[Animated] Reaction Thread: "Along Came a Spider", Episode 9

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blitzwing

[Animated] Reaction Thread: "Along Came a Spider", Episode 9

Post by Blitzwing »

Spoilers for the episode.

Looks like I'm the first to have seen this one?

So we get an Optimus centered episode this time. I really liked it. I didn't know they were planning to introduce Elita-1 in this series. I thought it was pretty obvious that when BA showed up, she was actually Elita-1. Should be a very interesting character if they give her a decent amount of screen time in the series. We also get some insight into why Optimus was sent on minning duty, and why Sentinal doesn't like him so much. Although, I don't see how the Autobots could have put all the blame on Optimus, and not on Sentinal. I guess he blamed himself and didn't defend himself when Sentinal blamed him.

Also liked the humour in the episode. Bumblebee and Bulkhead are a good comedy pair.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

I just caught it this morning. Good episode, though a little weird. I like Blackarachnia, and it looks like her character isn't too much changed from the original. Sari and the Autobots trick-or-treating was pretty cute and fun.

It seemed a little un-Prime-like for Optimus to just have given up on Elita back at the spider planet though. I though for sure he'd make some heroic attempt to go after her, and Sentinel would be the one to chicken out. As it is, she has good reason to be ticked at him.

Also, I missed some parts, but why did Sari age at the end? Just a random effect of the key?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Yeah, the key was able to affect organic life because it was connected with BA.

I liked this episode, and I love the concept of making Elita-1 and BA one in the same in this story. I think it was also nice to actually get a Decepticon bad guy instead of the Teen Titanesque 'random baddy human guy of the week.'

And that might be the second Animated toy I end up getting. (Prowl's looking to be on the list)
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

Interesting episode, nice that the transformers get some back story.

Funny to see how Elita-1 first pulls a Megaman(copying someones powers) and then pulls a Captain America with the shield, and later again she swings from house to house like Spiderman.

Did anyone notice that there was a helmet/head laying on the floor inside the spaceship that looks like Blackarachnias just in black and grey instead on black and yellow. I thought that that would later be used to hide some transorganick disfuguration, but that was aparently not the case.

Is the some sort of love triangel evolving? Sentilel is laying his arm arround Elita-1, but as Blackarachnia she is interested in Optimus Prime, I geuss I'm reading too much into it.

Kind of interesting to see what is behind Bulkheads jaw, although it falling off juding by the next scene was probably a one shot joke.

Should we hope that the ending with Sari's key will make it fade a bit out of the show? Or will it more become their secret weapon, last way out sort of thing?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Yeah, I Noticed the helmet too. Not sure exactly how the love-triangle worked, though obviously BA has mixed emotions with Prime.

I'm rather hoping they'll fade out the whole Sari/kiddy interaction more, but I don't think that's part of the plan at the moment. Possibly as the series grows.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

I forgot to mention, but I loved the design for Elita, especially the ponytail. Somehow, all the flashbacks gave me a 'high-school students' kind of vibe, with Sentinel as the jock, Elita as his girlfriend, and Optimus the nervous goody-two-shoes. I might be reading a little too much into a children's cartoon though. :)
Smokescreen GT

Post by Smokescreen GT »

Good episode. Really liked the flashbacks revealing how Elita-1 becomes Blackarachnia. Nice little twist there. I also liked all the humor. "Count Dracubot!" And Sari's costume and imitation of Prime was priceless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BackTrax
Protoform

Post by BackTrax »

This episode was very interesting. I like what they did, making Aelita 1 Black Arachinia. Very original. I like Sari trick or treating as Optimus, that was just funny. I would have liked to see just a little more, like Her telling how she joined the decpticons after wards but it was good enough as is.
Don't follow me, you'll never make it!"
fantomdranzerx
Protoform

Post by fantomdranzerx »

I thought it was a nice episode. It's a bit too early for Halloween, but that's only a minor problem. Sari's costume was really funny, and it was a surprise to me too. Blackarachnia should be a good character in later episodes.

Okay, so for the Decepticons we have Blackarachnia, Megatron, Starscream, and Lockdown (sorta) on Earth. Now we just need Blitzwing and Lugnut, and any other Decepticons that might arrive.
"Adult Robots may not act like children."---Excerpt from the Robot Law (Astro Boy)
DeviantArt
Wingsabre
Protoform

Post by Wingsabre »

I thought it was interesting and good.

but really Black Arachnia is a idiot.

Shes said ' and i tried to use my power but infected myself with their venom'

no she lifted her arms let her guard down and tried to use a power that hadnt worked previously.And they bit her.

why not run away, transform , dodge. They are spiders not super fast monsters!

She even blames herself for getting bit.

But the spiders seemed awfully big and mutated. maybe the enegon affected them.

I thought that fumgation tent Bulkhead was wearing seemed a little dangerous, it still had fumes coming out of it.

In BW the namesake was so cool and interesting.

