Review: Movie Masters Joker

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Kenori

Review: Movie Masters Joker

Post by Kenori »

I saw when this figure came out that no one was really reviewing it, so I got mine yesterday and did a review on a website I frequent, here ya go:

So I just got me two Dark Knight Movie Master Joker figures. You know, the ones so highly prized and sought after. Well, with having one for display, I decided to do a little bit of a review on it. Is it worth all of the hype it has been given? Well let's find out!

The package itself looks pretty much like you've seen it. Not really anything special there. Opening the package is just as easy as it should be. Definantly a lot easier than some of the other toys I've gotten (Wolf Morpher, Movie Leader Optimus Prime, I'm looking at you!).

Once the package is open, its only a matter of sliding his hands out of the two rubber band ties that keeps him in place, and viola! You have your Joker figure.

This figure comes in what I'm sure will be the Joker's standard attire from here on out. He just looks tall and imposing in his purple overcoat. The paint job on the outside is superb. His hair is mainly green with a bit of blonde showing through here and there, its not a perfect dye job, but it's not supposed to be. The face, of course, is a pasty white, with dark grey paint under the eyes, and the mouth is painted a blood red in his trademark evil grin. For a bit of realism, the white paint on his ear is much lighter, showing a little bit of the skin colored plastic underneath. There is also some paint wear on the forehead for added effect. As well as what appears to be green paint from his dye job. I don't know if that was meant to be done, but it does look cool.

The overcoat, as stated before, is a dark purple, with shots of brown on the bottom, the lapel, and a little bit on the sleeves, to give it that grungy, unwashed look. His paints are the same purple as the overcoat, with thing grey pinstripes. The sir-coat is a darker green than the hair, and underneath that, you can just see the top of his purple shirt and green tie. The shirt appears to have some sort of pattern on it, though with my bad eyes it's really hard to tell what. The tie itself is striped horizontally with gold. His gloves appear to be made with the same color as his coat, but are completely coated in that darker brown color, making them look exceptionally dirty. He also has a silver chain hanging down on his right side, and his shoes are a light tan/darker grey combination, with black shoe laces. While I would have preferred purple or even better, green shoes, this joker is steered more toward realism, and I have no problem with that. There is alos some bronze on the cufflinks on his right sleeve, though interestingly he does not have any cufflinks on his left.

Honestly, the Joker's face doesn't look very menacing. The Joker in the movie, even when he looks bored, looks like he would rip your throat out as look at you. Not so with this figure. He doesnt really have much of an expression on his face. He just looks blank, though I will give them credit on the eyes. They seem to follow you regardless of how his head is pointed. The figure itself is slightly hunched over, just like he appears a lot in the film. Though it does give a movie accurate look, it is kind of hard to make him look up. The head doesnt really move up and down very well, though left and right is just fine.

Now, upon closer inspection, one thing that becomes painfully obvious is that his neck is HUGE! Like, twice as big as his arms. While it can't really be seen too much with looking at him from a distance, its hard to miss up close. The inside of the overcoat also is painted about halfway up in bronze. The rest is a light purple.

As far as poseablity goes, its sort of a plus and minus. The legs have five points of articulation in them: two at the hip, one right above the knee, one AT the knee, and one at the ankle. All of them are just tight tight enough and provide a range of movements. The arms, however, were not so lucky. Each arm only has three points of articulation: A ball at the shoulder, a hinge at the elbow, and a spin joint at the wrist. Though it provides a good bit of poseability, its nothing as good as the legs. Though on a positive just about any posing you do is sure to look imposing, due to the Jokers overall appearance.

The Joker comes with one accessory (not counting the Joker card. More on that later): A small knife that fits in his left hand. It comes packaged in the hand with a rubber band around it too keep it in place. Honestly, if you are afraid of losing the knife, I would just leave it in the hand with the rubber band around it. It looks cool, is very secure, and the rubber band is semi-transparent so it doesn't do much to break the belief.

So, what do we have here. I definantly will agree that it is not a playing toy. It is definantly for posing with the rest of the Movie Masters line on your shelf. The poseability is decent, the paint job is very well done, and the overall demeaner is quite menacing, if his face does look a little bland close up. All in all, if you can find two, buy two. It's definantly worthy of a place on your shelf, but I wouldn't take it down much to play with it.

8/10

BONUS: The Joker figure, like every other figure in this line, comes with a piece of evidence. While batman, the thug, and the others have scaled down stuff for their evidence, the Joker's is a full sized joker playing card. It fits neatly in the evidence baggy that comes with the figure. Though I don't know if it is movie accurate or not, it definantly looks like a real playing card. I thought about sneaking it into my grandma's deck of playing cards to see if she would notice it . Anyway, the evidence bag itself looks more or less realistic, though I've never actually seen a real one before. It, of course, has EVIDENCE written across the sticker, with Gotham PD above that, and sealed by and date boxes below it. Also, and another little neat addition, is a WARNING! label on the side with the words: "Object of evidence is only to be opened by authorized individuals." Printed in small type. Though it would be retarded by itself, coming package with the joker figure is just awesome.

Images: http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGa ... _alley.jpg

http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/ee/30/8f96_1.JPG