Quintesson Question.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
~*ShadowDancer*~

Quintesson Question.

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

Are Quints mechanical or bio-mechanical?

They have plant/octupus like tentacles but obviously robotic faces...anyone shed any light on this is bugged my for years.
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Bio-mechanical.

Cyber-organic (cyborgs).

Which lends itself to my theory of they themselves having been physically altered at some point in their history... but that was mainly covered in James Roberts' book "Eugenesis."

You're a UKer, aren't ya Xen? Have you read Eugen yet? If not then I heartily recommend it.
~*ShadowDancer*~

(Oh blimey, look at all the pretty spelling mistakes LOL)

Hmmm....I thought that might be the case.
Leads me onto more puzzling questions....ones that have little place here I feel.

I'm a Brummy/UK'er Bren. One with a rooted interest in the paranormal I.e alien interventionist theory of evolution.
What gave me away, the diction? *Grinz*

Where could I get a copy of said book, I doubt very much that my local library would have it to hand...Alan Allberg (Sp?) is another one I'm read on...'Chariots of the Gods' and all that jazz. That was very interesting/thought provoking...but I'm rambling. *Decides to shut up*

Thx a lot Bren...I'd always wondered. But now I need more info on who the Quints were/where they came from. Just for interests sake...time to do some research methinks.
~*SD*~

Links:

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nah, I think it was the recollection of Combat Colin that gave you away ;) Plus I think you may have mentioned it when ye first appeared here...

There isn't really much info about the background of the Quints. All that was mentioned in the cartoon was that they ruled Cybertron at one point, and their only comic outing was in Space Pirates, where their homeworld was destroyed. Asides from that, the only real indication of any previous existance was in the TF Universe profiles, which links them to Unicron.

I seriously doubt that a library would stock Eugenesis, being as it's a fanfic. Albeit a professionally written, published, novel-esque epic of a fanfic.
You can probably get hold of one from the author, mine cost me about £10 at Transforce last year... well worth it mind, big chunky softback book... the guy's email addy is james.roberts@zoom.co.uk
Well worth a read, it has a very interesting take on the origins of the Quintessons, and where they fit into the overall history...
~*ShadowDancer*~

Right, I see....well that definitely rules the library out then LOL!

I've heard the theory of the Quints having been created by Unicron in mockery/opposition of Primus & his creation of the Autobots...my personal opinion is that they were and were destined to be the nemesis of the Autobots/TF's in general but it all went horribly pearshaped for them.

*But* were they originally mechanical or biological?

Logic would dictate the latter I should think and the biological modification they received at whoever's hands embittered them to such an extent that they hold contempt for all lower forms of life. (As if they didn't already...)

Ok, I'm worrying myself now...debating with myself over the origins of the Quints...tell me to shut up LOL!
~*SD*~

Links:

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Shut up! ;)

Logic (my logic, that is... which has been known to vary from your "human" logic) dictates that the Quintessons are primarily organic, with cybernetic enhancements...

Unless of course they are mechanical with synthetic organic parts... much in the same vein as Pretender tech... (and to some extent the technology used in BW/BM for the application of beast/plant modes)
~*ShadowDancer*~

Hmmm....I don't know whether I'm just biased as a result of having watched TF but were Unicron & Primus originally biologically based or mechanically? Either way wouldn't they have based their creations upon their own appearance....*Wondering*
Or would they have created the strongest lifeform they were capable of to face off against each other, thus leading to the TF's being mechanical....that and the latent prescence of metals in the planetoids make-up that Primus eventually crafted into Cybertron.

(Hopefully there are no devout out and out Christians I've offended with the above statement. I don't want the 'Leave the Bible out of this' war starting after all ;) )
~*SD*~

Links:

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hmm. The issue of Primus and Unicron originally being animal, mineral or vegetable is something that never really occured to me before...
They definitely had some form of physical substance, else the transition to the energy dimension would have had no relevance...

Interesting... *goes away to ponder*
~*ShadowDancer*~

That's the cusp of it....from what I remember of Primus he looked to be robotic, either that or wearing robotic type armour which would account for his having created the TF's in the form he did.
~*SD*~

Links:

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Sheba
Protoform

heh...

Post by Sheba »

Quintessons remind me of the Ochu monsters found in Final Fantasy I, VII, VIII, & IX...

