You ever have "I'm not drunk, but I wish I was" moments?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

You ever have "I'm not drunk, but I wish I was" moments?

Post by Sades »

Asides from when you've just made a stupid-ass decision because then you'd at least have something of an excuse, I mean.

(or if you want to write about those moments, go ahead. Whatevah.)

I'm pretty ****ing bored right now. The sad thing is, that's pretty much the only reason I wish I was hammered.

Boredom is dangerous! And my avatar is awesome.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Not so much 'wish I was drunk' moments, but I really suffer these days from 'opportunity cost' moments.

By that I mean whenever I go anywhere or do anything I'm always considering what would have been a better use of the time.

I'm a real 'fun' killer at the moment, and by 'moment' I mean the last four years. Perhaps that's the perfect indicator to get drunk a little more often. Goals and dreams appear easily attainable when you're drunk. The solution hits like a spade to the face, and then when I'm sober again I simply revert to putting up invisible barriers.

Like I refuse pointblank (and Sureshot) to believe anything is that simple.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sades

Post by Sades »

That's it, I'm flying out there and we're getting sloshed. Buy my plane ticket.

You know what's funny (asides from me being on step one towards alcoholism)? I used to be the buzzkill, but I find that I'm the one playing the optimist more often than not nowadays.

Most days, I just think people need to stop taking life so seriously. You only get one crack at it, might as well stop moping about and take a couple of chances once in a bit. It may not be that simple, but why not give it a try anyway?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I spent most of my cousin's engagement party wishing I could drink as much as everyone else (I was on tea due to having to go to work). Awesomely my Uncle got so merry he got his future son in law's name wrong despite knowing him for 6 years. He won't live that down. Ever. It's what families for.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

You are exactly right. Being a buzzkill is awful, and sometimes living a quiet little life because its easy is what makes you a buzzkill, stops you taking chances and becoming a vibrant, impassioned person.

In my own little way I'm doing that right now by quitting my job. It's made me incredibly inhibited and when I look back on my death bed I am going to despise the incredible waste of time I spent there (two years), simply because it was financially safer to stay put and whether the economic storm than be a ****ing rider at the gates of dawn positively shaping my own life and accepting the responsibility of what happens rather than jumping Platoon-style from one foxhole to another.

I don't see drink as being any kind of answer. But I genuinely hate wasting any more of my life away because I've fashioned myself into being a risk-averse individual.

Does anyone remember that old Next Generation episode where Picard wishes he hadn't been so hot headed as a cadet and got stabbed through the heart in a bar fight? The Q character shows Picard what life would be like for if he hadn't taken risks, and he's shown as a decent, but rather boring and lifeless chap whose life is merely ok.

Upon seeing this, Picard took the option to get stabbed through the heart and collapsed smiling. I like the message of that story.

That bald, over-enunciated theatrical luvvies should get ****ed severely through a vital organ.

And that's why I'm leaving.

No, bear. want. to. live.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Have no fear, Halfshell once told me that if I'm ever near Cambridge I should look you up for a drink.

And not him.

So in the unlikely event I ever go to the place they send people not good enough to get killed off in Morse I shall help you solve your alcohol problem.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Cool, I can take you to one of our self-important pubs where Watson & Crick discovered the double helix, or the other one where Clive Sinclair realised that the Speccy was shite and bought a Commodore 64 instead.

And there was much rejoicing.

And I hate Halfshell, much rather meet Brendocon.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Auntie Slag wrote:You are exactly right. Being a buzzkill is awful, and sometimes living a quiet little life because its easy is what makes you a buzzkill, stops you taking chances and becoming a vibrant, impassioned person.
Who said this?

I like my way of thinking. It suits me, I know that much. Doesn't mean it suits everyone. Asides, I like the quiet life. Well, mostly.

I'll wait till the weekend to drink. I only have a year left of my twenties. I'll have to think of something interesting to do with it.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Sorry, my fault. I was attributing that as your opinion when in fact it was just my interpretation of your words.

I just feel like I've been a little too quiet for a little too long. Its all to do with the fact that I need to go for my dreams rather than put up barriers to excuse myself from even trying. Self-buzzkill.

Brad Pitt's got a gun to my head and he's asking me what I wanted to be. That's where I am right now.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Auntie Slag wrote:Watson & Crick discovered the double helix
Did they do it on a skateboard?
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

No they were Heterosexual.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:I'll wait till the weekend to drink. I only have a year left of my twenties. I'll have to think of something interesting to do with it.
Happy birthday for... what is it, tomorrow?

And yes, work would go a lot more swimmingly at times with alcohol. And music. And just getting down to coding without distractions.
Sades

Post by Sades »

No big, Auntie Slag. I've been there as well.
Denyer wrote:Happy birthday for... what is it, tomorrow?
Yesh. Yay, someone remembered. :)

I've decided to give up junk food and most of the bad habits I've adopted over the years I've spent in the city and work my way back to working out like a demon so I can go into 30 looking and feeling better than I did at 29. I aim to have a bit more fun than I've had in the past few years as well however, so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it up.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

I'm sure I'd have been drunk a lot these last few ... were I not so darned cheap.

It's how I've avoided essentially every vice society has to offer.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I find most things easier when I accept the fact that drinking is one of the few things that I'm relatively decent at. The whole, 'be responsible, grow up' thing.... well when it's forced upon you, such as my life is attempting to do to me at the moment, well, it's not as nice as you thought it might be.

It's better!

Just found out a few days ago I'm a father to be, and yesterday I saw my childs heart beating on an ultrasound. Really makes putting the bottle down a bit easier, to be fair. I mean, I got shattered the night I found out, been in the relationship for not as long as it'll take for her to have the rugrat...

Anyway, to topic, yes, I wish I was wasted when I was told. Not just when I made it......
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Rurudyne wrote:I'm sure I'd have been drunk a lot these last few ... were I not so darned cheap.
Wow, yeah, me too...
Sades

Post by Sades »

So we're having a small barbeque, I'm full of good food and booze and (while everyone else watches Zombieland) I thought I'd share pics of the birthday cake I made. Y'know, since this is a bit of a throwaway thread (and mine, muahahaha)... I really thought it was pretty, too pretty to not post.

Not bad imo considering my only cutting tool was a slightly serrated butter knife.

Next time I'll just make my own fondant rather than buy that manufactured crap. The cake was great, but the fondant tasted like poo.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Worked well.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Thanks. :)

[edit] If anyone is interested, I picked up the Wilton brand of premade fondant (try a different brand- the taste/texture on this one wasn't great) in white and a container of gel food colouring in Violet. I drew the logo onto tracing paper, taped the paper to some tin foil and cut it out using a new and washed exacto-blade. I then shifted the stencil I'd just made in the tin foil over to the pre-coloured and rolled fondant, placed it on top of the fondant and shook a little bit of powdered/icing sugar over top of it to show me where I needed to cut.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Sades wrote:So we're having a small barbeque, I'm full of good food and booze and (while everyone else watches Zombieland) I thought I'd share pics of the birthday cake I made. Y'know, since this is a bit of a throwaway thread (and mine, muahahaha)... I really thought it was pretty, too pretty to not post.

Not bad imo considering my only cutting tool was a slightly serrated butter knife.

Next time I'll just make my own fondant rather than buy that manufactured crap. The cake was great, but the fondant tasted like poo.
The cake looked very cool!

Sorry about the goo issues.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"