Do you have a place like this near you?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HotShot81
Protoform

Do you have a place like this near you?

Post by HotShot81 »

I live near Montreal, QC. I frequent a store that sells a bit of everything from cards (both Magic/Yu-Gi-oH/ and sports), coins, DVDs, VHSs, Video games of all eras. I asked them if they carried Transformers, and it seems they do sell them used, sometimes a bit over priced, but they do sell them.

I am just wondering if this a common kind of store?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Because not a lot of the stock shifts quickly, they tend to thrive where rents are low -- eg, Wolverhampton, where the high street stores aren't otherwise healthy.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Brother in law saw some around London [definitely not near me].

Not a single one in Athens. Not one in York.

Closest thing to a generalized merchandise shop like that is a specialty collectibles store near the JobCentre in York. It has vintage videogames, guitars/musical instruments, possibly cards, but not figures.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote:Not one in York.
Yeah, in any town that supports that many fashion boutiques there's very little chance.

From memory there aren't even many fast food places -- tends to be more gastropubs.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Nah, there's definitely some fast foods [only 2, max 3 in the town. The other pizza places are on the outskirts/closer to the uni] places, but they are outnumbered 1 to 4 by gastropubs.

Too many clothes/fashion stores, indeed.

At least we've got ONE specialty/videogame store that's not part of a national chain.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I sometimes run across them while travelling. Most of them are overpriced. I have seen some really large/TF-dedicated ones out on the Pacific coast, but they're usually staffed by total pricks.
Its funny, because if I go to an anime store in the same area, they're so nice I feel nauseous.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

You're near Montreal? That's somewhere on my to-do list.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

There's a store a bit like that in Weston-Super-Mare, where I've picked up a few figures in the past. There's also one in Woking which does lots of figures and memorabilia, old and new, but which doesn't have any games or films.
Similarly, my local game shop has second hand DVDs, some merch and lots of Warhammer.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Reverend wrote:Most of them are overpriced.
Have to echo this for the UK; it's the sort of thing I'd love to support but just can't justify spending marked-up prices. I'm not entirely sure how Forbidden Planet remain financially solvent now ebay's so widely-known.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Man, forbidden planet is terrible. So are most "comic book shops". But most places that sell second hand figures, that I've found, have no idea of their worth so there's normally a bargain or two.
I like bears.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Great Escape in Nashville often has G1s... sometimes its just Action Masters and Micromasters, but other times I have found full-size figs. (Its close to Clay and maybe some of you others - the Madison branch seems to be where I've had the best luck lately.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Summerhayes wrote: But most places that sell second hand figures, that I've found, have no idea of their worth so there's normally a bargain or two.
On the rare occasions I've seen somewhere selling vintage G1 post-film they seem to have this weird policy of pricing basically everything at one price - I've seen a Backstreet and what looked like an original Trailbreaker both marked at £15 in one. So rip-off on one hand, bargain on the other...
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Cliffjumper wrote:On the rare occasions I've seen somewhere selling vintage G1 post-film they seem to have this weird policy of pricing basically everything at one price - I've seen a Backstreet and what looked like an original Trailbreaker both marked at £15 in one. So rip-off on one hand, bargain on the other...
Backstreet certainly is a fine, fine toy. Well worth every penny.
Wreck and Rule!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

In spite of Winnipeg generally being considered a second-rate town, this is one area we excel in. There are at least two full-fledged stores that specialize in stuff like this, a few more that carry some but not all of those things and a heck of a lot of regular flea market sellers who sell them under the same roof. I tend to make two or three trips a year looking for bargains, and rarely leave disappointed.
Cliffjumper wrote:On the rare occasions I've seen somewhere selling vintage G1 post-film they seem to have this weird policy of pricing basically everything at one price - I've seen a Backstreet and what looked like an original Trailbreaker both marked at £15 in one. So rip-off on one hand, bargain on the other...
None of the shops around here are that dense when it comes to G1 stuff. :( On the other hand, many of them seem to place almost zero value on Beast Wars toys because they don't know enough about it to differentiate show characters from non-show nobodies that only I like. Over the last couple years I've picked up around twenty toys from the line (on-screen and off) and only paid a bit over $200 for the bunch.