So, what've you seen then?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Halfshell

So, what've you seen then?

Post by Halfshell »

Prompted in part by the recent notion of "if I haven't seen/read it, it doesn't count", I thought it might be interesting if we had a bit of a sit-down and worked out what we have or haven't subjected ourselves to, TF-fiction-wise.

So... what have you seen/read, then? Just the US comics? Just the Devil's Due GI Joe crossover? Only the Ladybird books? Only a small-res DIVX capture of Car Robots in raw Japanese?

Share! Discuss! What do you want to see/read that you haven't? Why haven't you done it already? What did you like/hate that you have seen?

DISCUSS ALREADY!!!!!!1111one
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Just about every official English language comic (as well as- ironically enough- all of Wreakers and Universe, but not the 3D comics nor the G2 Annual nor Fleetway stuff).

The American cartoons through to the end of Beast Machines (with bits and bobs of the rest, and the Japanese shows through the end of zone.

I guess the stuff I know least is the Japanese Beast shows, I used to think I had a fairly good if basic grasp on them till the sourcebook made my ears bleed.

Oh, did anyone other than me see the obscure little film they did this Summer? It was good but could have had more tits in it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Well I've read all of the G1 UK and G1 US Marvel stuff from back in the day. Read all of the G2 stuff, which was class. Really got back ino TFs when I saw the DW comics so I've their G1 ongoing and War Within stuff. I got into IDW and picked up a subscription and read Strormbringer and Evoloutions line, I never got past Infiltration though, time and money being a key factor with a little 'un in the house.

DW's reign over TFs was erratic, but they still produced one of my favourite TF series in a long while the WW2 GI Joe/TF crossover, I just adore it, probably because it's so different. (I also enjoyed Micromasters too! :P)

I 've read a bit of DD's Gi Joe crossover stuff and enjoyed it for what it is, brightly coloured and a bit lampoony, also a nice change.

I keep meaning to watch Beast Wars I really do, I just seem to never get round to it. I've only seen fleeting episodes of RiD and Energon, Cybertron etc. Ok I guess, if a little confusing for dear old Wildrider. I've seen the original G1 cartoon from the 80's and am looking forward to the new animated series with a new born sense of optimism.

One thing I always wanted to read, there was a book 'Wheelie the wild boy of Quintesson' it had some painted art and looked like it might finally shed some light on the truth behind my favourite minibot. I forget what it was exactly, I think like a ladybird book.

I've also seen John Simm in the toilets backstage at a New Order gig, we shook hands before we washed them, I said 'Boston Kickout was great' he said 'Cheers mate thanks' and we went our seperate ways. True story.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've seen the US show and the Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory and Zone Japanese cartoons, BW/BM, RiD, Armada, Energon and all but that last few episodes of Galaxy Force. I've read the US/UK comic (including G2), the DW comics (I think all of them) and the IDW comics. Also I've read all the G.I.Joe crossovers and the Avengers one too.

I guess the only thing I haven't subjected myself to is the Japanese BW shows and the TF Manga. I guess there's the Micron Legend and Superlink cartoons and the Cybertron cartoon but I've seen them in an alternate form so I don't know that I really count them.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

I grew up on the Marvel UK run and have since read UK and US G2 bits of DW , the War Within redesigns were nice and I seem to rember Trypticon having some good lines being more akin to his marvel days than the me Octane's pet thing he had in ther Cartoon and all of IDW's run

Because of this I always think of the comic as the baseline continuity.

I remember the Ladybird books too Wasn't there one called something like:

"Decepticon Lightning strike" with a picture of Laserbeak on the cover.

oh and of ourse there was the UK Annuals which had some interesting stories in The one about Swoop's name was a classic.

as well as some complete dross although that was a minority, it might just have been the story with Backstreet where Scoop changes allegiances in the space of a page without anyone noticing.

I would like to see the Beast Wars cartoon.
Maybe one day when they do a UK format DVD

of course there is the board RPG which is an epic saga encompassing a huge cast of varied mechs in varied locations.

Which probably doesn't count but i thought i'd try a bit of product placement.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I've read all of the Marvel comics except for the tail-end of the Budiansky run. I have them lying around somewhere, but there's a world outside and all.

I had a few episodes of the original show on Betamax that I watched over and over and over again, and I probably knew The Movie by heart before I was seven years old. One of my friends had a few Season 3 episodes on purchased VHS tapes, which was strange and magical. I've watched a bunch of episodes since then on Youtube and the like.

I own a nice, shiny Beast Wars box set and I watched a bunch of Beast Machines when it was acutally on television. I taped all of Robots In Disguise at one point, which was awesome. I watched basically all of Armada, too, because I think I may have been in a deep depression / happy and content at the time. Who knows? I've watched about three episodes of Energon and Cybertron without feeling that I'm missing out.

I own all six issues of Dreamwave Volume 1 and both War Within trades, but nothing else. I've skimmed Volume 2 but really can't bring myself to read it, and I read Volume 3 and the rest because I spent a lot of that year hanging around comic shops with nothing to do. I'm all correct and present with IDW, with one of those massive hardcovers on order.

I've skimmed over the Japanese Beast Wars stuff, watched the wackier bits of Headmasters online and I bemuse my friends by keeping Vince DiCola's score on my hard drive.

And I keep my copies of Battle Beneath The Ice and the Choose Your Own Adventure books in a special place.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Read all of Marvel, obviously, plus Fleetway, Blackthorne, Dreamwave, and Grandreams... Plus the three main IDW G1 arcs and a few assorted odds. No idea how much of the storybooks I've read... Manga it's pretty much what Spengs has done for the site. And the three issues of Universe that came out.

