World Cup talkback

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

World Cup talkback

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

WHAT THE **** WAS THAT MEXICAN REF UP TO!? I swear he may as well have been wearing a Paraguay t-shirt.

Also, that Germany match was crazy, is it possible we have two contenders for goal of the tournament already?

Looking fwd to the Argentina match tonight.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I was getting pissed off with that Mexican referee, he was severly biased against us, the yellow card for Gerrard is one example, gave yellow card for Gerrards tackle, but not a free kick?! And it was a v v good tackle aswell.

We played ok in the first half, dunno what in gods name Sven was thinking, he should have taken Crouch off if anyone. TBH if we hadnt been handed that goal I think we woulda drawn.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The ref was as dodgy as ****. But then, let's be honest, so were England. The second half we really might have well have lined up ten men on the goal-line really. If we play like that against Sweden, we're fuXX0red, let alone in the knock-out stages. Hell, Paraguay were a bit unlucky not to get a point. Far, far too deep, and if that didn't illustrate how utterly ****ed the striker situation is, I dunno what will. I honestly agree that Sven seems to have realised Walcott's just not ready for this at all, and just won't admit it. I just felt so sorry for Peter Crouch being played in a way which just doesn't suit him at all, and looking like a total dick in the process. On the plus side, Gerrard and Lampard seem to have sorted it the **** out. Aside from that, same old same old.

That said, that's three points. T&T, judging by the Sweden game after 40 minutes, is three points (yeh, they're holding them at the moment, but sooner or later the Swedes are going to stop being unlucky and clobber them). Strictly speaking, anything from the Sweden game would then be a bonus, as with Rooney back England are a match for anyone in Group A.

Group A... I like Germany. They're going to be tremendous fun to watch, proper Kevin Keegan football. Defence be damned. They'll be slaughtered against the first team they play with any defenders.

Ecuador were... alright. Good on the break, and a solid pair of centre-halves, but they more strangled the game, and Poland seemed shell-shocked.

Disappointed with the Poles, TBH, but solid organisation could undo the Germans, and if they beat Costa Rica, that one's wide open.

EDIT: Also, big thumbs up for Budweiser's superb commercial bumpers on ITV... hilarious! Even better than Team Manchester/The Ports Mouth Pirates! Shame about the beer, really...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

So, we play Ok in the first half, in the second half we play crap with 1 up front. It's world cup 2002 all over again.....
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper

EDIT: Also, big thumbs up for Budweiser's superb commercial bumpers on ITV... hilarious! Even better than Team Manchester/The Ports Mouth Pirates! Shame about the beer, really...

I agree. The self deprevating "You do the football, we do the beer" from a month or two back would have been genius had it not been utter pi## water they were selling.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
T&T, judging by the Sweden game after 40 minutes, is three points (yeh, they're holding them at the moment, but sooner or later the Swedes are going to stop being unlucky and clobber them).

Did I say that? :o Though seriously, T&T rode their luck for the last 90 minutes or so. The chap who just kicked anything yellow was funny, though. I was surprised he lasted 46 minutes.

That said, they'll be well up for the England game. Can you see that lot who clogged around in the second half of the Paraguay game coping with being kicked and ran at by some mad blokes from the Carribean?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

One last thing. What is it about goal keepers and tracksuit bottoms all of a sudden?

I thought it was a eastern european thing (Hungary and poland) but the Ivory Coast have it too.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1

I thought it was a eastern european thing (Hungary and poland) but the Ivory Coast have it too.

Cold in Europe? I dunno, maybe it gives you special powers to pull the ball back from a yard over the line and get away with it.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I still cant believe Defoe went home!

Thing is, that formation we played with Joe Cole being an assisting striker would work... If it wasnt Crouch up front, I think both Rooney and Owen (who have skill, stability and pace) would really do well when it comes to that kind of strategy
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Been visiting relatives so didn't have possibility to properly watch Saturday's matches.

SO far disappointed by Poland and Germany. Germany may be in serious trouble against Ecuador and Poland if their defence is as shaky in the first match. Ecuador was a pleasant surprise.

Judging by what I saw of England-Paraguay and reading comment here, I didn't miss much?

I saw Sweden-Finland (both missing several key players) few weeks ago. Result 0-0, not very promising match for either of teams (Finland has a new coach and they are experimenting different options for upcoming Euro qualifications). Then I thought that Sweden was mostly experimenting their defense and when their top forwards (Larson, Ibrahimovitch) who rested after a long season would be on the pitch it'd make a big difference. That didn't seem to be case. If the strikers can't improve a lot, it's quite possible that Sweden won't advance from their group. Biggest disappointment so far.

Programmed my VHS to record from wrong channel and missed Argentina-Ivory Coast. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Shame, it was the best game so far :(

Sweden paid the price for not putting chances away... Ibrahimovic is particular showboated a bit early on, and once it got to about 60mins, you could see T&T thinking "We can actually do this!" and finding a bit more determination.

With the England game, there was nothing really worth watching, especially as the goal was a pretty poor own goal... The referee didn't really let anything flow (he was quite funny early on, going mental whenever anyone tried to get a drink, and both teams were knackered and pissed off... best thing in the second half was the substitute Paraguay forward.

Once Owen went off, I just couldn't see England scoring under any realistic circumstances... Crouch isn't the sort of player who can even run at defenders and earn a dangerous free kick/penalty when playing by himself up front. Still, it does sound like we'll have Rooney sooner or later, and that should lift everyone's confidence a bit... though the pressure on Rooney is going to be phenominal, and we've seen he's got his temper.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Oh dear oh dear....

Jus read Theo Walcott has been injured in training, hes looks to have his leg in a cast...

Jus saw it on either BBC News or Sky News channel, but I cant find anything about it on the net.
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

Italy V Ghana. A good performance from Italy, but they need new youthful players. Both teams dived though. Ghana also kept kicking the ball over the line. Italy got a good few throw in-s because of that.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Czech-USA. Czech was really convincing, even if (judging by this match) USA wasn't that hard an opponent. Clearly the best team I've seen play so far. Pity that Koller got injured, but his replacement Lokvenc is also a good player. Looking forward to Ghana-Czech match. :)
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Tomas Rosicky was a legend. I can't believe we stole him for 7 million. It must have doubled straight away after the USA -Czech game.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
Tomas Rosicky was a legend. I can't believe we stole him for 7 million. It must have doubled straight away after the USA -Czech game.

Just a shame he looks like a ****ing hobbit
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Halftime France v Switzerland...sigh...this not the France of yesteryear and I don't buy the "Its too hot bull****"

And for Christ sake who thought Mick "Ruined Ireland and has a personality of a fish and furthermore an inaudible, God-awful voice” McCarthy would make a good co-commentator!
-Alex???
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

They havent inspired, and it wouldnt surprise me if Henry fails to deliver.
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

That was a major disappointment.

Sort it out, France!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Saw most of the Brazil v Croatia match, was very impressed with Croatias tenacity but they jus couldnt deliver, which is a shame, because I think they deserved the win from how they were playing.