[Comic] How proud could Grimlock be?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

[Comic] How proud could Grimlock be?

Post by Cliffjumper »

I was reviewing the post-EoE Marvel comics, and a thought occured to me. Now, first things first, this is disproven by some of Bludgeon's later dialogue, buuuuut....

Would anyone put it above Grimlock as he is at the time to sabotage the Autobot shuttles himself, knowing he had back-up avaliable, and to take Prowl down a peg or two?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

...and Mirage is a traitor too!

Maybe if it was Grimlock as written by Mad Brick.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

C'mon, Grimlock had two determined swipes at destroying the entire Autobot faction, would a third really be a surprise?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Too risky and a bit out of character.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like his first leadership tilt, or getting everyone killed on Klo for no apparent reason? Or jamming pretty much everyone full of Nucleon?
sikkbones
Protoform

Post by sikkbones »

grimlock is god.. u dare mess with the mighty grimlock... leader of the autobots?

when did he become leader anyways? in the comics, the movie or the cartoon?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The comic. First time he alienated all the Autobots and got replaced by Optimus off-screen. Second time he got all but four Autobots killed, and needed a great big helping hand from god to save his arse. He's a class act.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Second time he got all but four Autobots killed, and needed a great big helping hand from god to save his arse.

This is in fact solely down to the greatness of Bludgeon. How dare you suggest otherwise?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Greatness? The "Thank Primus, we're up against Grimlock" battle-plan nearly gave Ratbat victory... the actual greatness of any Decepticon facing Grimlock is neither here nor there...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yes, but it does kinda devalue the notion of "Bludgeon killed almost the entire Autobot army and it took divine intervention to stop him" when you throw in "the Autobots were being commanded by Grimlock, though."

On one side of the coin, Bludgeon masterminded his Conference team to the final of the FA Cup, stretched it to extra time and was robbed in the last minute...

Whilst on the flipside, the reigning Premiership Champions overcame their tactical moron of a manager and their late substitue hit a clearance from his own goal line into the opposition net.

In short, either Bludgeon nearly orchestrated the greatest win ever, or a miracle stopped Grimlock avoiding an embarrasing defeat.

Grimmers = Kev Keegan.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Brend's brain is leaking grass clippings from the Newcastle pitch...
ShadowSonic
Protoform

Post by ShadowSonic »

Let's face it, with the exception of Earthforce (and there it was just a small detatchment, not the whole faction) Grimlock's leadership tints haven't been so hot:

- Got himself and all the Dinobots trapped in tar for 4 million years just to take out one Con (true it was Shockwave but still)

- "King" Grimlock, need I say more? Well maybe I should because his obsession with killing Blaster nearly got all the Bots slagged on the Moon if Blaster didn't call a truce to stop the Cons.

- Not even trying to uphold the Bot/Con alliance post-Unicron, and then getting all the Bots except him and 4 or so others all massacred, Prime and the Last Autobot had to save his sorry metal behind.

- Not thinking that Jhiaxus would be on to his (not so brillant) military tactics in G2 leading to his squad all getting caught and a couple of them slagged, and Prime had to save him again.

Add all that up, and I don't think you have a definitive leader, a great warrior but no leader.
I'd like to say it's been nice knowing you, but I'd be lying.

-Vile
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yes, but Grimlock was detirmined to keep Tracks dead... Surely that counts for somthing... ;)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Maraudermus Prime 2
Protoform

Post by Maraudermus Prime 2 »

Grimlock can be a fool sometimes
FANTASTIC!
spiderfrommars
Protoform

Post by spiderfrommars »

Originally posted by ShadowSonic

- Got himself and all the Dinobots trapped in tar for 4 million years just to take out one Con (true it was Shockwave but still)

Actually that was Snarl.

- "King" Grimlock, need I say more? Well maybe I should because his obsession with killing Blaster nearly got all the Bots slagged on the Moon if Blaster didn't call a truce to stop the Cons.

Agreed. He was being a ****.

- Not even trying to uphold the Bot/Con alliance post-Unicron, and then getting all the Bots except him and 4 or so others all massacred, Prime and the Last Autobot had to save his sorry metal behind.

Well he just wasn't as gullible as the rest of the 'bots. He deserves extra points for that. Bludgeon was never going to put up with an alliance.

- Not thinking that Jhiaxus would be on to his (not so brillant) military tactics in G2 leading to his squad all getting caught and a couple of them slagged, and Prime had to save him again.

And 2 issues later he saves Prime's behind. Not totally stupid then.

Problem is Grimlock is far from a consistent character. His presence was usually indication of a good story though (minus the King Grim phase of course).
ShadowSonic
Protoform

Post by ShadowSonic »

Yeah, he even suffered from that in the DW comics, Pat Lee had him go traitor in G1 Volume One. I know Brad Mick retconned it so that Grimmers was just going along with it to keep Megs from killing the other Bots, but Lee originally just wanted him to go traitor.

Frankly, going through the old G1 Marvel comics and comparing them to other "Wolverine" type characters, Grimmers was pretty annoying, Cartoon AND Comic.
I'd like to say it's been nice knowing you, but I'd be lying.

-Vile
Bouncelot
Protoform

Post by Bouncelot »

Be fair, if it wasn't for him, the Bots wouldn't have got as far as getting off Cybertron or finding the Decepticons.
Mabus
Protoform

Post by Mabus »

I don't like how Grimlock is being portrayed in the new comics just as much as i didn't like his portrayal in G1 Season 3 where he was stuck in T-rex mode for no reason looking like a dumb-kid.

Grimlock was cooler leading the Dinobots and storming off like a spoilt brat when he doesn't like something. Grimlock with any sort of brains is a bad thing unless your a Technobot fan.

I think it would have been cooler having Grimlock and his fellow Dinobots being a group of deadly non-aligned Transformer combatants; mercernary or bounty hunter like. Would allow Grimlock to be a great mini-leader and build a persona of a hard-ass mercenary who can attack Autobots or Decepticons if needed without bing labelled a traitor.

After a while say he and the Dinobots out of neccessity have to align with the ranks of the Autobots, but his fierce independance make him a thorn to the Autobots side as he would rather follow his own instincts than orders from others and goes off doing what he wills.

It can also give him the excuse to swap sides for a bit as neccessities change for him and his Dinobots.

[Edit:]

I also think that DW etc. are too busy trying to make Grimlock be as great as possible because most TF fans love him. This will only lead to him being saturated and typecast as the "Miracle Man That Always Saves The Day".