Well, I had a most profitable day!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Sevrian
Protoform

Well, I had a most profitable day!

Post by Sevrian »

I went over to my local comic/anime/toy store today, looking for interesting things to waste money on, and I found quite a bit of good TF stuff.

I picked up the first part of the Season 2 G1 cartoon on DVD, the RiD autobot three pack, a spy-changer ultra magnus, and a really friggin cool Dreamwave poster thing of Soundwave. Most amusing though, I found a KO Sixliner for only $5 Canadian! He may be made of horribly cheap plastic, have HORRIBLE sticker application, and a general low contruction quality that makes combining him ridiculously hard, but I think he's rocks, and I'm happy I picked him up! Oh yeah, he also came without instructions of any kind, so figuring out how to combine some parts was made more tricky.

I have to say though, he's bigger than I'd think a micromaster combiner would be... were the trains bigger than normal micromasters, or is it just that this KO is abnormally large?

All things considered, I'm quite happy with my first crappy knock-off... and that soundwave poster/litho/thing is incredibly cool.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I just love knockoffs.
Sevrian
Protoform

Post by Sevrian »

They are certainly cool.
I need more.
Garand

Re: Well, I had a most profitable day!

Post by Garand »

Originally posted by Sevrian
I picked up the first part of the Season 2 G1 cartoon on DVD,

during the Simon Furmon Interview.. there's a bearded guy wayyy in teh back over his left shoulder (viewer's right) buying something... that's me :D

Check out the bloopers reel... they point out a few mistakes and on some, explain how they happened.
Cliffjumper

Re: Well, I had a most profitable day!

Post by Cliffjumper »

Most amusing though, I found a KO Sixliner for only $5 Canadian! He may be made of horribly cheap plastic, have HORRIBLE sticker application, and a general low contruction quality that makes combining him ridiculously hard, but I think he's rocks, and I'm happy I picked him up! Oh yeah, he also came without instructions of any kind, so figuring out how to combine some parts was made more tricky.

I have to say though, he's bigger than I'd think a micromaster combiner would be... were the trains bigger than normal micromasters, or is it just that this KO is abnormally large?

I know for a fact there's an oversize [twice as big] Sixtrain [Sixliner repaint] out there, as I have the guy...
Box says "Ultra Train Aggregate", IIRC... There could well be a Sixliner one too... for your reference, Sixliner's individual parts are about the same size as any Micromaster [a tad short than a Minicon in robot mode], and the fullsize thing would normally be about the height of Soundwave, or an RiD Trainbot. Well done there!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

You know what. I had a profitable day today too!

I was feeling well pleased with myself, for getting a piece of coursework handed in. So I just went to town to 'buy something'. I was actually hoping to find the Warhammer: Dark Omen PC game on budget somewhere (not happening though).

Anyway, after browsing through some DVDs and CDs, I went to Toys R Us, in the slim hope that maybe Armada Smokescreen had reached our shores. No luck there, but amazingly, I found all four limbs for RID Ruination. I'd bought Mega Octane a while back, and all but given up on ever finding these guys. So I did a jump for joy in the middle of the shop, and bought all four.

So now I have my first ever complete gestalt. Woohoo!

Anyway. Ruination is very cool, and he looks quite awesome on display. Not very poseable, but not very surprising either. The individual robots aren't great either, but who cares when Ruination looks that cool? Oh and for the record, Ruination as a name sucks. Bruticus is way, way cooler.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

You know the little white train that makes up Sixliner's chest? Anyone know what he's called?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Spark, IIRC.
Sevrian
Protoform

Re: Re: Well, I had a most profitable day!

Post by Sevrian »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I know for a fact there's an oversize [twice as big] Sixtrain [Sixliner repaint] out there, as I have the guy...
Box says "Ultra Train Aggregate", IIRC... There could well be a Sixliner one too... for your reference, Sixliner's individual parts are about the same size as any Micromaster [a tad short than a Minicon in robot mode], and the fullsize thing would normally be about the height of Soundwave, or an RiD Trainbot. Well done there!

Yup, that's the one!
I rather like him. He even has good posablity in the arms, unlike most G1 esque gestaults. And yes, it is Ultra Train Aggregate. Although I keep wondering what is with those pictures on the front of the box... little half transformed train with weird wapons, that seem to have nothing to do with the actual toys...

