What Is Your Favourite Music?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ColdBain
Protoform

What Is Your Favourite Music?

Post by ColdBain »

I was just wondering what type of music everyone is into on this website? I of course have my favourites, but it seems I've pretty much exhausted them (no more CDs of their's to buy, not more live footage to see or here, no more books to read, etc).

It's always cool to compare musical tastes, I'm a huge music fan and I'm always on the lookout for another good band/artist to get into.

So, who's your favourite musical artists?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Currently...

The Wildhearts (everything from acoustic to power-pop to rock to metal), The Crocketts (cowpunk, a rather facetious description that doesn't really help -- very distinctive lyrics and vocals that've carried over into new band The Crimea), The Crimea (suggest waiting a few months for their second pro album; calmer version of The Crocketts), Regina Spektor (if you or anyone hasn't heard Begin To Hope by now, which is unlikely), Helen Love (shamelessly lofi bouncy Welsh punk), movie scores by Wojciech Kilar, Spray (tongue-in-cheek retro 80s synthpop), bad 90s teenage punk, cheesy 80s metal, The Hot Puppies (soulful indie rock with female vocals to throw yourself prostrate over), old Cradle of Filth, Rocky Horror live cast recording, Australian outback acoustic songwriter by the name of Leighton Watts.

Oh, and Mary Prankster. Get and listen to Roulette Girl.

Don't like commercial rap/hip-hop. There's lots of good stuff out there, I just only get exposed to it by people who are much more into it than me, and can rarely remember names of bands.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Classic Rock I think is my current fave right now...

Led Zepplin, Clapton, Beatles, Stones, U2(their old stuff counts as classic now, right?) Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Genesis

Some others, not really caring to listen to anything new anymore, it all sounds the same to me most of the time... :eyebrow:
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

metal and industrial mainly. deftones are my favourite band followed by Nine Inch Nails and filter, synth and metal go so well together....

other than that i'm pretty eclectic

-and you will know us by the trail of dead (possibly the most talented band i've heard since i got in to NIN)

-Radiohead
-Static-x
-Johnny Cash
-RJd2
-De la soul
-Dj Shadow
-REM
- Interpol
-Korn
-Prodigy
-Rancid
-NOFX
-Offspring
-Beck

there's a rough idea anyhow, there's loads more i cant be arsed to list

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Favourite music?

Enya
Clannad
Hawkwind
Holst
David Bowie
Duran Duran

and anything else that takes my fancy e.g. songs from Bagpuss, The Beatles, Wagner, assorted Disney themes. Quite eclectic, really. Currently learning lyrics to the new Bionicles 'Creeping in my Soul', which I downloaded for the boys; it's pretty good, but the rap part is a bit sad viz if you can't sing, go chant Eddas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Originally posted by Clogs
Bionicles 'Creeping in my Soul'

:up:

Lets see;

Queen, Hawk Nelson, Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, the Beatles to an extent. Yeah, that's about it for my favorites.
Sassy
Protoform

Post by Sassy »

I used to like what would be on MTV but I'm not into it too much anymore.

Everything is so much worse now then it had been years ago.

The pop music sucks, at least Christina and Jessica have amazing voices, great vocal range, Britney can dance, and Mandy could act. Now there is are no talents like Avril who can't sing, dance act, or look sexy same goes for Brooke Hoogan, Ashely Simpson, and Kelly Osborne. There are "singers" Lindsey Lohan, Hillary and Halie Duff who aren't too much of an improvement over the previously mentioned.

The hip hop music is pretty much all southern and aweful!

Other than crappy pop music and southern hip-hop I don't really hear too much on MTV.

Uhh...I don't have a favorite type of music anymore :'-(
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well, Damn, Sassy may have to develop some musical taste of her own... :rolleyes:

How could pre-fabricated pop fail you so? Tragic really...
Sassy
Protoform

Post by Sassy »

Originally posted by Hound
Well, Damn, Sassy may have to develop some musical taste of her own... :rolleyes:

How could pre-fabricated pop fail you so? Tragic really...

Mariah, Christina, Jessica can all definitely sing, they have strong voices and a large range. Girls like Brooke, Lindsy, Jo-Jo, Ashely, Avril aren't even singing they are speaking with a chorus singing.

The new pop princesses aren't on the same level as those who paved the way for them. Maybe the talented singers set the bar too high. :-/ Either way If you think pop music was bad before just trying listening to it now...
AngelOfDeath124
Protoform

Post by AngelOfDeath124 »

Can't really answer that.. I'll listen to just about anything 'cept Jazz and most Hip-Hop.