I'm not sure of their origin. I'll have to think about it.
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Jonin
Protoform

Post by Jonin »

Something that has always had me wondering in the past was how there came to be the two different factions...one "good" and one "evil".
Something must have happened in the beginning of it all, but what?
And why did they go with the names Autobot and Decepticon (aside from the obvious) and the symbols relating to the two kinds? Were they called something different before?
--------
=Jonin=
--------
Jonin's DeviantArt Page
--------
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Brendocon
They definitely had some form of physical substance, else the transition to the energy dimension would have had no relevance...
Wait, you've lost me. I thought their physical forms were energy, and they went to a mental dimension when Primus got desperate. Must go read Legacy again...
Originally posted by Jonin
Something that has always had me wondering in the past was how there came to be the two different factions...one "good" and one "evil". Something must have happened in the beginning of it all, but what?
And why did they go with the names Autobot and Decepticon (aside from the obvious) and the symbols relating to the two kinds? Were they called something different before?
Split: Wasn't it said somewhere (G2, ish 12?) that Liege Maximo was the first Decepticon? That'd explain the whole evil thing...
Names and sigils: I'd guess that it was predetermined, at least on the Autobots' end of things. Remember that The Last Autobot (whose face indeed was the familiar symbol) was built very early in Cybertron's history, by Primus himself.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Uhm.. I'll go re-read The Void and Legacy of Unicron later... I can't be bothered right now...

Basic gist of the good/ evil argument:

Evil is relative, we only see the Decepticons as "evil" because they go against our pre-set moral structure, mush as many people in the Middle-East regard America as evil, and many in the West regard Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden as evil.

All TFs started off as Autobots, but eventually the off-shoot "terrorist" group, known as the Decepticons began to grow in numbers... fanatics, strong beliefs, peace through tyranny... it's all there in the canon in one place or another... mostly present in the cartoon.

Liege Maximo is another thang entirely, completely comic derived.
Good and evil exist as a counterbalance, one cannot exist without the other, as the very definition of one is the opposite of the other (blah blah... light, dark yadda yadda).

At the moment the first "Prime" was named, (remembering that there is no evidence to suggest that Optimus was indeed the first...), he was annointed as the beacon of goodness in the image of Primus (all implied, flowered up by yours truly, dramatic license...).
Now, at that moment, in order for the light to be truly defined, a counteragent was created. The Liege Maximo was he. Now, I seriously doubt that he just appeared in a puff of logic, but was more a case of one of the other TFs present suddenly acquired the role of being Prime's opposite number.

Maximo was the first Decepticon, and as such I'd say was likely the one that first planted the seeds of dissention in the mind of ol' Megs.

If I made sense, I'd be surprised... :)
~*ShadowDancer*~

Strangely enough you did make sense and I'd be inclined to agree with you.

The status of Autobot all seemed to be derived from Ritual if you look through the comics and toon episodes, it's there in plenty...Jetfire's receiving the 'Autobrand', funery rites for Prime on the numerous times he bit it...Ratchet & Meg's ritual in comic Iss #7. The Autobots seemed to be a religiously orientated group, even down to having a 'holy' object Ie the Matrix and believing in the power/wisdom of their ancestors.

Perhaps the Decepticons were bored of their 'Sheep-ism' and decided to break out of the common stereotype and so were classified rebels/outcasts...any takers?
~*SD*~

Links:

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Sheba
Protoform

hmmm

Post by Sheba »

It was always MY opinion that the Quintessons (whether they created the TFs or not) "bred" the Decepticons to be agressive and predisposed to LIKING fighting...that may be the root of the Decepticon's "evil"...
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Brendocon
At the moment the first "Prime" was named, (remembering that there is no evidence to suggest that Optimus was indeed the first...)
Wasn't it in fact once stated that he was the fourth, and in so many words? (Prima, Prime Nova, Sentinel Prime...)
Originally posted by Xenith
The status of Autobot all seemed to be derived from Ritual if you look through the comics and toon episodes, it's there in plenty...Jetfire's receiving the 'Autobrand', funery rites for Prime on the numerous times he bit it...Ratchet & Meg's ritual in comic Iss #7.
You do know who invented all of those, don't you?
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Reflector
You do know who invented all of those, don't you?
Simon "The Man" Furman. Just like the invention of the references to Prima, et cetera, and the creation of the Liege Maximo.

In fact, just like almost all the actual interesting plot devices... oh for the days where we got full issues dedicated to Megatron's exploits as some goon's magic rifle...
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Speaking of Doctor Mega "Which Head Do You Like Best" Tron, he didn't do a whole lot of leadership in the comics, did he? Seemed like the comic boys felt him better fitting a universal antagonist role than commander of the ultimate evil army, in general...