• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2017-03-07, 09:43 PM   #661
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Yeah, the shared mold is a bit of a double-edged sword in this case -- on the one hand it's a bit "m'eh, already got this", even with the new parts. On the other hand, Triggerhappy is fantastic so it's hard to really be all that bothered.

And who am I kidding? Misfire was my second Transformer as a kid and this is a super-accurate new rendition of him. I'm going to be all over it when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Official pics seem to indicate that it's either black or grey depending on how the shading works here...
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/03/06/o...slinger-335079
Yeah, looks tons better with the dark head. Slugslinger's face looks kinda squashed, though.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 03:48 PM   #662
Warcry

So toys for The Last Knight have started popping up at Toys'R'Us stores around Canada...priced $10 more than their Titans Returns counterparts of the same size class. So Deluxes are $30, Voyagers are $40, etc... Apparently it's being branded as "premier edition adult collectors' figures" in spite of being, you know, just regular movie toys. And it sounds like the same price hike happened in the UK too, so it's not just a Canada thing or TRU price gouging.

There's no way this crap actually sells at that price point, is there? If this price increase carries over to the Generations stuff I'm going to be shopping exclusively at 50% off sales. Thankfully there'll be lots of those because it'll be the only way they'll get the merchandise to move!

Old 2017-04-22, 03:41 AM   #663
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

A local chain here in RI, USA has Last Knight Premier Optimus & Grimlock Voyagers for US$30 each, US$5 more than TR Voyagers go for. However, TR Voyagers have pretty chintzy looking stickers while the LK figures had nicer paint than usual. It doesn't justify a 20% price bump, though.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 05:31 PM   #664
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

For those getting Trypticon, hip joint fixes or "Why do they use springs that are twice as large/strong as necessary?" --

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...g-a-hip/38720/

Still doesn't beat the stupidity with Whirl of square pieces that were meant to rotate in a square space.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 07:14 PM   #665
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Back to boxed sets, here are the other two twins.

Currently I think the only way to get their complementary siblings is through those big boxed sets. At least until Takara offers their versions.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 07:52 PM   #666
Warcry

I don't know why Hasbro bothered to pull all this chicanery with the clones. Since Takara's almost certainly going to release them properly, I can't see it having driven that much of a "must buy, this is the only way to get these characters!!!!" frenzy. Not the way that the more obscure stuff like Quickswitch or Nautica or Metalhawk would have, anyway. Why not just bundle each set of brothers together like in the old days and sell them that way?

Old 2017-07-05, 08:09 PM   #667
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

That mixed box set of clones really misses the whole appeal of the clones, huh? What a weird choice.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 07:15 PM   #668
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahukanuva View Post
That mixed box set of clones really misses the whole appeal of the clones, huh?
This.

Old 2017-07-06, 10:15 PM   #669
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahukanuva View Post
That mixed box set of clones really misses the whole appeal of the clones, huh? What a weird choice.
I don't collect the toys but looking at that link I just thought WTF

Like getting a combined set and it's 1 construction, 1 aerialbot, 1 stunticon etc etc...

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 02:47 PM   #670
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Anyway, speaking of boxsets shall we look at Hasbro's SDCC exclusive?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rev1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	11675   Click image for larger version

Name:	rev2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	11676   Click image for larger version

Name:	rev3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	11677  
Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 04:51 PM   #671
Warcry

Well, that's certainly a good way to make absolutely no one happy...

Old 2017-07-11, 06:37 PM   #672
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Would be up for a parted out Visionary, anyway.

Old 2017-07-11, 09:06 PM   #673
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

It's disappointing to see that. I'd been hoping for Trypticon as a SDCC exclusive

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 08:47 PM   #674
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Well, that's certainly a good way to make absolutely no one happy...
I just posted at a comic book site that some people were actually excited by that set.

Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 07:37 PM   #675
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Saw this over lunch -- Prime Wars gets a preview, and Titans Return release stuff.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/20/s...eakfast-344837

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/19/s...-images-344539

Skullgrin looks gloriously crap and seems like a cool way to reintroduce Pretenders without giving them too much of the production budget.

https://i.imgur.com/S3jZL9C.jpg

Old 2017-07-20, 09:06 PM   #676
Warcry

That works nicely for Skullgrin! Overlord we've seen before and I'm not super excited about any of the other new releases. Rodimus looks really clunky, Starscream seems all kinds of terrible, Jazz doesn't impress and I'm not sure how to feel about Darkwing and Dreadwind. They're fine but I already own that mold twice over. They seem to still have their combiner ports, which leaves me scratching my head. I wonder if Starscream is so awkward-looking because he's a combiner torso?

Beachcomber is alright too I guess.

Old 2017-07-21, 01:47 AM   #677
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I'm looking forward to Beachcomber, since you'll actually be able to see the Titan Master riding him. Brawn and Roadburn are great, but you can't see their drivers.

Jazz's vehicle mode looks like TR HotRod with the small cockpit. The headsculpt is iffy, and I don't like the gap in the chest. But, I am short 1 limb for Optimus Maximus, so I'll probably get him.

Darkwing and Dreadwind look pretty good individually. I saw one pic of their combined jet mode and wasn't impressed. There were gaps where the wings didn't meet properly. But, it may have been mistransformed.

I'm assuming Starscream has some sort of gimmick to explain his badness. The wings have hinges halfway between the fuselage and tip that aren't needed for either bot or jet mode. They aren't even trying to hide the arms in jet mode. It was bad enough when limbs were just stuck under the wings, and only hidden when viewed directly from above. Those shoulders aren't hidden at all. At least make them look like intakes, or weapons. I'm OK with the underside of a jet bot clearly being a bunch of robot parts. I'd just like those parts to be arranged in something approximating an actual fuselage.

Rodimus looks like a great idea (Deluxe Hotrod combines with trailer to become Leader Rodimus) executed poorly. Hoefully, they'll try again when they don't have to force the Power of the Primes gimmick on top of the combining.

And, am I understaning this right: the "Power of the Primes" is that the Titan Master-types figure each transform in a Matrix that can be stored in a Leader's chest? That doesn't really sound like fun. Plus, like Brawn and Roadburn, you won't be able to tell if there's a little guy in there. The fun of Headmasters is making different looking bots by swapping heads around. Why bother swapping Primes around?

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 07:56 AM   #678
Gouki
Not a robot.

Australia.

Is the Hot Rod that combines with the trailer a retool of that bloody Classics mould from over ten years ago?

Gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 09:46 AM   #679
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Well..... Roddy looks kind of interesting, although I'd want a closer look first. Is there a deluxe sized Hot Rod included, or do you already have to have one? Given the way the last two lines have gone, I'd guess Jazz and Starscream are supposed to emulate their Classic Pretender versions, although I'm more interested in what Grimmy will look like. Also Bludgeon. Where is Bludgeon, Hasbro? Instead of cranking out the 452nd version of Movie Prime(yes, it does look very nice), give the people what they really want: a skeleton themed, death dealing samurai shell of death merged with a tank! Your failure with TR Nightbeat is the only one we'll allow.

.... I'm sounding kind of crazed again, aren't I.

Heinrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 03:05 PM   #680
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I'm not sure how to feel about Darkwing and Dreadwind. They're fine but I already own that mold twice over. They seem to still have their combiner ports, which leaves me scratching my head.
Why? I'm glad they left them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Darkwing and Dreadwind look pretty good individually. I saw one pic of their combined jet mode and wasn't impressed. There were gaps where the wings didn't meet properly. But, it may have been mistransformed.
Yep, here's the combined mode: https://www.seibertron.com/transform...brosdcc/38985/

Can't really tell if that's as close as the wings can get or if a step was skipped. It's not a deal breaker though as the combined mode was always sketchy as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
Is the Hot Rod that combines with the trailer a retool of that bloody Classics mould from over ten years ago?
No, it appears to be the Titans Return Hot Rod from this year.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like a new mold altogether.