Marvel UK Comics

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Zudo Bug
Protoform

Marvel UK Comics

Post by Zudo Bug »

I have just purchased 200+ Marvel UK comics in varying conditions from Ebay for a little over £40 including postage. I think this is a good deal but I am no comic grader and would like to know what other people think of this. One of the issues I have received is one that I have never seen before (well, sort of). It is of issue 113 and is identical in every way except that in the comic book box in the top left hand corner of the cover instead of displaying the issue number and price it says 'FREE' and in the bottom right hand corner of the cover it has a triangular cut-out token which says on it 'Berni Funtime Free Comic'. Can anybody shed any light on this supposed 'free comic'?

Also, I would like to know if anybody knows any reliable internet sites that I can buy the UK issues from that are missing from the collection - especially the early and late issues.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Excellent deal as long as the spines haven't dissolved.

Early is a problem because of condition and people not saving them, late is a problem because the print run was much less... watching eBay for batches is a good tactic which you've already discovered.

How early and how late, exactly?

Sorry, dunno about the freebie, but Cliffy might know when he arrives.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

New one on me I'm afraid... probably some tie-in (helpful, aren't I?).

Pre-Dinobot Hunt and post-Earthforce issues are pricey (it's very rare someone doesn't split the first and last forty into individual lots... I only actually completed the run due to the immense generosity of Denyer and Windcharger, and through being mad enough to spaff £40 on #1)... best source I found was http://www.silveracre.com - as well as having a decent selection, they seem to get new stock from time to time. The mid-run stuff can be found cheaper on ebay, but trust me, it can become frustrating looking for the rarer ones, which can still fetch a pretty price with bidding wars on ebay. http://www.26pigs.com is often worth a look too. Early issues in anything approaching mint are rare and expensive; condition-wise people were collecting more towards the end of the run, but prices can still be high.

Batches of early or late still fetch a fair price, TBH, as there's enough of a market for someone to pay £50 for the first dozen issues or whatever, cherry-pick the handful they need, and sell the others on in seperate auctions...

Oh, and be prepared to accumulate a fair few duplicates - having a couple of people interested in trading these can help fill a few gaps for yerself :)

I've always meant to do a gallery of my TF UK collection... some of the issues have lovely stories behind them...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The free issue thing is probably something similar to what marvel did with a couple of Colin Baker era issues of Doctor Who Magazine at around the same time, special editions were made for sale/giveaway at some sort of restaraunt place (some of the comics were also given away free with crisps at the same time).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Oh, and be prepared to accumulate a fair few duplicates - having a couple of people interested in trading these can help fill a few gaps for yerself :)
Another (mostly UK based) forum could be a good place to find people interested in trading. I've found most of the my missing issues from there.
http://www.forum.the-hub.co.uk/tool/mb/thehub

For example I have a useless #40 which I'd be glad to trade for #213&#214. :o
Zudo Bug
Protoform

Post by Zudo Bug »

Thanks Cliffy for the links and I think I will certainly be trying these sites for any missing issues as well as keeping an eye on Ebay. Also, thanks Osku for the forum link which I may register with to see if I can pick up any issues.

In reply to Denyers comment on the condition of the comics the early ones I have which start from issue 13 have slightly loose covers on some of them and competition coupons and front cover tokens cut out on others. Still, I can't complain considering the price I paid for the lot of them.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

It's a nice price, no doubt about that. I paid more for about 160 issues last year. It's just that most of the comic freaks are also interested in collecting, which means that the condition matters and reflects heavily on price.

Getting the missing issues from between (7 issues I think) cost irritatingly much, especially with the highish postage to Finland.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Zudo Bug
I have which start from issue 13 have slightly loose covers on some of them and competition coupons and front cover tokens cut out on others.

Aye, it was a while before they got the hang of making free gifts that didn't take half the cover with them or putting cut-outs inside the cover... A lot of my early ones have similar problems, but I saw so few without blemishes (and they usually went for a lot) that in the end I settled... it wasn't for a couple of years, it seems, that not many people actually collected the comics, as opposed to getting them weekly and shoving them to one side. It's a bit of a blessing, really, that the comic was on decent paper, or the early stuff would basically be impossible to find.
Zudo Bug
Protoform

Post by Zudo Bug »

Inflatable Dalek was right about the freebie comic I have. After a bit of searching I have discovered it was given away at a Berni Inn restaurant just like issue 122 of Doctor Who Magazine was at some point.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Incidentally, if you're after #269-289 (minus 273) turn PMs on in your profile and give me a shout... I might have a lead of some description... [Crap at this subtlety thing, aren't I?]