Ghost World/Eightball

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

Ghost World/Eightball

Post by Ackula »

Any fans of Daniel Clowes' comics? I have always been a huge fan of the film Ghostworld, and count it as one of my top ten favorites of all time, but had never actually read any of the comics. So I obtained the entire run of Eightball and the Ghost World TPB.

I must say this is a comic I can really appreciate, unique artwork and very thought provoking writing. The Ghost World bits are every bit as good as the movie itself, if not better actually. The rest is very unique, hard to describe but witty and clever.

Anyone else read this stuff before, any fans out there?
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I found the movie version of Art School Confidential to be one of the funniest movies of that year.

Any one who has been involved in an artistic themed scholastic program will relate to something in that movie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm a big fan. His comics are the real stuff. 'Death Ray,' 'David Boring' and 'Ice Haven' are some of the finest American comics around.

Conversely, I thought that 'Art School Confidential' was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time. I still can't understand why that movie was the way it was, considering the talent on-board.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

What didn’t you like?

Plot/Themes?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Its main crime was that the jokes were lame, ill-timed and predictable. Same goes for the characters and every single one of their motivations and actions. The plot was kind of interesting, with the murders and Ethan Suplee's movie and such, but not enough to stop me turning the movie off two-thirds of the way through. And themes? Was that Picasso thing a theme? That was kind of painful.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

In my local bookstore I saw a new edition of Ghost World. It has more stuff on Ghost World then you could ever want. Not only the original comic but also promotional art, several essays about ghost world and the script to the movie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.