPARTA!