IDW Transformers: Infiltration #0 - public & 'insider' previews!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Public five-page preview:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=41520

Nevermore's preview:

[Denyer] Mine's further down the thread, and probably has fewer spoilers if you're bothered by 'em. [/Denyer]

Just got this in as a PDF. IDW gave me EXPLICIT permission to review it, but: NO SCANS ALLOWED.

Anyone asking for scans will be ignored.

So...

Covers:

Two wrap-around covers included. First one (BotCOn exclusive) is using lots of concept designs by Aaron Archer (not E.J.Su, as I originally claimed), spanning Armada, Energon and Cybertron, plus some REALLY weird stuff. Main focus on the front cover is, of course, Optimus Prime.
Second cover is showing Shockwave. Sorry, no matter how impressive he might look, nothing EVER beats the legendary "Are All Dead" cover.

Intro: "They are among us". w00t, this is for the Australians, eh? :)
Anyway... the intro text informs us that the Transformers have apparently been on Earth for two years, unnoticed by the general public.

Confirmed characters to appear in this issue are Ratchet for the Autobots, and Starscream, Thundercracker, Runabout and Runamuck for the Decepticons.

Now, on to the actual story. :)

EDIT: Since some people (NOT IDW!) were complaining that I was spoiling too much, I trimmed down the summary.

So... 16 pages of story are about a runaway kid named named Verity Carter, who steals something which appears to be what the Decepticons are after. She runs into an alien conspiracy theorist named Hunter O'Nion (don't ask), who is confident that alien robots in disguise have invaded Earth two years ago.

We only see Starscream in shadows, plus the Battlechargers and Thundercracker in jet mode. And then there's a certain ambulance with a holographic driver...

Oh, the Decepticons' base is in Oregon. Wee. ;)

Page 17 is a teaser page for issue #1, which shows Ratchet's robot mode. A little blocky, but I like it. Beats the old Marvel model. Plus, he has a red helmet!

Page 18 shows DW editor Chris Ryall in a mech suit (drawn by Nick Roche). He introduces himself and claims his alias is "Chrischarger". Irks. He asks fans to send in mails and stuff.

Pages 19-21 feature an interview with Simon Furman, talking about the new direction he's going to take with "Infiltration", updates on alt modes (Starscream as an F-22) etc..

There's an interesting take on Optimus Prime and Megatron on pages 20-21. Megatron's using a lot of "toy" details, but still manages to look quite impressive. But are miles above Ugh Lee's crap.

The interview states Veritiy's last name as "Carlo". Wasn't it "Carter"? Also mentioned is some guy named Jimmy Pink (UGH!), who's going to debut in issue #1.

Pages 22-33 give us some samples of E.J.Su's artwork and a brief explanation as to who Su is and how he had been involved with Transformers before.

The last two pages feature a) a preview of all four regular covers of issue #0, as well as the two wrap-around covers, and b) the "Optimus Prime wants you!" promo poster we've seen before.

-------------------

How I rate this issue: E.J.Su can draw humans. Wee. ;)
Reserving my final judgment on his take on the Transformers until I see more of them (other than "silhouette in shadows").

Colors are an interesting departure from the Dreamwave photoshop candy colors. Got some more, how shall I put it? "Life" in them.

Writing... need to read more. This is only issue #0, after all. Hope we're actually going to see the Transformers next issue. I don't want to see six issues of talking cars and only have them finally transform on the last page of issue 6.

Overall impression: Wow, an actual story. We actually get introduced to the characters and find out some stuff about the Transformers in this world. Which is more than we got in the DW G1 vol. 1 preview. ;)

Erm, the names... are not good. Really. "Hunter O'Nion"? Its this supposed to be a cue to the online tabloid parody or what? And "Verity"? The hell? And next issue "Jimmy Pink"? Argh.

Dialogue... Okay, I guess. We get some quasi-swearing woth "Sonofa" and "Geezus". Heh.Though the two characters we get to know (Verity and Hunter) sound kinda exchangeable, which is sort of a Furman trademark.

Oh, and token fat "move on, nothing to see here" cop. Cliché as cliché can.

Overall impression: Looks kinda positive. Focus seems to be the story rather than the art, which is a plus.

One complaint, though: The "mystery" about what the Decepticons are after is kinda predictable after so many years of reading comics. Sigh.

[Denyer] Figured I'd throw in this reminder from IDW again:

"Your local comic book shops are now placing their orders for the October titles and that includes Transformers #0 "Infiltration" written by Simon Furman with art by E.J. Su. The 24-page introductory issue is priced at only $0.99 - and with four variant covers it's expected not to last long on store shelves. Don't miss out!"

