It's now Sir Terry...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

It's now Sir Terry...

Post by Jetfire »

I'm quite chuffed Terry Prachett has been hounoured. Nice to see him get some good news :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7804822.stm

Otherwise the expected sporting awards for Olympians but sadly not for Shane Williams who broke the all time Try scoring record in Wales, won the 6 Nations and became the IRB World Rugby player of the year. Also where is Nicole Cooke who acomplished a first in her Olympic and World cycling double win. Only woman to have ever done it in history. Bit hard on the Welsh.

I'd say it's all just proof that the gongs are media managing by the government but my mum won one last year so :D
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Now, I like Terry Pratchett, don't get me wrong. Yes, even after reading Monsterous Regiment, even after reading two pages of Harriet Potter and the Hatful of Secrets. but why exactly now? Because he's got a disease?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I had those thoughts too. To be fair he is a highly regarded author. I seem to recall he had a number of books in the top 100 when they did that massive poll so pblically he's popular. As far as personality in entertainment/media goes he's as deserving as anybody in his field is even if there was consideration for his health problems recently.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Conventions will be fun hereafterthis. He's bound to demand to be called 'Sir' from this point on... :D

Good show, that man. But why did it take so long to give him the honour so justifably deserved for lunacy er... literature. He has been accused of literature before, you know. just never so officially.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Jetfire wrote:I had those thoughts too. To be fair he is a highly regarded author. I seem to recall he had a number of books in the top 100 when they did that massive poll so pblically he's popular.
But he has been for about a decade now is the problem... Then coincidentally in the year his brain starts running out of his ears suddenly, bam, knighthood.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

That's my point. It's possible he was in consideration for a while, or would have been considered in the future but the attention he's got suddeny made the powers that

It's hard because you need to be nominated first. My mum still doesn't know who nominated her except it's somebody in local politics who got good reviews of her or maybe soemone who worked with her. Though I imagine people in Westminister have more nominations.

It's the same process for the famous, Pratchett needs somebody with a nomination who oversees the area where he lives to nominate him. In previous years the person might have though some doctor, charity worker, bus conductor, teacher etc may have been more worthy at the time or more in the minds of the nominator.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Is there any real rhyme or reason to how they give these things out anyway? At least he's somewhat deserving even if it is a case of "Better give him one now before he pops it". Perhaps some sort of terminal illness is what Brucie needs?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Some 'achievement' or 'service' for Britain. Hence Business men can earn one of employing british people or bringing/making jobs for the UK.

Sports/entertainment types are basically serving the people in their thousands/millions so somebody can nominate somebody on that basis. Generally charity wok is reuired to support this so Prathett is likely to have been named on the basis of his recent charity work as well as his writing career.
Computron

Post by Computron »

Jetfire wrote:Otherwise the expected sporting awards for Olympians but sadly not for Shane Williams who broke the all time Try scoring record in Wales, won the 6 Nations and became the IRB World Rugby player of the year. Also where is Nicole Cooke who acomplished a first in her Olympic and World cycling double win. Only woman to have ever done it in history. Bit hard on the Welsh.
To be honest I'd rather Shane didn't win it yet, In my opinion I'd rather he finished out his playing career and then get the award at the end, sort of a congratulations on a fine career spanning multiple years than well done on being flavour of the month

I do feel when sports stars win it they should generally win it at the end of their career when their true contribution to sport can be noted.
I support a ban on powerposting
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Jetfire wrote:Generally charity wok is reuired to support this so Prathett is likely to have been named on the basis of his recent charity work as well as his writing career.
That's probably the official reason, but it ignores the fact he's done a huge amount of charity work for decades, mostly with the Orang-Utang Foundation.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

inflatable dalek wrote:That's probably the official reason, but it ignores the fact he's done a huge amount of charity work for decades, mostly with the Orang-Utang Foundation.
Indeed. As Professor Worblehat would say: ook!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]