It's Real (Black 360)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ravage
Protoform

It's Real (Black 360)

Post by Ravage »

The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

360 Elite, Black, 120 GB HDD & HDMI output.

Still no sign of HD-DVD integration though, which is about the one thing that would've swayed me...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Lousy Takara and their overpriced black repaints...

Oh, different product. Nevermind!
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Well if they put the HD-DVD drive in then the system would have probably needed to retail at the same price as the PS3 which I don't think MS wanted to do.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
StoneCold Skywarp

I don't know about the US, but certainly in the UK there's a larger install base & more potential interest in the 360 than there is the PS3.

I know that Sony's mammoth has just been released over here but the simple fact that, even at 5 days after launch, you can walk into any number of stores in town and buy one. You still can't do that with nintendo's Wii. Take into account also that, in our store alone, we sold 5 360s on the same day that the PS3 was available and the amounts spent on those consoles would've EASILY bagged a PS3.

People are sick of Sony's dominance and it's starting to show. Particularly as they're 'ripping off' both Nintendo's innovation and 360's pioneering console/internet gaming services. They may argue that they're expanding possibilities, but without the 'devil incarnate' MS and 'kiddies favourite, but oh my god they've actually got REALLY ****ING GOOD GAMES' Nintendo, Sony really haven't got much to offer besides HD re-hashes of their franchises.

Give me Gears of War or Red Steel over Resistance:Fall of Man any day.

[/rant over]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
People are sick of Sony's dominance
Arrogance, anyway. I'm avoiding Sony hardware after the CD rootkit debacle. There are a stack of CDs out there that haven't been recalled, and will continue to turn up in stores, second-hand sales, etc. for years to come. Moral? "Sony is dangerous to my PC."

Well, not mine, I know what autorun is. But y'all get the picture.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'm hoping Sony falls behind in this cycle just because I'm sick of their stupid PR department.

As for the Elite 360, I'd like one, but I'll just stick with the one I have for the time being. I'd actually have a use for the HDMI output and the 120gig hdd, but it's not worth buying a second one.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I heard that they were releasing one that runs cooler/quiter.

This isnt it is it?

While I have not had a single problem with my 360 I would get a new one because im paranoid about such things.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

It's likely to have the BenQ drive (the DVD drives that supposedly run quieter), but yours may have one already.

I don't know how to tell if you have a BenQ drive though.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

You have to open it up.

And, no, this version doesn't include the HD-DVD. (Microsoft actually came out saying that they didn't think the format would take off - and will keep it AND the upcoming Blu Ray player as add-on extras.)

There's a 'media' version of the X360 coming out later this year supposedly as well. (The Elite may actually be it, but there hasn't been clarification).

I still think it's hilarious that so many fanbois are all about Sony's arrogance and market dominance, etc, etc... and then talk about supporting Microsoft of all companies.
StoneCold Skywarp

just FTR my point of view comes from 'working in the industry' for seven years.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

And?

I've also been in the industry, and maintain ties to it. (Being a Game Producer requires far too many hours in the week when you have a family, which is why I left it).

But, being an artist, programmer, etc, hardly qualifies anyone as an expert on which console is going to 'win' in the next couple of years.

But, if it helps you, according to GamaSutra, the PS3 sold more than double the number of units than the X360 did in its same period of time. Hardly sounds like they're losing to me.
StoneCold Skywarp

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74928 - sales of PS3 down 82% in the UK in it's second week.

They've certainly started this campaign strongly with SO MANY brilliant launch titles. Guy I know who's actually got one solely uses it as a 'cheap' blu-ray player.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Ironic, consider that, unlike the PS2's early DVD players, the PS3 actually has one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market. (And you're not SERIOUSLY citing the 'week after mega-huge launch' numbers as a TREND are you?)

And, I'm not saying that the Sony launch has been great.. they haven't. (It's a running joke that Sony and MS have a contest going to see who can screw up the most this generation.) But, at the same point of the console's lifetime, the PS3 comes out well ahead of X360. (Wii is the clear winner by that standard).

Also, the X360 does have more titles, but it's been a year and a half for the system, it had better. But, even with that, the system still seems anemic with its lineup. Come the end summer, PS3 will have more active titles for its console. (The quality of them, of course, will vary by taste.. I'm not exactly excited by the 6 different wrestling titles, for instance...)

But, I'm not exactly worried either way. X360 and PS3 are fully-funded for another two years, with most of Sony's cost now 'in the can' already. They're not going anywhere soon.