The Olympics.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

The Olympics.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Re: The Opening Ceremony:

Did they get the Americans behind the UK set episodes of Murder She Wrote to put this together? Cricket, bee keeping, Victorians, Ken Brannagh quoting Shakespeare in a top hat... Throw in the trip from the source of the Thames making it look as if everywhere outside of London is idyllic green countryside where small children play in brooks and I think the only thing so far that's even slightly truly representative of Britain so far was the brief bit of the Eastenders themetune.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm, unusual stuff - opening ceremonies for sports events tend to be very straightforward affairs that are highly representative of everyday life in the host country normally.
inflatable dalek

Do they usually go that clichéd though? It's the equivalent to the Australian one opening with a massive barbie. And "Representive of Britain" doesn't have to mean representive of real life of course, but something that actually sums up the country properly would be nice.

The Bond bit wins points though for playing it as if we're just going to get a lookalike for the Queen before she turns round. And I suppose we're the only country in the world that would have a comedy sequence of our head of state jumping out of a helicopter as the centrepiece of the opening ceremony.

Though bases on her grumpy face during the anthem she may not have been so keen on the idea.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nope, they're always completely ridiculous. Seriously, I'm not just being glib... It's like Eurovision or something - everyone expects them to be as stupid and bizarre as possible. The one for USA '94 is still probably the finest ever made.
inflatable dalek

In fairness, things have improved hugely from Bond onwards (they also seem to have sorted out the sound problems). Mr. Bean (how well remembered is Chariots of Fire outside the UK?) was actually funny for once and there is something wonderfully genuinely British about doing a Michael Fish joke that will leave the rest of the world completely baffled.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I watched five minutes of this. Completely inappropriate juxtaposition of electronic music with a re-enactment of the Industrial Revolution. And the weirdest combo of talking heads - Trevor Nelson and Huw thingy off the news.

I'd had enough of the Olympics during BBC's 'Olympic Breakfast' (Little Chef should sue, just cos LOCOG are intent on sueing anyone who isn't an official sponsor using the word 'Olympic', the crazy b*st*rds) with their moronic barely finished studio full of echoes, that f**king bell ringing sh*t and the balcony they foolishly have Carol the irritating false laugh weather woman standing on (me, I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to push her off).
inflatable dalek

Did I miss some really obvious link between Bohemian Rhapsody and the Tardis?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

More interested in the budget for UK's Olympics compared to the ceremonies we had in 2004.

Also, what stadiums\open rings\whatever London is using to stage and host the sports are used? Were they built for the olympics specifically or are they regular\popular avenues from before?

Because more than 70% of what was built and\or renovated here in Greece is gathering dust for 8 years.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

The main Stadium and surroundings have been especially built, though there's preexisting stuff (like the Millennium Center) being used as well. IIRC they're planning to turn the main one over to a footy team afterwards. Though there was some sort of argument over which one.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I watched it up to the Bond bit on my lunch break at work. It was weird as anything but at least it had a sense of humour. Very British.
inflatable dalek wrote:Though there was some sort of argument over which one.
And yet they never came to the obvious conclusion of just solving it with a game of football.
I like bears.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

I did not watch it and am generally not interested in sports on tv.

Why watch other people doing their job? Nobody watches me doing mine... :-(
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
inflatable dalek

You don't jump out of helicopters or fight a giant Harry Potter baddy though.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

inflatable dalek wrote:You don't jump out of helicopters or fight a giant Harry Potter baddy though.
How would you know? I moved to china when my cover was blown in central Europe.

Nobody sits in font of the monitor more dramatically than me!
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hey, the opening ceremony British olympic kit is styled closely on Runamuck!