Also, Sixswitch, I agree that Ruination is cool, although I actually like that name more than Bruticus. I bought him for my little brother for christmas (All five parts) a year or so back. So now of course I'm looking for a copy of him for myself. Odds are I'll never find one.
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: Re: Well, I had a most profitable day!

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, that's the one!
I rather like him. He even has good posablity in the arms, unlike most G1 esque gestaults. And yes, it is Ultra Train Aggregate. Although I keep wondering what is with those pictures on the front of the box... little half transformed train with weird wapons, that seem to have nothing to do with the actual toys...

Hehehe, I got mine when I was new on eBay... $5 to buy, $20 for shipping from Hong Kong! Yeh, those deformed robots are odd, aren't they? The "card" inside the box has the correct box-art though... always meant to try and scan that :)

It's not a bad k/o... comparing him to Sixliner, though, a lot of the detail is lost - though he looks surprisingly good in combined mode if you take off some of the stickers, add some repro Autobot logos and a few paint highlights :)
Sevrian
Protoform

Post by Sevrian »

Are there a lot of KO's like that?
really cheap, crappy quality?
If so, are they all imported or what?

If they tend to be around, I'll probably buy as many as I can find, since this one is so amusing, and at $5 too.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's about par for k/o quality I've found... the best one, that you'll be very lucky to find, is the double-size Bruticus, done in both the original and G2 colours... it's meant to be pretty decent quality [there's some confusion as it might even be licensed]. I think http://www.scrambledcity.com has pics.

The most common ones are [N.B. none,of these have diecast parts]:-

Devastator - original colours & Diaclone colours... I've got the original colours one and he displays well in Devastator mode... Normal size, so-so-quality. Big problems - poor moulding on the faces of the individual Constructicons, Bonecrusher's legs are on backwards [easily fixed with a screwdriver though :)], poor stickers [you could always get a repro set], a few small weapons omitted for the Constructicons. But like I say, displays well as Devastator.

Baldigus - K/O of Japanese version of Ruination [most notable different is a different colour for the gestalt pieces, and Armohide/Dangar]. Sir Auros' funky review with pics is on the site - http://tfarchive.com/genone/toybruticusrev.php

Guard City - K/O of a Japanese repaint of Defensor... though smaller Protectobots are still in his Defensor scheme. Big difference from Defensor is Hot Spot is red. Pretty poor quality - badly moulded smaller bots, loose, doesn't even display that well. Avoid unless it's dirt cheap. No small guns.

Raiden - K/O of a Japanese exclusive. Quite nice if you like trains - not as cool as Sixtrain, but the individual bots are a bit more varied and nice. A pretty good k/o, though Suiken [normally dark green] is bright green. No small guns. Review by me at my site - http://members.lycos.co.uk/tfdatabase/t ... index.html

Superion - I've not got one of these... probably about on the same level as Devastator.

Blitzwing, Broadside, Flattop base & 2/3 of Landcross - again, I've not got this one.

Abominus w. Technobots - Hun-Grr, Abominus, 2 Terrorcons + 2 Technobots. Can't remember which ones sorry :(

Menasor w. Technobots - Motormaster, 2 Stuncticons, the other 2 smaller Technobots not in the above. Again, I can't remember which...

You can find them quite easily on ebay, often for $10 or less :) There are lots more k/os out there, but those are the easiest ones to find that spring to mind.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Abominus w. Technobots - Hun-Grr, Abominus, 2 Terrorcons + 2 Technobots. Can't remember which ones sorry
I won an Auction for all K/O Terrorcons.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Sevrian
Protoform

Post by Sevrian »

Very very cool.
I also read here awhile ago that there's a KO Predaking going around in Mexico or somewhere, I think...

I plan to buy any more of these guys I find, just because they're hilarious. I don't know why I love them so much, but the sixtrain guy is great, and I've actually seen the Brutics one, but I foolishly didn't buy it.
I'v seen the light now though! KO's FOR ALL!

Also, you don't have to worry about them breaking, since they're so friggin cheap!
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Haha, most excellent dood.

:glance:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Very very cool.
I also read here awhile ago that there's a KO Predaking going around in Mexico or somewhere, I think...
Yeh, I've heard that too - though if it's any good, it could have a nasty makr-up on ebay - the ones I listed did tend to go for a fair bit until the place got flooded with them...