comics' worst ideas......ever.....

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

comics' worst ideas......ever.....

Post by Dead Man Wade »

what in your opinion is the worst idea ever crapped out by a comics writer?

personally, i think it be like this.

1. green lantern's one weakness: yellow! (dramatic music) seriously, who's idea was this? who came up with a superhero whose power could be shorted out by a piece of construction paper. if i were hal jordan, i'd have gone back to the guardians and demanded a ring that was a little better designed.

thank god they decided to get rid of that when kyle rayner took over.

2. spider-clones a-go-go! okay, it's bad enough they brought back this pitiful b-plot from the seventies. but the revelation that the spider-man who went into exile back in the seventies was the real one, well, all i can say is................what the hell?!?!? i'm sorry, but i for one was happy as can be when they brought out ultimate spider-man, simply because it meant this literary abortion never happened. (ooooohhhh.....graphic!!!)

3. red/blue superman: double the pleasure, double the spit-curl! okay, i had an easier time dealing with the screwing with superman's origin and abilities back during crisis (iirc) than buying this ****. seriously, i've seen better plots in a soft-core snuff film (okay, even i don't get that one.....).

4. marvel mangaverse: american manga, only without everything that makes manga readable! see, i liked the manga spider-man, ghost rider, and a couple other things. but on the whole, this was the biggest pile of **** (pity an asterisk can't be capitalized) i have ever read. especially punisher. i still have nightmares about that stupid piece of garbage.

more later prolly.

what do you all think?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Rob Leifeld's Extreme Studios

Letting Ben Raab write comics

X-Treme X-Men

Iron Man's rocket propelled roller skates

The Spider-mobile

90% of the comics produced by Marvel in the 1990s

Letting Tom DeFalco write comics

Bob Harras as Marvel's EIC

Letting Doug Mahnke draw comics

Any Superman comic since Byrne left the titles (Excluding the death and return of Superman epic)

I could probably go on for a very long time. There's been many many very poor ideas in comics...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
Letting Ben Raab write comics
"If I only put X-Men in it, people will think I'm an X-Men writer!"
X-Treme X-Men
"Please buy it guys, I was talented 15 years ago!"
Iron Man's rocket propelled roller skates
i liked them

Hmmm... Marvel's current habit of putting a trendy writer who excels at a self-created series on some book they have no interest in other than as avehicle for themselves, with the result that the comic gets gutted [Geoff Johns, I hope you die alone and afraid, and preferably slowly].

The new fascist Captain America. Thanks Marvel Knights. Now **** off back to 1999.

Cancelling X-Man and Generation X when after 60-odd issues of ****, they were finally get good. I mean, fair enough if you're cutting back on the X-titles [though Cable should have gone instead of X-Man], but when you replace them with random ****...

Namor. The logic that he's been around since the 40s doesn't mean he should be allowed to have hundreds of series, or that anyone cares when he's in the Avengers. For Christ's sake, the Blazing Skull was around in the 40s. Leave us alone.

The recent trend in Marvel books of killing off minor characters no-one can remember for cheap drama. Underbase saga syndrome!

The horrible fact that art once again seems to be the main selling point for lots of comics. Didn't Image teach you anything?

I do alos miss the interaction of the Marvel Universe. I don't mean I want Atlantis Arise-esque mega-crossovers, or to have to read 15 titles to get what's going on, but if Cyclops is off in space or soemthing in New X-Men having split from Jean, it'd be nice if he wasn't buggering her over Professor X's desk in Uncanny...
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Dead characters/concepts that can't stay dead!
(Thanos comes mind)

One month restart (Like Captian Marvel)

Marvel's screwy numbering system (is it vol. 3 #60 or vol. 1 #500?)

The Ultimate Marvel Universe

Conituing mini-series (like Noble Causes)

Trouble by Mark Millar and Terry Dobson
If this the Ultimate Spider-man's conception story fine but don't sit here and tell me that's the Real Spider-Man conception.

Marvel canceling the MC2 line
They weren't the greatest comics ever published but they were fun as hell to read.

Celebrites writing comics that never get published (Kevin Smith)
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

In addition to all of the above:

Doom 2099 and Dr. Doom being the same person- sorry, it just never made sense to me.

The ending to JLA: Obsidian Age:
Aquaman- branded as the Great Destroyer of Atlantis and put on trial by his won people and is out of the League after his ressurection/rescue from 3000 years in the past.
Batman- still won't admit he has the hots for Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman- still won't admit she has the hots for Batman.
Kyle Rayner- hands over the mantle of Green Lantern to John Stewart so the comic can fit more with the cartoon.
Martian Manhunter- leaves the League to destroy his weakness against fire.
Plastic Man- finds out he's immortal and quits the League to spend time with his son.
Faith- comes out of nowhere and gets offered a seat in the Watchtower.
Hawkgirl- goes back to the JSA.
Nightwing- goes back to Bludhaven because he and Batman will never ever get on again.
Firestorm- is offered a seat in thwe Watchtower.
Manitou Raven- the Indian who helped kill and revive the JLA is offered a place as medicine man by the departing Jason Blood.
Green Arrow- Ollie gets kicked out of the Watchtower by Bats. Go figure.
Major Disaster- gets a spot in the League.
Atom- stays on with the League.
Flash- stays with the League and exhalts in having legs again. Don't ask...
Superman- stays as figurehead. Go figure.

