Is anyone here Diabetic?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

Is anyone here Diabetic?

Post by Ackula »

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. Let me explain whats happened.....

After a very long bout with pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses, lasting from Xmas eve till New Years Eve, I finally had to go to the hospital for an unknown malady that was causing me to go blind and my body to just shut down more or less. Turns out my blood sugar was over 400, they gave me insulin and IV therapy, got it down to 276 and sent me home with Actos pills.

All weekend I ate what I perceive to be a diabetic diet, culled from various websites, and took the actos each morning. I went to my doctor today as follow up, and felt sure my blood sugar was down to a normal rate now as my vision is finally getting a little better, it was 345. They injected me with insulin and sent me home with metformin pills as well as pills for high blood pressure, as it appears I have that too.

I have to go back tomorrow for blood work and some tests, and have been instructed to check my own blood sugar for a week and follow up next monday. After purchasing a new glucometer tonight, I did my first self test and came up 316, this was right after eating supper.

I have no idea how fast my blood sugar should come down, or what. I'm just really overwhelmed with all of this, including what the hell to eat...? If there are any other diabetics here that could just like, give me some advice, tips, stories...something?

Thanks guys ;)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'm not sure they type them anymore, but do you know if you're type 1 or type 2? The difference being, type 1 diabetics have no pancreatic function, while type 2 diabetics can be controlled with diet and meds.

Best thing to ask, first and foremost, is this: Have they had you on any kind of heavy steroids for what you've been going through?

Myself, I'm technically a type 2, despite the fact that I seem to have become one not because my body isn't processing sugar right, but because of the steroids that were in the chemotherapy drugs they used on me. I'm not on chemo anymore, so logically I shouldn't have to worry about my blood sugar being out of whack anymore.

Try telling my doctor that.

Given the fact that they don't seem to have put you on injectable insulin(and they've got me on metformin to control mine), I'd guess a type 2. I'm surprised they haven't set you up with a dietician.

For diet, right now I'd advise staying away from anything with sugar, and watch your carb intake. As for how long after supper.... I'm not sure. One thing that might work better is what my mom, who was a type 1 diabetic, would do, namely, check your sugar before you eat. That will give you a chance to figure out what you need, intake-wise.

Hope this helped some.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Well, the doctor I went to today told me he could not officially say I'm diabetic, or what type, until the blood work gets done in the morning. I have to fast, meaning no food after midnight tonight, and go in first thing in the morning. He said he was 99% sure I was however. He also said that after the blood work came back, he would set me up with a dietician next Monday when I have to go back. I've been instructed to check my blood sugar twice a day and record the results for the rest of the week, and bring that in next Monday as well. I was instructed to do so once in the morning, before eating, and once at night before eating.

They did in fact have me on steroids for the respiratory problems, but for a short time, only 5 days. I took prednasone and used a Qvar inhaler. After the ER incident and the revelation my blood sugar was so dangerously high, they told me to stop using the Qvar inhaler, and to rely only on my albuterol one if I have an attack. I had already finished the 5 day prednasone treatment 3 days prior to the ER visit.

I'd like to think that this was all brought on by steroids, and that I won't have to worry about it forever, but I doubt that is the case. My Great grandmother, grandfather, and father all have/had diabetes. I have been experiencing the symptoms (vision slowly declining, insatiable thirst, frequent urination) for a while, I just didn't realize it was symptoms.

Thanks for responding though, I kinda just want someone I can talk to about this sort of stuff, because the only other person I have is my father, and he seems to be really old school about it and not really very informative. He already has a strict diet and exercise routine due to heart disease, so the diabetic thing sorta manages itself for him really.
Sades

Post by Sades »

As mentioned- Don't know too much about it, a few of my family members have the same affliction but I don't know anything about how they manage it. Sending good vibes though, man. :up:
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If you were in PA, I'd advise that you go to Hershey. The medical center was probably what saved mom's life. Although given the number of years ago that was, hopefully the doctors everywhere are a bit more up to date on treating diabetics. That being said, the doctor she had when we got to Vermont wasn't very knowledgable. She knew more about how to treat herself, really, than the doctor did, thanks to what they taught her at Hershey. Of course, mom was also what they call a "brittle" diabetic, meaning it was harder to control properly.

From what you said, you might be a type 1. It'll depend on how long the symptoms have been manifesting themselves. Mom discovered she was diabetic when, the summer before I was born, she stopped sweating. She'd drink a lot, go to the bathroom a lot, but she just wouldn't sweat.

My symptoms? I was in the hospital bed when a nurse came in, did a finger stick, left, then came back a few minutes later and stuck a syringe in my arm. And I hadn't been on the steroid heavy stuff more than a couple of days.

Hopefully, your doctors will come to the conclusion that it's a side effect of all the meds you got put on. But take my advice: Don't get a blood clot. Most of what's good for you to eat as a diabetic will interfere with the meds they put you on for blood clots. Heck, blood clots mess with what you can eat period. I never thought I'd miss having a salad...... or broccoli...... carrots I don't miss so much, because I'm allergic to them.

And having somebody to talk to helps with these situations. :D
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642