Full Toyfare interview with Transformers movie screenwriters now online

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Full Toyfare interview with Transformers movie screenwriters now online

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I was reassured until I got to the bit where they casually mention that the studio was dead set against the TFs talking. So the studio isn't interested in the robots as characters, even if the script-writers are.
numbat

Post by numbat »

As far as I gather, studios often miss the point with film concepts. It's just great that, in this case, the studio didn't enforce it (or the makers managed to carefully slowly twist their arm, anyhoo...).

Otherwise, I found the interview rather reassuring - perhaps all the more thanks to that little nugget of honesty!

:)
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Denyer
I was reassured until I got to the bit where they casually mention that the studio was dead set against the TFs talking. So the studio isn't interested in the robots as characters, even if the script-writers are.

You have to view it from this perspective.

The concept of giant living, sentient, robots with distinct personalities is totally new to Hollywood.

Think about it this way:

---------------
Hollywood producer: "So, we have this pitch for a movie about those 'Transformers'."
Hollywood exec: "The what? A movie about eletrical generators or what?"
Hollywood producer: "No, it's about alien robots that come to Earth!"
Hollywood exec: "Aaaah! Invasion movie. Now we're talking."
Hollywood producer: "And these robots can turn into everyday cars and machines."
Hollywood exec: "You're kidding."
Hollywood producer: "No."
Hollywood exec: "Okay, why would alien robots that come to Earth turn into everyday cars and machines?"
Hollywood producer: "Disguise! They're blending into human society that way, hiding among us, avoiding detection."
Hollywood exec: "Aaah-hum... okay. I can see that. They are among us kind of story. Alright then."
Hollywood producer: "And, uhm, some of these robots are evil and want to wipe out mankind..."
Hollywood exec: "Sure thing."
Hollywood producer: "And, uh, well, some of them are actually good and will try and protect humanity."
Hollywood exec: "WTF is this, some ****ing kids' movie or what?"
Hollywood producer: "Uh, no, sir. These robots have, like, you know, a civil war. And they bring their war to Earth. One side just wants to conquer everything, whereas the other one seeks to protect the freedom of all sentient beings."
Hollywood exec: "Ah... okay. Their war, our world. Alright, I think that works."
Hollywood producer: "And, uhm, these robots can talk too. In English."
Hollywood exec: "ARGH! Dammit! This is a kids' movie, for ****'s sake!"
---------------

See what I mean?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

They need to have the Transformers arrive on Earth, realise that being able to speak all the local dialects might be useful and then enroll in evening classes and learn the languages over a few months. Megs can take French, Screamer German and so on!
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by Nevermore
You have to view it from this perspective.

The concept of giant living, sentient, robots with distinct personalities is totally new to Hollywood.

Think about it this way:

---------------
Hollywood producer: "So, we have this pitch for a movie about those 'Transformers'."
Hollywood exec: "The what? A movie about eletrical generators or what?"
Hollywood producer: "No, it's about alien robots that come to Earth!"
Hollywood exec: "Aaaah! Invasion movie. Now we're talking."
Hollywood producer: "And these robots can turn into everyday cars and machines."
Hollywood exec: "You're kidding."
Hollywood producer: "No."
Hollywood exec: "Okay, why would alien robots that come to Earth turn into everyday cars and machines?"
Hollywood producer: "Disguise! They're blending into human society that way, hiding among us, avoiding detection."
Hollywood exec: "Aaah-hum... okay. I can see that. They are among us kind of story. Alright then."
Hollywood producer: "And, uhm, some of these robots are evil and want to wipe out mankind..."
Hollywood exec: "Sure thing."
Hollywood producer: "And, uh, well, some of them are actually good and will try and protect humanity."
Hollywood exec: "WTF is this, some ****ing kids' movie or what?"
Hollywood producer: "Uh, no, sir. These robots have, like, you know, a civil war. And they bring their war to Earth. One side just wants to conquer everything, whereas the other one seeks to protect the freedom of all sentient beings."
Hollywood exec: "Ah... okay. Their war, our world. Alright, I think that works."
Hollywood producer: "And, uhm, these robots can talk too. In English."
Hollywood exec: "ARGH! Dammit! This is a kids' movie, for ****'s sake!"
---------------

See what I mean?

and thats why i think a lot of people are turned off towards america's hollywood babylon nowadays. overseas producers, at least in japan (akira kurosawa amongst the greats), are open to new ideas and try to work with the script writers and design teams. for an ultimate visual masterpiece. its not that the actors, etc. are bad, its the execs who just want to make a quick buck. i like this interview, at least two out of four people afformentioned know what they want at least!
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

The more I hear about this movie, the more happy I am with Michael Bay. I mean, he's always great at fun blockbuster movies, but the fact that he seems so excited about this movie, in concept and in practice (he seemed almost giddy in that one on-set behind-the-scenes thing we've seen) and now this interview makes me feel pretty good about their choice of director.

Also, I don't think it ever said they were dead set against talking Transformers. It just said at first they were concerned they might not be able to make it believable.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Likewise, the concept of people with personalities is almost unheard of.

The quality of a lot of new films reflects this.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
Likewise, the concept of people with personalities is almost unheard of.

DaDUM-ssh. That Dubya, he's a bit slow, isn't he? I mean, of all the people to let Bombshell hack their account... :p