Unicron Appearances in Comics?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nikkolas
Protoform

Unicron Appearances in Comics?

Post by Nikkolas »

So, I know Unicron has appeared in a lot of comics and I was wondering if anyone can list these specific issues he appears in? I usually can find these lists and whatnot on the web for characters but I haven't been able to find one for Unicron. I'm looking for any comic appearance, his original Marvel stuff, Dreamwave stuff, anything.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

From the top of my head (had to double check our comic section for confirmation), aside from his first appearance in the original '86 TF:TM based comic (which is set in the cartoon continuity), I believe Unicron made his debut(s) in Marvel US #61 during a flashback AND in Marvel UK #84 (Target: 2006).

As far as Dreamwave is concerned, I thought his first appearance was in Generation 1: Volume 3 #0. I could be wrong on that one.

Other than that, check out the comic page here. You'll find all the listings you need. Can't do all the work for you, you know ;)

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

DW G1 V2 #5, IIRC.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Yep. Unicron does indeed appear in Vol 2 Issue 5.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And issue #0 of the ongoing where he has a shockingly original and never before seen adventure.
Nikkolas
Protoform

Post by Nikkolas »

Thanks all.

Speaking of "cartoon continuity" - isn't it supposed to be the same Unicron everywhere?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"Supposed to be" and "is" aren't necessarily the same thing.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Nikkolas wrote:Thanks all.

Speaking of "cartoon continuity" - isn't it supposed to be the same Unicron everywhere?
According to canon, yes, he is the same Unicron everyewhere. He has the ability to travel from reality to reality whereas Primus exists in every reality at once. Not all fans accept this but that is what canon says.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Nikkolas wrote:Speaking of "cartoon continuity" - isn't it supposed to be the same Unicron everywhere?
If you can make it fit with everything shown in the original cartoon and the original comics, you'd be doing better than Hasbro's marketing droids.

Some comics companies have a policy of newer material 'overwriting' previous events. TF fans for the most part don't give a toss, read/watch the bits they like, and rag on the handful of anal individuals in the fandom who try to fix all of the material together with mental rewrites.

Like Tramp, for instance.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

In a way, Unicron and Primus could be considered just the symbolism of Good and Evil. Doesn't necessarily mean they are the same in each continuity, but the basic idea is there.

EDIT: Damn, how long have I had this avi and sig? I think I need to change them...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Yeah, a lot of people ignore the whole "One Unicron" thing, since it doesn't work. It's like no-one that I know of (Aside from a few people who think the Ultimate Guide is gospel, rather the 'good read, but not really an ultimate guide' it is.) treats the stupid "One primus everywhere" thing as fact, simply because you can't retcon it sensibly. I mean, the only time in actual fiction that Unicron's depicted as a universe hopper is the Armada comics, and even then, he dies, much like how G1 Comic Unicron died, G1 Cartoon Unicron was left as a head with half a face, etc.

Also, it appears Furman's even overwritten his own "Facts" from the Ultimate Guide, since Primus and Unicron won't be appearing in the G1 IDW-Verse according to him. Hell, Furman even says that the Ultimate Guide is bunk, and he wrote it. So, really, how factual can you consider something that even the Original Writer says is a steaming pile of dog turd?
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Furman has never said the Ultimate Guide was "bunk". Secondly, it isn't just the Ultimate Guide that said this. It is still canon, whether you choose to accept that or not, and yes, it does work and it is retconned sensibly. As for IDW, that's supposed to be a "stand-alone" anyway. The rest are not.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Tramp, First, learn to read. You deliberatly skip-read my posts and blow off anything you can't answer sensibly by delibrately rewriting it. I know you can't handle being wrong, but grow a set and try to show some humility for once; I said THE PRIMUS CONCEPT was only mentioned in that Toilet Paper guide, and Furman HAS said that he disregards the Ultimate Guide. Secondly, What the hell are you on about? IDW being standalone. EVERY continuity is standalone. Why is it that these little concepts you keep arguing with people about are ones that only you seem familiar with? And thirdly, The constructicon origin theory is canon as well. Just because it's canon doesn't mean it's correct. And just because you haven't heard something doesn't mean it's not true. You don't know everything about Transformers. I know you THINK you do, even the stuff you haven't read, but seriously, when someone says someone's made a statement that you haven't heard, it isn't WRONG, you just haven't hear it. You can cry "Duh, Canon!" all you bloody well wants: The point is, people ignore the Unicron "Retcon" because it doesn't fit in with various canon. You wouldn't know, you've barely read ANY comics, and from the sounds of it, you missed a couple of TV series' too.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tramp wrote: As for IDW, that's supposed to be a "stand-alone" anyway.
No more so than Marvel or Sunbow material, RiD, the manga introducing Dark Nova, etc. The only series written with consideration for keying into meta-concepts are those produced whilst the concept was popular.

