Akira DVD question

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Akira DVD question

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, I need some slightly weird help here... When I first saw Akira on TV, and then bought it on VHS, it had the Leonardo off TMNT dub. But the DVD I scabbed for free off a magazine a year or so ago has some new dub or other that's probably more accurate to the Japanese source or some bollocks, and it isn't right - too many of the lines are different, and Kaneda no longer sounds like Leonardo off TMNT. I was wondering whether anyone knew if the Leonardo dub got as far as DVD, and if so if they knew which covers were which...

Ta.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Well, I can tell you this much...

The Streamline dub of Akira (the one featuring Cam Clarke/Leonardo) was not released on DVD in R1 by Pioneer, who did the Jonny Yong Bosch/Adam the Black Power Ranger dub.

To my knowledge, the Streamline dub has only been made available in R2 as part of a multi-disk special edition, the precise title/cover of said special edition I'm afraid I can't help you with (which is what you asked for, so sorry).

But if you look for "Akira R2 2-disk set" that might give you something to go on.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

By the look of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(film)#Home_video
In 2002, Manga released a two-disc DVD featuring the new Pioneer English dub followed in 2004 by another two-disc set containing the original Japanese as well as both the Streamline and Pioneer dubs.
You want the 2004 double disc set. Though a scan of Amazon only shows up 2002 and earlier releases...
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

This be the correct one, my 2002 copy has a different cover (simply black with "Akira" across the front).
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IT EVEN HAS THE 'RIGHT' COVER!

Awesomeness, cheers guys :) Now to see if there's one cheap on ebay :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

the_escaflowne_2k wrote:This be the correct one, my 2002 copy has a different cover (simply black with "Akira" across the front).

That's the one shown on Amazon. See, aren't we a wonderfully helpful bunch of people at times?

Is Akira actually any good then?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek wrote: Is Akira actually any good then?
My weevoo.

It's very pretty to look at. Very pretty.

It somewhat suffers from the usual "too smart for their own good" syndrome that a lot of anime tends to. You know, "Matrix sequels" syndrome.

But compared to a lot of stuff, it really isn't that bad and manages to compress a tremendously lengthy comic series into 2 hours pretty well. Certainly better than a lot of other attempts, like that pretty-but-awful "X: The Movie".

I enjoy it, partially out of nostalgia and partially because it is a pretty good flick.

If the story doesn't grab you, then at the very least, the music and animation quality should keep you entertained for the 2 hours and some change.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, at the risk of being called a dullard I've got to say I prefer the biker gang stuff to the actual later story. There's probably a bit too much going on for the good of the film in the last half hour. That said, it's a must-see just for the style, if nothing else.

Think of it, perhaps, as the Citizen Kane of anime.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

the_escaflowne_2k wrote:This be the correct one, my 2002 copy has a different cover (simply black with "Akira" across the front).
If that is the one that comes with two separate boxes then thats what I got, I had a look at the credits but there were no english dub voice actors credited, only the japanese, and Im not familiar enough with TMHT/NT anymore to be able to recognise Leonardos voice straight away
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

CounterPunch wrote:If that is the one that comes with two separate boxes then thats what I got, I had a look at the credits but there were no english dub voice actors credited, only the japanese, and Im not familiar enough with TMHT/NT anymore to be able to recognise Leonardos voice straight away
Yup that's the one, the 2002 (with new dub) set comes in a fold out case with some artcards and stickers.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
phoenixlipo
Protoform

Post by phoenixlipo »

Hi,

Very rarely in cinema history does a film truly define its genre. It takes a lot for a film to singularly become the title people think of when trying to get their friends turned on to a particular style of movie. When anime fans in America are discussing the subject of anime, one film (and one film only) comes up more than any other. That film is, of course

thanks !