Watched all of G1 (I think... there might actually be a couple from Season 2 I haven't got round to watching), BW, BM and RiD; a small-res DIVX capture of Car Robots in raw Japanese; dub Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory; subbed Scramble and Zone; a few eps each of BW II (including the movie) and Armada. Plus the proper film.

Oh, I read a couple of E-Hobby specs once, but masturbatory fanfic probably doesn't count...
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

All of Marvel's comics (UK, US, and G2), also both G1, and War Within miniseries from DW. From the cartoons, I've seen G1, Beast Wars, some of RiD, Armada, Energon and Cybertron. Also about the ten first episodes of Headmasters. I've got them on DVD but it seems to such a chore watching them. Not very much, in the end.

That leaves out IDW, comics, which I'm quite interested in but no easy way to get them, so I'm out of luck. I'm at the moment skimming through the most important episodes of Armada so that'll clear out eventually. I'm not sure if I even want to get on Energon and Cybertron.

They're releasing Beast Machines on DVD here in Finland (for some unknown reason) but to me they're overpriced so I don't think I'll be getting them any time soon. And I'm not that interested in japanese cartoons.

So I guess that leaves only IDW comics and Beast Machines which I'd like to see. Maybe some day...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cartoons: Well, just about everything except RiD/Car Robots and the Beast stuff.

Comics: both UK and US G1 comics...all the G1, Armada and Energon stuff DW put out

I've lost count on the IDW stuff. I did watch a few episodes of Beast stuff before deciding not to force myself into doing something I don't want to...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by zigzagger
Also read one of those 3-D books (m'eh) and quite a few of the Ladybird (I remember one came with a record)

We had the versions that came with cassette's (apropiately in the case of the Laserbeak one). "When you hear this noise" Jinglejinglejingle "Turn the page".

I've also read the UK Armada comic, but lets not talk about that.
I've also seen John Simm in the toilets backstage at a New Order gig, we shook hands before we washed them, I said 'Boston Kickout was great' he said 'Cheers mate thanks' and we went our seperate ways. True story.
You should have shouted "Manchester United loving Poof!" at him. I bet no one ever does that.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Hmmm...
  • The US G1 cartoons in their entirety. But I've only seen Season 3, Rebirth and the Movie recently enough to remember it in any detail.
  • All of the US G1 Marvel comics.
  • A good 2/3 of the UK G1 Marvel comics.
  • All of the US G2 comics.
  • The Find Your Fate Junior G1 books. :D
  • Effectively none of the Japanese cartoons.
  • A handful of translated G1 manga.
  • Most of BW.
  • Bits and pieces of BM and RiD, both of which I'd like to see more of nowadays.
  • None of Armada, Energon or Cybertron. No real interest,either.
  • About half of Dreamwave's comics, with a good working knowledge of the rest via the 'net.
  • A representative slice of IDW's output, with plans to catch up on the rest one day.
  • The Movie and the prequel novel, but none of the other tie-ins.
Originally posted by optimusskids
of course there is the board RPG which is an epic saga encompassing a huge cast of varied mechs in varied locations.

Which probably doesn't count but i thought i'd try a bit of product placement.
Good man.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Funny how I AM still curious to see the Japanese BW stuff, despite BW2 supposedly being only marginally better than Victory (meaning it must be pretty bad).

I guess BW2 is a must watch to sort of prepare myself for BWNeo, which apparently is a lot better...
Clay

Post by Clay »

I've got G1 seasons 1 & 2 on dvd; never finished watching them.

I've seen the animated movie twice, and absolutely abhor it.

I've got the Beast Wars complete show on dvd and love it.

I've also got the first Beast Wars four-issue comic thing from a year or so ago.

Apart from random clips of various other shows, that's it. :\
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Ummm lets see here I have seen/read the following....

-G1 animated series
-G1 Movie
-Some of Headmasters, Victory, and Zone...not much..just random episodes
-Scramble City OVA
-Large number of the Marvel comic back in my childhood...my memory seems to span to the point where Powermaster Prime and the pretenders became really prominent in the comic.
-Beast Wars
-About half of Beast Wars II series (and at this point I'm forced to watch in Japanese and try my hardest to follow along with my limited knowledge of the language since there are no fandubs/subs past a certain point) and the BWII movie "Lio Convoy in Imminent Danger!"
-A few random episodes of Beast Wars Neo
-Armada
-Energon
-Cybertron
-Kiss Players manga
-The 2 Robot Masters episodes
-Movie prequel comics
-The 2007 Movie

I really want to see Beast Machines as well as finish up on my Japanese episodes of the G1 continuity. I don't know very much about RID so I'm not sure if I want to see it or not..most likely at some point in the future I will. I have scans of all the Marvel comics US and UK...just haven't gotten around to reading them all as of yet..I'm pretty much starting fresh from issue #1 and re-reading them right now to relive my childhood.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Seen:
Most of G1 cartoon, the G1 movie, all of BW, BM, a few each of RiD Armada Energon and Cybertron, the live action movie, and some random clips of the japanese series on youtube and stuff like that.

Read:
Parts of G1 Marvel comic US and UK, maybe 50 issues total combined, all of DW and IDW's stuff that relates to G1.

I've wanted to read the whole Marvel US/UK runs for a while, but that would be a significant undertaking getting all those comics together.