And now we move onwards to Animated. Thus far there's no godwank in that either, and conjoined continuities have become the preserve of the fanclub fiction again.
Damolisher wrote:something that even the Original Writer says is a steaming pile of dog turd?
It would be preferable to stick to quotes rather than hyperbole.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Fair point.

But you see what I mean, Furman doesn't feel the book should be taken as a continuity bible, and it's not. The position that book holds in "Canon" is dubious at best, and it's like Chris McFeely said in another topic- most of the stuff was specifically made up FOR the book, when you consider it's job wasn't to make up new stuff, it was there to state WHAT HAS HAPPENED and the like IN Transformers history.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Denyer wrote:No more so than Marvel or Sunbow material, RiD, the manga introducing Dark Nova, etc. The only series written with consideration for keying into meta-concepts are those produced whilst the concept was popular.

And now we move onwards to Animated. Thus far there's no godwank in that either, and conjoined continuities have become the preserve of the fanclub fiction again.

It would be preferable to stick to quotes rather than hyperbole.
The Marvel, Sunbow, RID, et.all are not "stand-alones" according to canon. While the original writers may not have originally intended it, they are now all part of a greater interconnected multiverse. So far of all of the "main" continuities, only IDW's universe is intended to be a stand-alone.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

No, they aren't now intended to be, the series' themselves contain nothing which says they AREN'T standalone, so you are WRONG. Tramp, here's a good way to tell you're wrong: You keep bringing the same points up time and again,a nd yet you have a disturbing lack of people racing in to back you up.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Damolisher wrote:No, they aren't now intended to be, the series' themselves contain nothing which says they AREN'T standalone, so you are WRONG. Tramp, here's a good way to tell you're wrong: You keep bringing the same points up time and again,a nd yet you have a disturbing lack of people racing in to back you up.
Actually, Damolisher, yes, there is. The Fleer Trading cards state that Primnus and Unicron are multiversal singlularities. Wreckers, which is set in the G1 cartoon-Beast Machines continuity, is the first part of the Universe story line and establishes the cartoon as part of a greater multiverse. the Universe saga also establishes all the others, including RID, and the Unicron Trilogy to be a part of a greater multiverse, all connected by Primus and Unicron. And one of the ways it does this is by having Unicron and Primus bot pulling Autobots and decepticons from all over the multiverse, including from RID, the cartoon, the UT, BW and BM, etc. Another way is be hopping between realities. IT starts in the G1 caertoon/BM continuity, continuies through the UT continuity, and hops over into the Classics continuity, all in one continuous story. It is a multiverse. This chart from Fun Publications shows that they are not stand-alones:

These are canon sources. These are what say that these continuities are not stand-alones. It doesn't matter what other fans say. Canon says they are not stand-alones, and that is what I accept as fact.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tramp wrote:While the original writers may not have originally intended it
What's written/portrayed in the fiction itself is all that matters.

You can posit that the continuity of the Big Looker books contains a Unicron, but the fact is irrelevant to that continuity.

I can posit that there's an invisible pink unicorn in the forum, but it won't be of relevance until she gets bored and decides to gore you across the background.

But when it happens, it'll definitely be an invisible pink unicorn. Honest...
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Tramp, get the point: We know what you THINK is fact, but no-one CARES. The point is, YOU'RE WRONG.