**** villains.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
if Cyclops is off in space or soemthing in New X-Men having split from Jean, it'd be nice if he wasn't buggering her over Professor X's desk in Uncanny...
Ah, how things have changed since the Comics Code dissolved...

Anyone know a good site with JLA synopses?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

killing skin from generation x and letting jubilee live. what the hell is with this ****?
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Originally posted by Denyer
Ah, how things have changed since the Comics Code dissolved......

What is the "Comics Code"?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It was a rather strict regulatory code - no nudity, no swearing, no insane violence etc., with not getting the code often giving distribution a severe nobbling. Of late, it's shifted to self-regulation.

Another thing that bothers me with Marvel isn't just the interaction of the X-comics being a bit shoddy, it's the universe as a whole - it's like at the moment when Magneto's going around scrapping New York, when at the same time Spidey and most of Marvel's finest are fighting Dormannu a few blocks over. Erm, lads?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

I do alos miss the interaction of the Marvel Universe. I don't mean I want Atlantis Arise-esque mega-crossovers, or to have to read 15 titles to get what's going on, but if Cyclops is off in space or soemthing in New X-Men having split from Jean, it'd be nice if he wasn't buggering her over Professor X's desk in Uncanny...

I agree that the Spider-Man, The X-Books, Marvel Knights, Epic, Max, Marvel Universe titles are seem to have little or no interaction anymore.

That is one thing that DC TRIES to do when a major
change for one of there characters on a team like JLA happens
is at least they try to aknowlegde it. Not always I know but at
least if its major they use it or mention it (Like the death of Wonder Woman's mother Kyle Rayner is in space etc.)
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Hound
Rob Leifeld

Ummmm, lets have some fun:

Lady Death and Evil Ernie - sure base a continuing stream of comics on a teen who is litterally killing the world and his overly ample mind chick. Then try and give it a back story (sadly I have quite a few of these comics, ah youth)

Turning Grendel into a hero and the good guys. Ah issues 16+ of the Comico series were great when the Grendel force was corruptive and tried to make people do bad things.

Batman Vs Grendel 2 - the first one was amazing, Hunter Rose VS early Batman, great story telling, and no robin. Second one was Cyber Grendel Vs Cyber Batman - and I really liked Grendel Prime.

Joseph Linsner and Dawn going over to Image - though the series is looking pretty good.

Marvel's Darkhawk

Trying to make Crow: City of Angels a comic - and part of the Crow "universe"

I'll post more if they come to me
RBison
Protoform

Post by RBison »

Originally posted by fort_max
killing skin from generation x and letting jubilee live. what the hell is with this ****?

Probably because of her connection to Wolverine.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Marvel spending a couple of decades pissing off creators-resulting in the formation of Image, an oversaturated market and 1,000,000+ sales of top comics reduced to 90,000+ and written by ego driven writers who have little respect for the continunity, source material to embark on a massive ego f##k.

99% of image.

Superman since Zero Hour.

Continunity rewrites for the sake of it (ego f##king again).

Alan Moore not given the Superman writer job (dispite his 3 single issue stories being the best).

Any resurection since X-factor 1.
Cliffied quote:
Arise-esque mega-crossovers, or to have to read 15 titles to get what's going on, but if Cyclops is off in space or soemthing in New X-Men having split from Jean, it'd be nice if he wasn't buggering her over Professor X's desk in Uncanny...
:wtf:

More ego f##king but with the writer imagining himself in the story in this one....

No wonder I quit comics after the Xavier quest....
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Late books

Mike Mingola's artwork

John Bynre not finishing Next Men
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
Late books

image?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Talking of whom, the complete non-appearance of Ministry of Space #3 is a bit annoying. Why can't **** like G. I. Joe vs. the Transformers just fail to appear?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

image?

Nope DC, Marvel, and everybody else.

Talking of whom, the complete non-appearance of Ministry of Space #3 is a bit annoying.
The reason because the artist of the series Chris Weston (I think) is working on The Filth for DC/Vertigo and is running late on that
title as well! :wall:

Why can't **** like G. I. Joe vs. the Transformers just fail to appear?

Please explain.

(Now if you're talking about the DW one you don't have explain)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

okay, here's some more i thought of.

1. wolverine's feral redesign. okay, see logan going really feral is not that great a leap in my mind (character-wise). what made it really bad was the sprout of fur on his arms and the overwhelming lack of a nose. just plain bad.

2. galactus and the skrull homeworld. galactus eats the skrull homeworld. skrulls are pissed. x-men wind up traveling through time and space to skrull homeworld right before galactus shows up. x-men try to stop it. x-men fail. skrulls are pissed at x-men. yeah. no.

3. the twelve and the melding of cyclops and apocalypse. i don't even know where to begin. needless to say, trying to make cyclops into a grim and gritty character just does not work. not now, not ever.

4. stacy x. a former mutant hooker? part of the x-men? they'll take anyone these days.

5. beast's transformation. turning beast into a giant cat? is nothing sacred? he doesn't bounce, or jump, or flip anymore. he just growls. it's like having another wolverine.

6. killing psylocke. i just can't believe........wait........that didn't really bother me.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

...1. wolverine's feral redesign. okay, see logan going really feral is not that great a leap in my mind (character-wise). what made it really bad was the sprout of fur on his arms and the overwhelming lack of a nose. just plain bad....

Hmm. Sounds bad - do you have a pic of that?
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Hound

Post by Hound »

5. beast's transformation. turning beast into a giant cat?

Oh look it's the cowardly lion! I'm waiting for him to break out into "If I were the king of the forest".
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you