The chogokin thread!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

The chogokin thread!

Post by Knightdramon »

Long story short; those of you who do not own a Bandai Soul of Chogokin figure yet, do so. You'll be surprised how a plastic transformers fan can succumb to the beauty and heft of die-cast when it does not hinder limbs, articulation, and does not chip like crazy.

I'm thinking of adding little reviews and making lists of all available and forthcoming chogokin toys [not only manufactured by bandai] in this thread.

Will be making short reviews for Daimos, God Mars and Ideon within the weekend, more to follow.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Daimos really does sound tasty. The only one that's left me slightly let down so far is Combattler, and that's simply because Voltes is soooo much better (but then there's something like six years between them). Diecast + modern engineering + excellent articulation + quality = incredible win. The main problem, I suspect, is that very few of them turn into lame sportscars...
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

I am in part. liking the new EVA's with armor that you can take off the being. I have been started loving them since I saw their Design compared to other Robots from 1995. (it should be noted that I am indeed a bit crazy...)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Had Eva 01 with removable armour but had to sell it, now I got 02 from a friend as a birthday gift. Really great articulation and stability. Plus the gun options are limitless!
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Who's the better one??? I can't chose between them because they both look really awesome. I am only scared that if I had one, I would lose a part of it...

I envy you...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Well they each have their up and downs. Eva 01 is undoubtedly more iconic and has a simper accessories set-up [riffle and handgun and knives if I remember correctly], EVA 02 has tons of guns, ranging from bazookas to riffles to vibration knives to lances to axes to a white positron gun. Only negative I found in '02 is that the openings on the head that reveal the full burst face are painted a different red than the rest of the figure.

Since they all use the same body and differ in accessories and head sculpts, I'd say get the one you like best. I wasn't going to wait any more for a release of a SPEC 03, but I will get one when it's made. Then there's the OVA versions...just pick the one you like the most, really :D
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

I believe I found it: SOC SPEC EVA UNIT-01 XS-01R, that R means extra accesoires to make him even better. I would really like an UNIT-3 SPEC edition but for now, I am just gonna love the one mentioned above, do the same with Unit-2 and I am gonna ignore UNIT-00 which looks daft in my opinion.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

R means renewal version, it's supposed to have some newly designed joints for more fluid movement and less strain. I don't suppose they're going for R versions of 02 or 00 any moment now, though. Seeing as they're separate serial releases in the line, and the SPEC line is almost half-dominated by Evas as it is, it would be waaaay overkill...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like Mazinger?
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

humorous intro to post:

Shooting Boobies. I luv it.

Reading this thread, I thought the EVA 01 thing looked familiar..........turns out I bastardized a few back in the day.........

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=40258

After looking at a few of these guys on cliffy's site, it reminds me of a show I used to watch called Grandizer or something.........man, I always hoped I could find it on DVD. There was others.........um, Guyking, danguard V, and this one guy who split into three different modules. Can't remember the name.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Five - semi-official Shogun Warriors tie-in.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Zeeks wrote:humorous intro to post:

Shooting Boobies. I luv it.

Reading this thread, I thought the EVA 01 thing looked familiar..........turns out I bastardized a few back in the day.........

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=40258

After looking at a few of these guys on cliffy's site, it reminds me of a show I used to watch called Grandizer or something.........man, I always hoped I could find it on DVD. There was others.........um, Guyking, danguard V, and this one guy who split into three different modules. Can't remember the name.
WOW! Never thought of those! Nicely done.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Death by tits... That's how I want to go out.

I'm tempted to buy something from the line, but everything I see from it is so damn expensive.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, you want a toy robot done properly, you have to pay the money. Ideon costs ~$200 because it's simply the best robot toy ever made. Transformers are cheap because, by and large, they're shit. The price of things like SoC means the designers don't have to compromise on materials, detail, proper arms, stuff like that. Voltes V is worth a look and probably won't cost much more than a Takara 'Masterpiece'.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I understand that, but it's getting the money that's the problem. Most of the ones I've seen look awesome.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

BBTS has a sale at the moment, some of the newer ones can be aquired for cheap. Got myself another SPEC Eva, and will get Jeeg later on.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Knightdramon wrote:BBTS has a sale at the moment, some of the newer ones can be aquired for cheap. Got myself another SPEC Eva, and will get Jeeg later on.
I heard JEEG has Problems with Stability and Poseability due to his Magnets.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Cliffjumper wrote:I dunno, you want a toy robot done properly, you have to pay the money. Ideon costs ~$200 because it's simply the best robot toy ever made. Transformers are cheap because, by and large, they're shit. The price of things like SoC means the designers don't have to compromise on materials, detail, proper arms, stuff like that. Voltes V is worth a look and probably won't cost much more than a Takara 'Masterpiece'.
I don't know man, I respect your opinion, but I'm really glad Transformers don't cost $200. I understand the concept of a superior collectible versus a child's toy, but I personally would never be able to afford such a collectible, ironically because I am a parent for the most part. And as a parent I come in contact with a pretty wide range of toys from lots of manufacturers, and honestly Transformer toys are not that shitty in comparison to most toys out there.

I am glad that Hasbro are able to keep the price down on their figures so that I can actually have a shot at owning them. Don't get me wrong, if I had nothing else to spend money on other than myself, I'd probably be more inclined to spend $100+ on a collectible. I still can't really say I would though in all honesty, there are always things that I need more than things I want, and the things I need tend to cost more.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm glad there are cheaper alternatives out there for people, don't get me wrong. I'm more referring to collector-orientated stuff like Masterpiece or Binaltech.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Well, apart from Grimlock and OP, I think that the other Masterpieces are pretty much Shitpieces compared to SOC's that cost the same. I am sorry to say it (no offense) but if I look at Megs, I see a flimsy,top-heavy guy. If I look at say a "normal" SOC EVA UNIT-01 I see a collectors item that's pretty flimsy too(due to those trillions of accesoires...) but also a figure that doesn't suffer from overweight due to a Scope with a Red LED that try's to be a cannon, which makes it at least poseable without too many problems. Am I right, or am I wrong????

On a really other piece of topic, I would like to see a SOC-SPEC Gurren-Lagann.