the legend of Zelda

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
starlord
Protoform

the legend of Zelda

Post by starlord »

Is anyone a fan of the game series?I noticed something really interesting if you are a fan. The three first games are more like the lord of the rings series than other later games. The games have Link fighting goblins and wargs while the other don't.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

starlord wrote:The games have Link fighting goblins and wargs while the other don't.
Yes they do.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I play Twilight Princess... And those monsters do look like goblins, IMO. But that's just personal taste.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

For the record. They were never called goblins, always Moblins.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

One thing I always liked about the series, is that for the most part, it's a consistant experience with minor differences.

Although, if Nintendo ever decides to pull another Ocarina of Time Water Temple on us again, heads will roll.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

secretcode wrote:One thing I always liked about the series, is that for the most part, it's a consistent experience with minor differences.

Although, if Nintendo ever decides to pull another Ocarina of Time Water Temple on us again, heads will roll.
Water Temple...*suppresses burning rage* Fortunately, the final boss was a cake walk.

In other news, in what why were the original like Lord of the Rings? A young lad must find his inner hero and face unrelenting evil? That describes about 90% of the fantasy genre.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

It was easy. Scrubs.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I did find it interesting in recent years learning that the NES games, chronologically are the last in the series, the SNES and Game Boys ones set hundreds of years before and the N64 and later gens thousands of years before the NES ones.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Jetfire wrote:I did find it interesting in recent years learning that the NES games, chronologically are the last in the series, the SNES and Game Boys ones set hundreds of years before and the N64 and later gens thousands of years before the NES ones.
According too?
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are my faves. I so would love a modern remake of Link's Awakening. (WiiWare perhaps?)
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_ ... a_Timeline

Offical Nintendo statements. Fitting the events of the games, the condition of Hyrul in logically and the state of Ganons appearences. A link to the Past Ganon obviously fits the Ganin that was Trapped in the dark world at the end of OoT. Miyamoto himself said OoT is the earilest Zelda. Windraker and Twilight Princess have been given statements by Nintendo that they occur hundreds of years after OoT. However some believe in a single timeline while others think that it was split after OoT.

The appearence of Ganon concidently fits these theories as it means with each appearence he is increasingly Pig like and less human.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Not that I can remember it 100% but isnt the character from Wind Waker influenced to become a hero because of the legends of Link? so yeh, timeline works out, and I've actually heard that idea before.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

While there are several theories there are only a few facts Majorias Mask is the same link is as OoT.The Link in Zelda I AND II are the same. Link in LA and ALTTP is 99% sure are the same. OoT is Ganon's first appearence. There is more than 1 Zelda and Link.

Anyways this is my accepted Timeline(and one of the more popular versions):
Minish Cap
I
4 Swords
I
OoT
/ .\
/ ... \
/ ..... \
CHILD LINK....... ADULT LINK
/ ....... \
MM ......... TWW
/ ........... \
TP ............. PH
/ .............. \
....................... ALTTP
................... \
..................... LA
....................... \
......................... TLOZ
............................\
.........................................TAOL

The Oracles has the least placeable existence. It could be just before between or after the ALTTP and LA era or at the end of the whole series. The game supports the split timeline idea with two alternate timeline links going through different but connected adventures at the same time and possibly rejoining the timelines together. Nice idea.

The state of Hyrule also supports the split timeline theory, sometimes it's nicely inhabited by towns (Child Link timeline) and at other times it's a desolate place which backs the Ganon taking over/defeated by link but Hyrule is messed up, then flooded by TWW and then drained by the original NES games leaving a sparse region compared with the Childs versions bustlng kingdom.

I should add that TLOZ and AOL can easily be switched to Child Links timeline and a Ganon who was never sealed away but banished/excuted etc whn Child Link came to Zelda and told her what Ganon was planning.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I'm a HUGE fan of the Zelda series and have owned all the Zelda games at one point or another (with the exception of the incredibly horrible Philips CD-i games *shivers*). I even owned multiple versions of the same game on different platforms (i.e. Link's Awakening - GB, Link's Awakening DX - GBC; The Legend of Zelda - NES; The Legend of Zelda (Classics Series) - GBA, etc.). My absolute favorite of the series is A Link To The Past. Ocarina of Time was phenomenal (and also the single most important reason I bought my N64), but I'd have to give it to ALTTP. Nintendo's latest home console effort (Twilight Princess) is quickly climbing my charts and is easily tied for second with OoT.

On the matter of OoT's Water Temple - I don't think it was necessarily difficult, so much as it was incredibly confusing and frustrating. And the final boss there was a breeze.

I also wonder (now that I previously mentioned the Philips CD-i) what would have happened to the entire series if Nintendo had continued it's partnership with Sony.

As for the timelines, I usually stick to the console Zelda games, and the handhelds (although they are well made and quite fun; Link's Awakening is great) take a backseat to the major titles, and therefore in my timeline, they don't really have a place.

Anyways, HUGE Zelda fan, glad this thread popped up. I was actually thinking of posting one myself...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

The handhelds are generally easy to place. LA is the Link from ALTTP on anotehr adventure after Ganon's defeat. Same for Phantom Hourglass and The Wind Waker. The Oracle games are the tricky ones as they can be placed anywhere in eaither time line or the two of them in both.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Jetfire wrote:The handhelds are generally easy to place. LA is the Link from ALTTP on anotehr adventure after Ganon's defeat. Same for Phantom Hourglass and The Wind Waker. The Oracle games are the tricky ones as they can be placed anywhere in eaither time line or the two of them in both.
They are easy to place, I personally though, don't really consider them when I think about the LOZ universe, so to speak. I generally just think of events that transpired in the larger games.

Also, wasn't much of a fan of the Wind Waker. It's a really great game with good gameplay and a strong story (as is with all Zelda games, save for Four Swords Adventures on the 'Cube), but the artistic aspect of it didn't suck me in like most of the games do.
Starscream's Ghost
Protoform

Post by Starscream's Ghost »

That's an interesting perspective, and true. Anyway yeah, Zelda is great. Twilight Princess was pretty good. OoT is still #1 in my opinion, though. Closely followed by Windwaker.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I really do think, though, that the next Zelda game diverges from the current formula of Link needs to save Zelda, and defeat Ganon. I love Hyrule, but it might do the series some good for Link to see some new scenery/characters and have a different foe, like in Majora's Mask. I know the creative teams at Nintendo can come up with something fascinating. They just need to put Miyamoto on it, and BLAMMO! new story line...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Starscream's Ghost wrote:That's an interesting perspective, and true. Anyway yeah, Zelda is great. Twilight Princess was pretty good. OoT is still #1 in my opinion, though. Closely followed by Windwaker.

:eyebrow: I'm rather surprised to see this username about. Ah the memories of 2000-2001. Ha I rememebr when anybody who joined late 2001 onwards was considered a newbie, like they aren't now by the hardcore? :p Anybody seen Shrapnel? Prowl? Eternal 1? Soundwave Rules, Ravage, Menasor, Grimlock, Death's Head, Strafefox64, Stuart Denyer? Skywarp? Brendocon? Jetfire 2.1?

What's happened to them all? :(