Computer Troubles

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Computer Troubles

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

As some of you may remember, a while ago I had a problem with this graphical glitch. I was going to get a replacement card from alienware, but I decided not to when I realized it was a driver problem (if I uninstalled the drivers, the glitch went away. Unfortunatly, I did not want to keep the drivers uninstalled, since then graphic stuff was really slow).

Unfortunatly, I am unable to update the drivers (whenever I install new drivers, windows boots to a blank black screen, every time, until I select "use last known good configuration" at the safe mode screen).

My computer has two partitians - the one with windows, and some files, and the one with most files, and all my programs. I don't know what would happen if I reformatted *just* the drive with windows, and reinstalled windows, however. So, to anyone who has had experience with this - would I run into any problems, if I just reformatted my C:/ drive? I know my programs would lose their registry keys, but for most, I wouldn't think that would keep them from working - would it?

Bah. My computer sucks.

[Edit: The graphical glitch I was reffering to was here . I determined that it wasn't a cooling problem, by the way.]
He's alive. Go figure.
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

What Brand of graphice Card do you have?

I know with my ATi card i was not able to run Halo or many DX games with the Latest Drivers.. but i DL some earlier Drivers from the same page.

Could always try to install a middle set of drivers and see if it works.. Not the oldest but not teh newest...
Claypool
Protoform

Post by Claypool »

you try that "windows restore" feature?
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

the windows restore feature would reinstall the driver he took out
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Be careful, as you may have more stuff (eg, email, settings files) on the primary partition than you think. Be careful and thorough backing everything up.

Other than that, yeah, it's exactly what I do. 3Gb partition for Win2K and apps, everything else for storage. It's easy to image the OS on and off, though I haven't needed to do it for so long I'll probably do a clean reinstall next time...
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Yeah, the windows partition is only around 5 gigs, so I am going to back up the whole "documents and settings" folder to a CD (which contains most file and stuff). Also going to export email, and all that.

The main problem is that most of my applications are actually installed on the other partitian, the D drive, and I don't know how much reinstalling windows will mess them up.

My graphics card is a 9700 pro, by the way. Maybe I will try some newer drivers. Stressfull, though, when your computer can't boot properly and you are unsure if you will be able to boot it into safe mode...

I tried a third party driver (Omegadrivers), it had the same problem - when it restarted to perform the compatability tests, it froze up.
He's alive. Go figure.
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

I have learned the Hard way thats its not smart to use third party video drivers... Simce it is an ATi Product i would try installing the newest catalyst and see if it works. if that dont work send a email to ATi. they usally try to work things like that out..
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Originally posted by ThePeacemkr2

The main problem is that most of my applications are actually installed on the other partitian, the D drive, and I don't know how much reinstalling windows will mess them up.

probebly several to none will work since,once formatted the registry is lost
however,id save the projects and try to find the installetion files and cds and format anyway.it will clean lots of crap out of your system and refresh your whole computer.thus giving you 90-95% gurentee for better preformence(and will get rid of some slowdowns you got used to.)
btw,if you use win xp,its reccomanded that you keep at least 6.5gb free space.if you have winxp,convert your hd(botyh partitions) to ntfs and add your c:\ some mb until you reach the 10-12 gb.thats winxp greatest fault,but if you try this i promise you that will make your computer faster(tested officialy and unofficialy btw)
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Originally posted by Gesani
I have learned the Hard way thats its not smart to use third party video drivers... Simce it is an ATi Product i would try installing the newest catalyst and see if it works. if that dont work send a email to ATi. they usally try to work things like that out..

Well, I did try their drivers first, and had the exact same problem.

I had this problem 2 driver versions back, too (when I tried upgrading the drivers about 7 months ago).
He's alive. Go figure.
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

hmmm.. since this is an alienware PC have you tried thier support pages? One of thier driver might be interferring with the ATi Drivers.. and if all else fails find the driver disk that came with the Video Card and ise them.. or you can reformat..