Purchasing regrets.

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
The Doctor

Purchasing regrets.

Post by The Doctor »

What TFs have you regretted spending your hard earned money on? I still regret buying Armada Deluxe Optimus Prime. He was crap back then and is utter crap now imo.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It's spelled 'regrets', not 'regrests'.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Metallic Finish Starscream from TFTM. I HATE that toy.
Civ

Post by Civ »

The list feels endless at times. It's not, but it feels like it.
  • Armada Optimus Prime that can combine with Jetfire
  • Armada Jetfire
  • Energon Omega Supreme
  • Most of the Energon Autobots save for Landmine, Beachcomber, and Strongarm. That being said, I am getting Universe 2.0 Superion Maximus but with those extra attachments.
  • Energon Megatron
  • Cyberton Master Galvatron
  • Cybertron Skywarp
  • RiD Cryotek
  • Most of the Optimus Primals save the original.
  • The reissued Star Convoy
That should do it for now.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Most of it.

Should have kept the cash.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Blackjack wrote:It's spelled 'regrets', not 'regrests'.
Good ****ing work there, Captain Friendly*

I bought most of Armada at (UK) retail prices, which turned out to be a big waste - I've since moved the lot on, and at a fraction of the price, because Armada really was shite.

Plus I've just got a Clover Gundam from an Italian shithead who seems to have told two or three direct lies in the auction description. Which is nice. Italians are generally lovely. Toy dealers are generally lovely. So how come every Italian toy dealer seems to be a **** on a truly epic scale?

* Hypocrisy averted: I only go for idiots.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Plus I've just got a Clover Gundam from an Italian shithead who seems to have told two or three direct lies in the auction description. Which is nice. Italians are generally lovely. Toy dealers are generally lovely. So how come every Italian toy dealer seems to be a **** on a truly epic scale?
The inverse law of the double negative?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Possibly.

Actually, to hijack this a second - basically, I already have one of these figures, and the parts off this knackered one (not just accessories, some actual physical parts) could be useful still to round off my old one, rather than outright replace it as was the plan. However, despite the end result really just being that I'll be left with a junker at the end, rather than a spare I could sell on, I'm right to be pissed off that it's nothing like the description, yeh?

The problem is I don't want to return it for the money, as I do want some parts of it... Basically, if at the end of the day I do want to keep the thing, am I right to be so pissed off that it isn't as described?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I regret pretty much every figure from the movie line that I bought. That is really about it. That seems to be the only time where I was in impulse mode, I haven't had a good enough financial situation since then, to be able to say I regret buying anything. I tend to only buy something I really want now, since the opportunity to buy something rarely comes up.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Blackjack wrote:It's spelled 'regrets', not 'regrests'.
"Autobot" should be capitalised in your signature image.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Cybertron Override GTS, Armada Starscream, BW Drill Bit, Energon Arcee, that's about it really...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Mostly the 2007 movie deluxes and some others that I purchased:

Jazz
'74 Camaro Bumblebee
Brawl
Barricade
Legends Jazz
Legends Starscream
Energon Insecticon

I ended up selling them, and at the time of purchase I thought they were pretty good. With a little time, and the release of some Classics/Universe stuff that was far superior, I got a good feel for what type of toys I really enjoyed, and others that I felt were crap. Movie Jazz especially, that one just isn't much fun. I would also imagine that with time, some of the ones I enjoy today will fall into the 'bad toy' category...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The only Movie figure I bought (excluding the Legends, which we surely all really expected to be shit, and can't really complain about...) was Deluxe Bumblebee... The problem with the Movie figures is once you've recreated their memorable scenes a few times, there somehow just isn't much charm to them. It's kinda like... you really can't imagine them doing anything other than their Movie moves (yuck). They're sort of the action figure equivalent of YouTube clips - you watch them ten times in three days, then barely look at them ever again. Every now and then I look at Prime or Ironhide and think "Wow, they look like good figures", but I'm always able to warn myself off the purchase.

Plus complex transformations are kinda irritating. It's great if you want a transformation to be a long-haul process, but I really just want something I can muck around with for five minutes.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Never had that problem myself with the better figures. Sure, the only thing I can picture Megatron doing is ripping Jazz in two and getting killed, but most of the smaller figures are engaging enough to not be limited to a movie diorama.

As for my regretful purchases... I think any of the very large mainline figures released from 2002 to 2008 that I actually bought, excluding Unicron and Primus.
wyze2099
Protoform

Post by wyze2099 »

I seriously regret Jungle Bonecrusher (2007 movie). He should've been Voyager class instead of Deluxe. Most of the vehicle mode's bulk is taken up by the robot mode's arms, causing the robot mode to be ridiculously stumpy. Trying to recreate the Bonecrusher vs. Optimus highway fight with Deluxe Animated!Optimus is just sad, as Bonecrusher ends up looking like a stumpy third-grader.

RoTF!Chromia is another disaster. Her robot mode looks fluid and awesome in the movie, somehow, but the figure's robot mode just looks awkward. I kept wanting to transform the figure an extra couple of steps to give her some decent legs. I just keep her in motorcycle mode next to Ironhide. I doubt there's any hanky-panky going on between them when I'm not around, because Uniclassics Onslaught is standing right behind them.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

wyze2099 wrote:Her robot mode looks fluid and awesome in the movie, somehow, but the figure's robot mode just looks awkward.
Plastic figure designed by idiots in "Not as dynamic as on-screen counterpart" shocker.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:The problem with the Movie figures is once you've recreated their memorable scenes a few times, there somehow just isn't much charm to them
Starscream has a very Robocop-walker feel that I like.

Found that Alternators lost charm the more of them I got, though, like the 200x MOTU line. One or two's enough IMO.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Agree there... I've said it before to the extent that Clay's probably grinding his teeth anyway, but I felt after the first handful they went to needlessly convoluted lengths to find a different way of turning a car into a robot - especially with all the bumper-boob ones, where they just go mental on the legs because that's all they had to play with. Slimmed down to just Smokescreen (genuine classic mould) and Shockwave (despite one laughable piece of engineering, the best all-round Decepticon). Vaguely interested in a KO Grimlock just because he might fit the mould better than Wheeljack (and that is a dynamite alt mode), but again I found after the novelty of the ludicrous transformations wore off, I just never touched the things.

Plus most of them had such silly guns. And most of the car modes were the same disgusting modern toothpaste-squirt things.
Lonewyrm
Protoform

Post by Lonewyrm »

Movie Landmine. I can say without hyperbole the ugliest TF I ever bought. And got a present of Armada Sideswipe, but if I'd bought him I'd be heartbroken. Crap, with a twisted abortion of a minicon. Double Clutch, one of the G2 Gobots. That's it really. Even though there's a few more I don't love, they're the only ones I really dislike. Although even Landmine is growing on me.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Agree there... I've said it before to the extent that Clay's probably grinding his teeth anyway, but I felt after the first handful they went to needlessly convoluted lengths to find a different way of turning a car into a robot -
Nah, I pretty much agree with you. I actually put all the metals back into their boxes a few days ago as I was disgusted with how much dust they'd gathered from inattention.

I think part of the problem with the line was not enough molds versus released figures. A mold and a remold to get people to buy it twice, offsetting licensing costs? Sure. Six different versions of the Subaru? Maybe not.

I will say that the Mazda mold (used for Shockwave and two or three versions of Jazz) completely outpaces the the Subaru, though. It's basically the same design, but a strict improvement on it. Mirage was pretty neat, too.