Front page application?

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Notabot

Front page application?

Post by Notabot »

I just updated to IE 7, and I'm getting a warning/advisory about the front page wanting to install/run "Quicktime Check Scriptable Object." I had never gotten this before, and was just wondering what it is. Site seems to work fine without it, but I thought I'd ask the pros.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's old javascript to do image rollovers and suchlike, a newer bit for the ad script -- which you can read at http://www.phpadsnew.com -- no externally hosted scripts, though.

Did it do it more than once? i.e. Do you get the prompt every time you go to the page? Only similar circumstance I can find is this:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/scotti ... 6a30f5e0e5

(Apart from some gaming site apparently misunderstanding and freaking out.)

As an educated guess it's probably connected to the known bug in IE7 betas with dropdown menus, since there's some code for them in the header. I don't think it's required for anything any more; I'll have a word with Matt about clipping it out, to reduce false positives.

On another note, I'd recommend against using Internet Explorer for anything if you have a choice, given Microsoft's security record with IE over the last ten years and particularly the last few.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Yeah, it shows up every time. In fact, I thought it was just the front page, but it popped up on every section but "Forums" when I started roaming around. Just wanted to make sure the site hadn't been malwared or anything. I figured it was to do with IE 7 since that's the only thing that changed. I blame the user, personally.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could you do me a favour -- head back to the main page, hit Ctrl-F5 a couple of times to reload it without using cached files (and force the .js to be re-downloaded, as only using Ctrl-F5 once sometimes doesn't) and see if it's still throwing up a message?

If that works okay, could you then look at the Toys and Creative sections, and see if they're message-free? Ta.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Still comes up every time after several refreshes on all three pages (front, toys, creative). Could it be related to one of the advertisement (advertizement) banners? I noticed those aren't on the Forums page, which is the only one that doesn't give me the blip.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Notabot
Could it be related to one of the advertisement (advertizement) banners? I noticed those aren't on the Forums page
They are, assuming you're talking about the bar things at the top that say things like "Titanium 6inch Soundwave" -- and the small buttons at the side in the column that's only there on the main site are just smaller versions of those.

I'll have a root around to see if I can spot anything and talk to the boss guy.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Found it, I think...

http://tfarchive.com/common/awstats_misc_tracker.js

It's just checking to see whether a Quicktime plugin is installed.

Specifically:

Code: Select all

awstats_detectIE("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck.1")
Nothing to worry about, but I will point it out to Brendan because if Microsoft have moved the goalposts and IE7 is going to flag the check or drop out of it with an error it's likely to confuse and/or worry people.

edit:

Fingers crossed it shouldn't come up any more.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Problem resolved!
Thank you TFA-IT.