"Transformers #0 "Infiltration" can be found on page 299 of the August issue of Previews (V15 #8) - Diamond Code: AUG05 2972" [/Denyer]
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Thanks for the review Nevermore, sound interesting enough. Will definetly give the Infiltration a chance.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Didn't read your post. Not going to. Don't want to be spoiled.

Which might be a good reason to label this thread with the SPOILER warning.

Anyway, I'm surprised IDW allowed this.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

*didn't read the summary either*
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Didn't read your post. Not going to. Don't want to be spoiled.

Which might be a good reason to label this thread with the SPOILER warning.

Anyway, I'm surprised IDW allowed this.

They didn't "allow" it. They did it on purpose for publicity reasons.
Darth Zax
Protoform

Post by Darth Zax »

can you see from the picture if megatron turns into a tank?
and who makes up all those names?
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

I hope this will be available in the Netherlands, because I'm enticed to give it a try.
Ah...forget it!
Darth Zax
Protoform

Post by Darth Zax »

Originally posted by T.V.
I hope this will be available in the Netherlands, because I'm enticed to give it a try.

i know i can and will buy it, here in groningen.
i bought the DW comics in that store, nowhere else where they to be found.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I forgot... Mr. O'Nion's website. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Lame use of the Prime vs. Megs cover.

Well, onions do tend make you weep... :o
Ah...forget it!
Hawkeye
Protoform

Transformers: infiltration preview @ newsarama

Post by Hawkeye »

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=41520

well here it is folks.......looks like its shaping up to be a good one.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Looks incredibly average to me.

The art's so utterly bland.

Solid enough writing in that preview, but nothing beyond average.
jepc71
Protoform

Post by jepc71 »

Still seems a little rough around the edges...but I am intrigued by it :eyebrow: Thought it was kind of neat showing the inside of a transformed decepticon.
Grimlock2983
Protoform

Post by Grimlock2983 »

Obviously, for $0.99 I'll be buying the preview; and probably the series when it launches. I can already see where the plot is going, but hopefully there will still be some surprises.
Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by jepc71
Thought it was kind of neat showing the inside of a transformed decepticon.

Inside a tranformed Decepticon? Where the heck did you see that? If that's the case, the art is sorely lacking in making things clear.

Can't really judge anything by five pages, but story is not bad so far.

Again, too early to pass judgement.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Inside a tranformed Decepticon? Where the heck did you see that? If that's the case, the art is sorely lacking in making things clear.

Page five, first picture. Had the same thought as jepc71 right away. Nice visual IMO.

Another explanation would be decepticon base.
Darth Zax
Protoform

Post by Darth Zax »

what's with the names, if it's so obvious he was the onion, mr. furman, you can expect that he will be called this way by us, the fans. and is it verity carlo or carter? is it a typo, or did she make up a name?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Osku
Page five, first picture. Had the same thought as jepc71 right away. Nice visual IMO.

Another explanation would be decepticon base.

See, that's what I mean. Even you are not sure exactly what that panel is, whether its a Decepticons innards or the inside of a Decepticon base.

That kind of mistake is akin to some of the things you saw in Micromasters, where you couldn't tell what the hell it was.

But just as Don's work improved with each issue, so too will Su's, so I'm not too worried.
jepc71
Protoform

Post by jepc71 »

The reason I guessed it was inside a transformed decipticon was because on page 2 they have a decipticon talking and looking out through his window and has that little logo with his words. Then it is the same thing on page 5 for the maybe inside the transformer, and on the frame next to it you see maybe starscream or megatron saying "find it," but not with the decipticon logo. Tricky stuff all together!
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

See, that's what I mean. Even you are not sure exactly what that panel is, whether its a Decepticons innards or the inside of a Decepticon base.
Disagree. That panel is open for different interpretations, but I don't think it's a bad one. It's either part of the decepticon base, picture from inside the decepticon or unfinished Megatron considering what's his new alt mode is going to be. ;)

Either way it makes clear that it's an alien complex place/machine we can't fully comprehend at first glance. As the story progress we propably find out what that panel showed. After all this is only 5 pages of a preview issue.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Osku
Disagree. That panel is open for different interpretations, but I don't think it's a bad one. It's either part of the decepticon base, picture from inside the decepticon or unfinished Megatron considering what's his new alt mode is going to be. ;)

Either way it makes clear that it's an alien complex place/machine we can't fully comprehend at first glance. As the story progress we propably find out what that panel showed. After all this is only 5 pages of a preview issue.

Well, it's definitely inside something. The panel says "Target Sanitized" so I'm thinking that dude who had that Palm Pilot is inside that chamber that is shown, possible inside Runamuck or Runabout.

Again, it's not clear.