Lately I've been listening to tracks from Video Game soundtracks that I just love, Journey, and random other assorted classic rock('cept the Journey songs are from Arrival, the first album with Steve Augeri as lead singer.)
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I like quite a broad range of music myself, but not necessarily entire albums from that 'broad range'. I have my favourite rap, pop, hip-hop, rock, trance, techno songs, and all that.

I have three musical artists/groups that are my favourites, but I can't really put anyone above the other. They are:

David Bowie
Nine Inch Nails
Pink Floyd

I have basically everything they've released, (being a NIN fanboy has been difficult, especially the waits between albums, which is great nowadays because his new album, Year Zero is out next month!), so I'm pretty much at a wits end with them at the moment. Except David Bowie I think. He has so many varied albums I pretty much never get sick of him. (I pretty much like all his albums... some less than others obviously).

Asside from those three, other bands I listen to quite frequently are:

Tool
Radiohead
Sigur Ros
The Mars Volta
Stratovarius
Meat Loaf
Stabbing Westward
Faith No More
The Who
Evanescence
Marilyn Manson
and maybe a little bit of Metallica if I'm in a real odd mood
oh! And The War of the Worlds Musical. Brilliant!

Friends of mine have been trying to recommend bands for me to get into, I'm slowly getting into Led Zeppelin, a little bit of Dream Theatre as well, and I'm liking what I've heard so far. I'm also planning to indulge in a little Brian Eno and Iggy Pop. I pretty much like any progessive/alternative rock, there are some real hit and miss industrial rock acts out there that I have listened to and don't really like, so yeah. That's me in a nut-shell... I think.
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Pretty varied really, nearly got complete album collections for the following bands which gives the best indicator of my preferences.
-depeche mode
-the clash
-daft punk
-air
-the cardigans
-rem
-phoenix

New people im liking are:
-Robots in disguise
-Metric
-William Besson

Tend to avoid most rap/hip hop and club dance tracks, usually pick up new music through friends recommendations or quite often album sleevenotes. Also with me going to leeds festival i'll probably see quite a few new bands then. .
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

no idea wat i listen to random songs

greenday, linkin park,take that, bryan adams also some disney songs
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

My most listened to genres are electronic dance music and rock.

Currently I am listening to a lot of Nelly Furtado and Nightwish.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I used to be really into Linkin Park myself. I bought Hybrid Theory, thought it was pretty cool, and then when Reanimation came out, I thought that was an amazing albums, and though to myself;
"Man, they should make albums like this one! It's so varied and interesting, it's pretty cool!"

Then Meteora came out, and I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed, simply because the scope of it wasn't as huge as Reanimation. Sure it had heaps of great songs, but like the first album, the whole experience was over far too quick.

I'm one of those people who gets frustrated with the music on the basic commerical radio stations of New Zealand. Just because if I'm not paying particular attention to what's being played, it kinda morphs into one giant sprawling noise of familiarity, but I will say that I was surprized with how much I liked Nelly Furtado's songs from her newest album.

And this is coming from the guy who was driven insane by how frequently the radio used to play; "I'm like a bird."
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Used to be into power metal and I've currently settled into the classic rock\heavy metal area. Bands I like include Europe, Boston, Bon Jovi, good old Cooper, some Maiden, Scorpions, Nightwish, Children of Bodom...

Misc stuff I listen to comes around as pop, at its best. Michael Jackson, occasionally Pink, old pop (can't name a single artist yet I like most of the songs I hear from back in the 70-80ies)

Occasionally I get my ears around japanese pop (Gackt) and Jrock (Malice Mizer, Moi Dix Mois and the likes) but it's mostly been pop [random anime openings]

Only type of music I'm not really fond of is hip hop\rap, not too "dynamic" for my taste, but gets a nice message across sometimes.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Bands and artists:

AC/DC
Black Sabbath
David Bowie
Johnny Cash
Alice Cooper
Robert Cray Band
Deep Purple
Dio
John Lee Hooker
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Limp Bizkit
Meat Loaf
Motorhead
Queen
Pink Floyd
Rainbow
Scorpions
Soundgarden
Thunder
Whitesnake

Floyd, Bowie and Cash are more recent acquisitions.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Justin
Protoform

Post by Justin »

Lately I have been really into the James Gang (Joe Walsh Era) for some unknown reason.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

It changes a lot. Currently I'm listening to a lot of Beatles, Sly and the Family Stone, Jason Mraz, Rolling Stones, John Legend, Kanye West, Outkast, Dylan, and The Killers.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Although most of my CDs would fall into the Pop Music genre, the two groups/artist I have the most albums of would be 4Him and Ray Stevens (5 and 4 respectively).

But if you ganged up my collection of classical CDs they would win out numerically.

For pop or rock music I tend towards "older artist": Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Neil Diamond and so forth. I'm apparently working on premature geezerdom since I don't spend much effort on new or edgy. ;)
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"