Generation 2

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Mooseakolopsatron
Protoform

Generation 2

Post by Mooseakolopsatron »

I grew up watching G1 reruns and G2 and I'm re-hooked on G1 again. I have a question though: HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE HOLY DOES G2 COME IN TO PLAY??? I've searched everywhere for any info. on G2 I can find and have so far found NOTHING. I've gotten a couple episodes off of Kazaa but that didn't help. I just can't understand how G2 fits in to the TF universe what with certain characters being different *coughMegatroncough* and it taking place in what appears to be roughly the same time zone as G1. The only theory that I can think up is that G2 was a sort of remake of G1 for the generation that came 5 years too late for the release of G1 (ie, my generation) which kind of modernized the franchise. But like I said that's a random theory I've created to keep myself content until the truth is revealed.

Someone please help me! It drives me insane each time I watch a G1 episode and remember the G2s.
ESKiM0J03
Protoform

Post by ESKiM0J03 »

the g2 eps are the same as the g1 eps but they have the cybernetic space cude thing which sux haha....if thats not what your talkin bout then my bad :D
BET YOU DiDNT KNOW i WAS A NiNjA!!!
Mooseakolopsatron
Protoform

i really have no idea what u're talking about. g2 had several new versions of the old g1s such as ironhide who was a truck, soundwave who was a car, and most notably megatron who became a tank.
ESKiM0J03
Protoform

Post by ESKiM0J03 »

ooo thats g2 of the toys
BET YOU DiDNT KNOW i WAS A NiNjA!!!
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

G2 usually means G2 the COMIC. Several years(I think) after the original TF Comic ran out, Marvel brought up Transformers Generation 2.
New designs, new attitude, new enemies.
It´s placed a few years after the end of G1.

Several TFs underwent a complete redesign, like Megatron, who traded some junk from the Ark for a new, more powerful, body.

As for the cartoon: like ESKiM0J03 said, there is no G2 cartoon - its just G1 with a stupid scene-change indicator called the "Space cube".
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Right, history lesson time.

G1 toys and G1 cartoon, no problem there. There was even a very successful G1 comic by Marvel (80 US issues and like 900 UK)

But as all things, G1 faded in the US. A couple of years down the road, they tried Generation 2. Updated versions of the original characters, though sometimes with bizare colour schemes (Blue Grimlock). The first wave of these was just repaints and slight redos of the Old G1 stuff (except for Megatron, Guns weren't cool anymore). After that they experimented with new molds, giving birth to things like "Laser Rods" "Go-bots" "Cyberjets" and the like. This line gave us some great figures (Laser Optimus Prime, Hero Prime and Megs, ATB Megatron and Starscream, also known as Dreadwing and smokescreen) and some not so good figures (the Go-bots - damn spy changers). Anyway, to bolster sales of this line Hasbro got marvel to do a short lived US comic (12 issues or 1 year) which centered on a unified race of Cybertronians trying to take over the universe and calling Optimus and Megs war criminals (sounds an aweful lot like Dreamwave's G1 V2 doesn't it? ;) ). It also made it over to the other side of the pond but lasted a whopping 5 issues (or less I could be wrong there).
Hasbro also redid the G1 cartoon with new CGI inbetweens and called it G2. G2 did make it to Japan (who had been without transformers for only a short time, as they got Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory and 1 ep of Zone, plus a bunch of comics). But saw a much more limited release of the Toys (16 in total I think). That's about it.

For more information or you just want to look at the toys see:

Cliffjumpers site. There's some good stuff here

And
TFU - there you get to look at all the pretty toys

Hope that helped a little.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Hey cool, never saw that one before, thanks Osku!
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
...There was even a very successful G1 comic by Marvel (80 US issues and like 900 UK)...

I just want to note - the UK comics were about half the size of the US comics, and appeared weekly(I think). Thus Marvel UK drew alot of stories of their own.
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

And there were only 332 of them.
Jhiaxus
Protoform

Post by Jhiaxus »

There was also the G.I.Joe and G2 crossover comics that came before the 12 issue G2 US run. Look at G.I.Joe issues 138-142 for that story.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Ozz
And there were only 332 of them.

;)

Yeah I know, it's just when you deal with the UK stuff, There's just so much of it (and I didn't remember the exact number)
I didn't know the UK came out weekly, that's cool!

And I forgot about the GI Joe cross over, which is bad, because that's where megs gets his new tank form.
Mooseakolopsatron
Protoform

Well that's definately helped, but I still remember seeing megatron in tank mode IN a cartoon. I'm positive. That or I'm just dumb. Also, I remember a sweet new intro where near the end of the song it showed Devesator (I think) and an Autobot combiner fighting on a bridge, or just Devestator, not sure, and then the bridge gives out and he/they fall(s) into the river below, all in CG and it was amazingly cool (back then anyway). Another thing, how the hell do they explain so many Transformers changing shortly after G1, then going back to G1 forms before the movie? I have a feeling that they didn't think about that before they did it and that kind of angers me as I don't like it when companies don't keep the stories behind their products coherent.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Big Green Tank Megatron was in several commercials, which might explain...
I don't like it when companies don't keep the stories behind their products coherent.
I think you may have picked the wrong franchise, then... ;)

Seriously, 'G1' isn't internally consistent within its (multiple) continuities.
Mooseakolopsatron
Protoform

Ya I just thought of that myself. That could be it.

But still I'm so sure I remember seing him as a tank in cartoon form that it's destroying my mind. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! *puts underwear on head and runs around screaming obscenities...only to realize he's not even wearing underwear!!!! The world implodes*
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

He becomes a tank in the Armada series. As far as the TFs changing forms before the movie, think of this as taking place in the comic continuity, where all the time traveling trouble that Galvatron caused made it impossible for the movie to happen.
Mooseakolopsatron
Protoform

Never mention Armada here again.

As far as the whole time travelling thing, I'm only halfway through season 2 atm as I just bought it and haven't seen any season 3 episodes save for a few in MANY years, so I don't know what you're talking about with this whole time travelling thing. But I'm sure I'll find out soon enough ;)
Hound

Post by Hound »

He's talking about the Marvel Transformers comics. There was plenty of time traveling in those comics. You should try reading a few of them, they tend to be a bit better than the cartoon, at least in my opinion...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Mooseakolopsatron
But I'm sure I'll find out soon enough ;)

Not unless you start to read the comics, I'm afraid. There would be no mention of it in the cartoon. The comic and the cartoon were seperate stories, if you didn't know. :)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Mooseakolopsatron
Never mention Armada here again.

Why not? It ends up being worlds better than the original cartoon. You just have to get past the first 10-12 episodes.