I didnt like Elita 1 s helmet. If youve got hair or spikes etc show it .If its a plume or a crest its clear because its always on show.
If its a metal crested helmet make it cool and look like a metal crested helmet. Dont make the crest look like a puffed up front and ponytail!Make it a proper crest high wide whatever, but a proper take into battle crest that deflects swords etc!Thats just silly. i mean if she has hair etc why dosnt she just have it down?Or hanging out of her helmet loose or in a style.

thats what pissed me off about Arrcee. her helmet looked like a two rolls over the ears hairstyle under a helmet.It struck me as sexist.What a female cant have a helmet on its own?

going well though.
The flinch in your eyes calls your bluff
Feel free to die when youve had enough
Useless cause is breaking your back
Your life will end when you attack

Check out my art here

http://viviax.deviantart.com/
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Wingsabre wrote:I thought that fumgation tent Bulkhead was wearing seemed a little dangerous, it still had fumes coming out of it.
Umm... that's why it was funny?
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Wingsabre wrote:I didnt like Elita 1 s helmet. If youve got hair or spikes etc show it .If its a plume or a crest its clear because its always on show.
If its a metal crested helmet make it cool and look like a metal crested helmet. Dont make the crest look like a puffed up front and ponytail!
Actually, the style closely matches Ariel from the G1 episode (before she was Elita-1).
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Wingsabre wrote:I thought it was interesting and good.
why not run away, transform , dodge. They are spiders not super fast monsters!
Because she was surrounded? Makes it hard to run away, transform, dodge, if it's not going to do anything for you. The spiders don't have to be super fast if all they need to do is block the exits with their massive size and large number.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I got to watch this last night when I got home from vacation, and I was pleasantly surprised :)

I think this is the best episode since the premiere 3 parter really. Blackarachnia was just awesome. Very true to her BW characterization, but with a very well thought out backstory. I love the fact that she has the ability to steal others powers much like a certain X-men heroine.

I have to disagree with Wingsabre, BA was not an idiot, the Autobots were! They all were falling for her "I'm a pretty bot, don't hurt me" bit. Optimus even fell for it after he knew what a nasty little vixen she was.

Oh and did anyone else chuckle uncomfortably when BA said to Prime "I know you just wanna put foam in my face!", or was my mind just in the gutter atm in time? :eek:
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

No, you weren't the only one. Though, admittedly, I didn't think of it until someone else brought it up at another board.
Wingsabre
Protoform

Post by Wingsabre »

i did think she was a silly flirt.and a dangerous one too. Messing around with anyones emotions is dangerous.

I mean playing two men off like that gives girls a bad name.

its clearly the old two diferent males lets taunt em thing.

all that ooh, im a helpless female thing made me wanna hurl.

And i dont care if the original Ariel had a similer helmet. Just cos it appeared in some G1 comic dosnt mean its good.The G1 helmet is stupid too.Not all things G1 are good.Remember the character a lot of people hate? Wheelie.And dont forget Soundwave compressing himself inot a tape deck.
The series are all good . I dont get this reverance for G1. Its the first , and inovative and it led the way,But its not perfect. few things are.

Id say Black Arachnia is her own worst enemy.

id have prefered that she be some kick ass warrior who didnt ask for backup and didnt need rescueing much.Gone in the ship on her own and been well balanced.

Or not gone into the obviously dangerous ship in the first place.

if i saw that silly Elita 1 animated helmet and i was attacking her the first thing id do would be aim straight for the break tween front and 'ponytail' and slam my sword down hard and break her head.Knock her out at least.The worse case i hurt her less and get my sword a bit jammed.Then id just pull it out or jam it in deeper and twist it. The best is bad injuries and my sword free to fight with.

Helmets have to be practical and deflect blows etc.
The flinch in your eyes calls your bluff
Feel free to die when youve had enough
Useless cause is breaking your back
Your life will end when you attack

Check out my art here

http://viviax.deviantart.com/
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

I didn't say it "looked good." Only that it "looked like." :angel:
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Ackula:"I think this is the best episode since the premiere 3 parter really."

QFT.
Come on and wind me up.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Wingsabre wrote:if i saw that silly Elita 1 animated helmet and i was attacking her the first thing id do would be aim straight for the break tween front and 'ponytail' and slam my sword down hard and break her head.Knock her out at least.The worse case i hurt her less and get my sword a bit jammed.Then id just pull it out or jam it in deeper and twist it. The best is bad injuries and my sword free to fight with.
You have a sword?
adamtrion
Protoform

Post by adamtrion »

RUNAMOK wrote:Interesting episode, nice that the transformers get some back story.

Funny to see how Elita-1 first pulls a Megaman(copying someones powers) and then pulls a Captain America with the shield, and later again she swings from house to house like Spiderman.
Yeah, and Bulkhead & Bumblebee did a "Fast Ball Special" to catch sari.

+ Maybe it was just me but when I saw Elita I thought at first thet she is Beta due to her colors.