Best comic in the 80's? Or the best run you remember as a kiddie?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Best comic in the 80's? Or the best run you remember as a kiddie?

Post by Jetfire »

I think Frank Millers DareDevil and Batman stories are second to none. The best thing the industry has ever produced.

Naturally the X-men was consistently great as was Byrnes Fantastic Four and I recall loving some ABC warriors but I haven't read them in years.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

As a kiddie I was all over nemesis and the ABC warriors. It's only recently that I've taken any interest in who actually drew/wrote them, but it's clear to me now that kevin o'neil is a god.

fact.

Akira toriyama is also a god. Each wednesday without fail I'd be in front of the telly for 9:30 for the next episode of DBZ, and the manga is so much better than the snail-pace anime. I could talk more about it, but it would soon become apparent that I'm nostalgicaly biased and that nothing will change my mind about the subject :eyebrow:

my childhood was o'neil, senior, and toriyama. questions ?

edit : wow, that's quite an aggressive post... I don't really mean it that way.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well are we talking during the whole of the eighties, which comic was best through the entirety of the decade or which comic produced at any time during the decade was best?

I'd say Uncanny X-Men was the best during the entirety of the 80s.

Though the best comic to be produced during the 80s was Miracleman, without question... :eyebrow:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
Though the best comic to be produced during the 80s was Miracleman, without question... :eyebrow:
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Hound
Well are we talking during the whole of the eighties, which comic was best through the entirety of the decade or which comic produced at any time during the decade was best?

Both, as long a syou say.

I shoul a Akira was the best comic I've ever read. It poo's all over the film an the film was very good. It's an 80's comic but I read it a decade or so later.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Akira has the best rendering of explosions I can think of in any comic.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

The 80's were a good time for comics I think. While i was too young to read em at the time I inherited a large collection and started reading in teh early nineties so I had alot of 80's material to peruse.

Now I didnt discover How awesome the 80's were till later in life (few years ago when I got back into comics) and found out about Watchmen, DKR, Miracle man (Thank you cliffy for those scans you put up or I never would have read this awesome comic) and a slew of others in the 80's comic revolution.

The stuff I had from the 80's were more standard fair Spider-man, X-men....you know. But even these comics seemed to be influenced by this golden era. I remember reading australian x-men and the original X-factor and thinking that they were alot better than 90's x-men. Maybe its nostalgia but I find some of the old events to be better than todays crossovers as well.

Joe Q can go on and on about how bad older crossovers were but at least they didnt have books created just for the event. IF the X-men were involved it happened in the X-men book, there wasnt a seperate civil war: x-men book to buy.

Anyway I have fond memories about Inferno I thought that cross over was awesome. Denomic invasion from limbo and there was alot of x-men backstory to it. New mutants was a good book back then too and they were heavily involved.

There was an Avengers story back then where they had disbanded and only Jarvis was around to save people in the possesed streets of new york. He makes a call to whomever he can find to save the day and does his best on his own. Then this posessed car is about to kill him when this trench coated figure throws this circular object at the evil robot car. revealing himself to be The Captain. That was a kickass moment because he just came out of nowhere and he and jarvis are the only active avengers and he has to put togather this motley force to help save the day.

It had little to do with the overall Inferno resolution because it was largely an x-men story but they managed to show Avengers characters deal with it in a logical fashion that didnt seem forced.

hmmm other stuff from the 80's I rememeber were west coast avengers (better than the regular book most of the time) and Micheline Iron man. Spide-man w/ todd was great before they let him write (in the 90's) Grey Hulk....Gee I really liked marvel during this time.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Yeah, the 80s were a great time for quality Marvel comics. Almost every title had a classic run - Byrne on Fantastic Four, and on Alpha Flight; Simonson on Thor; Roger Stern on Amazing Spider-Man in the early 80s; Peter David's Hulk run started in the later 80s. Hound pegged the best end-to-end 80s comic, Uncanny X-Men - though Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil after Miller's has some very nice moments of its own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
Joe Q can go on and on about how bad older crossovers were but at least they didnt have books created just for the event. IF the X-men were involved it happened in the X-men book, there wasnt a seperate civil war: x-men book to buy.

From the point of view of an X-men fan, I can understand the frustration, as it's yet another X-book to buy.

However, for someone who has never been particularly fond of all things X, and who is only out to collect Civil War, I can see it being preferable. After all, it's a four issue mini that's only really heavy on immediate continuity. You don't need more than a passing familiarity with the characters to follow what's going on. I can certainly see the appeal of it.

Plus, it makes organizing easier.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Oh im not an x-fan at all I was merely speaking in generalities.

There was also a young avengers/runaways: civil war. I just dont understand these books...I would have them in the regular title rather than another title specifcally for the event that features the exact same characters.

you and I are more sensible people that only require the initial title to get our civil war fix. But i just feel that alot of these titles are playing dirty pool. Whenever I drop by my LCS and talk about *insert event here* the other more completionist patrons bring up plot points that werent covered in the mini that seem pretty essential.

civil war:front line and amazing spider-man have revelations about the holding facility and iron man motives not covered in the mini that dont seem extraneous. I can understand leaving out things like the hunt for nitro covered in wolverine but a few things ive heard that were in other books seemed like an important thing to leave out of the first book.

BTW I think DC (at the other end of the spectrum) have been just as dirty in their format even if their story is more self contained.

Infite crisis had tie in books but most happened before the mini, then you had the mini, then 52 to explain the missing year (4-5 issues a month!) now countdown(same thing) and whatever countdown is counting down to. all in all there are even more books to buy here.

I love a cohesive universe like marvel managed back in the day but I think we should stop with the events.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*